* git pull
@ 2010-01-19  8:01 robin
From: robin @ 2010-01-19  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I am using the Openembedded for the beagleboard.
I had setup using below steps

export OETREE="${HOME}/OE"
mkdir -p ${OETREE} && cd ${OETREE}
git clone git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded.git openembedded
cd openembedded git checkout origin/stable/2009 -b stable/2009
cd ${OETREE}/openembedded
git pull

and then
bitbake beagleboard-demo-image

Now i wanted to update recipes folder.
git pull --rebase

It showed files which needs update. So i gave below command
git pull

But the recipes/ti folder is not updated with latest files,
which command needs to be used to update recipes directory ?

Robin

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachment (s) is for authorised use by the
intended recipient (s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential
information and/or be subject to the legal privilege of iWave Systems
Technologies Private Limited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from retaining,
using, copying, alerting or disclosing the content of this message. Thank you
for your co-operation.

* Re: git pull
@ 2010-01-19  8:09 ` robin
From: robin @ 2010-01-19  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

One more input, When i use
git pull
Already up-to-date.

and when i use
git pull --rebase
recipes/ti/ti-xdctools-native_3.15.01.59.bb: needs update
recipes/ti/ti-xdctools.inc: needs update
refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date

what is the correct command ?

Robin

@ 2010-01-19 18:37   ` Paul Wilson
From: Paul Wilson @ 2010-01-19 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I am having the same problem as Robin. Any suggestions?

Paul

On 19/01/2010 1:09 AM, robin wrote:
> One more input, When i use
> git pull
> Already up-to-date.
>
> and when i use
> git pull --rebase
> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools-native_3.15.01.59.bb: needs update
> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools.inc: needs update
> refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date
>
> what is the correct command ?
>
> Robin

* Re: git pull
@ 2010-01-19 20:13   ` Bjørn Forsman
From: Bjørn Forsman @ 2010-01-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Robin,

2010/1/19 robin <robinpv@iwavesystems.com>:
> One more input, When i use
> git pull
> Already up-to-date.
>
> and when i use
> git pull --rebase
> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools-native_3.15.01.59.bb: needs update
> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools.inc: needs update
> refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date
>
> what is the correct command ?

You have a dirty working directory. Either 'stash' your changes away or
'commit' them to get to a clean state. (Or you can blow away the changes with
'git checkout .'.) Then do git pull/rebase.

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman

* Re: git pull
@ 2010-01-23  7:22     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-01-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Paul Wilson
<paul@paulwilsonconsulting.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem as Robin. Any suggestions?

read the wiki
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/GitPhraseBook#Upgrading_your_data_.28lurking.29

> Paul
>

> On 19/01/2010 1:09 AM, robin wrote:
>>
>> One more input, When i use
>> git pull
>> Already up-to-date.
>>
>> and when i use
>> git pull --rebase
>> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools-native_3.15.01.59.bb: needs update
>> recipes/ti/ti-xdctools.inc: needs update
>> refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date
>>
>> what is the correct command ?
>>
>> Robin

* Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 11:16     ` Elvis Dowson
From: Elvis Dowson @ 2010-01-23 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,
                  I get the following error when attempting to build overo on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit version.

Can you tell me how you can resolve this?

bitbake omap3-console-image

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 143, in <module>
    main()
  File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 123, in main
    cooker.parseConfiguration()
  File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 68, in parseConfiguration
    self.parseConfigurationFile( os.path.join( "conf", "bitbake.conf" ) )
  File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 404, in parseConfigurationFile
    bb.event.fire(bb.event.ConfigParsed(self.configuration.data))
  File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/event.py", line 67, in fire
    if tmpHandler(event) == Handled:
  File "tmpHandler(e)", line 4, in tmpHandler
  File "<bb>", line 18, in check_sanity
NameError: global name 'os' is not defined

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 12:38       ` Elvis Dowson
From: Elvis Dowson @ 2010-01-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,
       I found the solution for this. I was using the older svn repository, and bitbake is now being maintained using the git repository, which has the latest updates.

Switching to the git version of the bitbake repository helped remove the error, and the build has now commenced! :-)

$ git clone git://git.openembedded.org/bitbake.git
$ cd bitbake
$ git checkout -b 1.8 --track origin/1.8
$ cd ..

@ 2010-01-23 12:39       ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2010-01-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 03:16:04PM +0400, Elvis Dowson wrote:
> Hi,
>                   I get the following error when attempting to build overo on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit version.
>
> Can you tell me how you can resolve this?
>
> bitbake omap3-console-image
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 143, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 123, in main
>     cooker.parseConfiguration()
>   File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 68, in parseConfiguration
>     self.parseConfigurationFile( os.path.join( "conf", "bitbake.conf" ) )
>   File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 404, in parseConfigurationFile
>     bb.event.fire(bb.event.ConfigParsed(self.configuration.data))
>   File "/tool/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/event.py", line 67, in fire
>     if tmpHandler(event) == Handled:
>   File "tmpHandler(e)", line 4, in tmpHandler
>   File "<bb>", line 18, in check_sanity
> NameError: global name 'os' is not defined

That is almost certainly caused by not using the latest bitbake.

Graeme

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 12:57         ` Holger Hans Peter Freyther
From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther @ 2010-01-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Saturday 23 January 2010 13:38:08 Elvis Dowson wrote:
> Hi,
>        I found the solution for this. I was using the older svn repository,
>  and bitbake is now being maintained using the git repository, which has
>  the latest updates.
>
> Switching to the git version of the bitbake repository helped remove the
>  error, and the build has now commenced! :-)

And in general we encourage users to use the release tarballs of Bitbake. This
is why you should not be able to find your git commands in the documentation on
OpenEmbedded.org

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 13:24           ` Elvis Dowson
From: Elvis Dowson @ 2010-01-23 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Hans,

On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> This is why you should not be able to find your git commands in the documentation on
> OpenEmbedded.org

Not quite sure I follow what you're trying to say ... I won't be able to find my git commands ?

BTW, I keep documenting every step, and then share it back with the Overo community. Right now experimenting with 64-bit linux platform for trying to speed up the overo-oe builds.

@ 2010-01-23 14:51             ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2010-01-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dear Elvis,

Am Samstag, den 23.01.2010, 17:24 +0400 schrieb Elvis Dowson:
> On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>
> > This is why you should not be able to find your git commands in the
> documentation on
> > OpenEmbedded.org
>
> Not quite sure I follow what you're trying to say ... I won't be able
> to find my git commands ?

You used Git to get BitBake. The needed commands you used are not
documented on OpenEmbedded.org. The reason is that it is officially
recommended by OE to use the tarballs.

> BTW, I keep documenting every step, and then share it back with the
> Overo community. Right now experimenting with 64-bit linux platform
> for trying to speed up the overo-oe builds.

Great!

Thanks,

Paul

[-- Attachment #2: Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil --]

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 16:38             ` Holger Hans Peter Freyther
From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther @ 2010-01-23 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Saturday 23 January 2010 14:24:30 Elvis Dowson wrote:

> Not quite sure I follow what you're trying to say ... I won't be able to
>  find my git commands ?

Don't use git to get your bitbake, use a released version.

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-23 19:40               ` Elvis Dowson
From: Elvis Dowson @ 2010-01-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

On Jan 23, 2010, at 6:51 PM, Paul Menzel wrote:

> You used Git to get BitBake. The needed commands you used are not
> documented on OpenEmbedded.org. The reason is that it is officially
> recommended by OE to use the tarballs.

Oh, okay!! Most of the people who use bitbake for overo development always pull from the latest sources. Perhaps that is why we endup getting so many problems once in a while.

When I search for a solution to the os problem, I found that it was fixed in the latest release of bitbake in the git repository.

Best regards,

Elvis

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-24 13:50           ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-01-24 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Saturday 23 January 2010 13:38:08 Elvis Dowson wrote:

> > Hi, I found the solution for this. I was using the older svn
> > repository, and bitbake is now being maintained using the git
> > repository, which has the latest updates.
> >
> > Switching to the git version of the bitbake repository helped
> > remove the error, and the build has now commenced! :-)
>
> And in general we encourage users to use the release tarballs of
> Bitbake. This is why you should not be able to find your git
> commands in the documentation on OpenEmbedded.org

  just catching up on this thread ... i'm confused, what does it mean
to say, "you should not be able to find your git commands in the
documentation on OpenEmbedded.org"?  does that mean that the
development version of bitbake has additional commands above and
beyond the latest tarball release that aren't documented?  or what?

  also, while i appreciate that you encourage people to use the stable
version of bitbake, i don't think you should be so discouraging
regarding people who want to use the git checkout.  as long as people
realize it's a development version, why would you want to talk people
out of using it and helping you identify possible bugs?

  as long as users know the risks, i'd personally *encourage* them to
use the dev version, and reports bugs they find.  the more testers,
the better, no?

rday

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-24 15:10             ` Holger Hans Peter Freyther
From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther @ 2010-01-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sunday 24 January 2010 14:50:39 Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   as long as users know the risks, i'd personally *encourage* them to
> use the dev version, and reports bugs they find.  the more testers,
> the better, no?

It really depends. People following the getting started documentation are
normally not in the class of users that know the risks?! Do you agree?

On the other hand I agree totally agree that more testers the better, but IMO
this would also mean that they follow the low volume bitbake-dev mailinglist,
to get information like the svn->git switch, branches and such?!

love
	z.

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-24 15:34               ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-01-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Sunday 24 January 2010 14:50:39 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   as long as users know the risks, i'd personally *encourage* them
> > to use the dev version, and reports bugs they find.  the more
> > testers, the better, no?
>
> It really depends. People following the getting started
> documentation are normally not in the class of users that know the
> risks?! Do you agree?

  absolutely, which is why i qualified that recommendation with "as
long as users know the risks", with the risks (or at least reasonable
cautions) pointed out to them.

> On the other hand I agree totally agree that more testers the
> better, but IMO this would also mean that they follow the low volume
> bitbake-dev mailinglist, to get information like the svn->git
> switch, branches and such?!

  i'm currently updating the bitbake manual (yes, you should be
nervous) and i noticed that there is nothing early on about how to
*get* bitbake.  so i'm going to add a short section, suggesting first
to use the latest official tarball (explaining where to get it),
followed by a section for more advanced users on how to check it out,
with the appropriate cautions.

  there will be a HUGE caution added that people should make sure
they're not running an old version.

rday

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-25  2:45                 ` Holger Hans Peter Freyther
From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther @ 2010-01-25  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Sunday 24 January 2010 16:34:43 Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > On the other hand I agree totally agree that more testers the
> > better, but IMO this would also mean that they follow the low volume
> > bitbake-dev mailinglist, to get information like the svn->git
> > switch, branches and such?!
>
>   i'm currently updating the bitbake manual (yes, you should be
> nervous) and i noticed that there is nothing early on about how to
> *get* bitbake.  so i'm going to add a short section, suggesting first
> to use the latest official tarball (explaining where to get it),
> followed by a section for more advanced users on how to check it out,
> with the appropriate cautions.

Thanks a lot for doing this update.

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-25 11:49                   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-01-25 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Sunday 24 January 2010 16:34:43 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > > On the other hand I agree totally agree that more testers the
> > > better, but IMO this would also mean that they follow the low
> > > volume bitbake-dev mailinglist, to get information like the
> > > svn->git switch, branches and such?!
> >
> >   i'm currently updating the bitbake manual (yes, you should be
> > nervous) and i noticed that there is nothing early on about how to
> > *get* bitbake.  so i'm going to add a short section, suggesting
> > first to use the latest official tarball (explaining where to get
> > it), followed by a section for more advanced users on how to check
> > it out, with the appropriate cautions.
>
> Thanks a lot for doing this update.

  still working on it, but a question.  a while back, i observed that
one of the OE branches (stable/2009?) came with bitbake built in,
while the other i work with (dev) did not.  or was it the other way
around?  and there was some confusion as to why the situation would be
different between the two branches.

  can i document that, no matter what branch one is working with, the
proper approach is to download bitbake separately and make sure that's
the one that's being invoked.  (i might add a short side note that
some branches came with bitbake built in, but users should *not* take
advantage of that.)

  does that sound reasonable?

rday

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-25 12:15                     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-01-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-25 12:35                       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-01-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Koen Kooi wrote:

> On 25-01-10 12:49, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   still working on it, but a question.  a while back, i observed
> > that one of the OE branches (stable/2009?) came with bitbake built
> > in, while the other i work with (dev) did not.  or was it the
> > other way around?  and there was some confusion as to why the
> > situation would be different between the two branches.
> >
> >   can i document that, no matter what branch one is working with,
> > the proper approach is to download bitbake separately and make
> > sure that's the one that's being invoked.  (i might add a short
> > side note that some branches came with bitbake built in, but users
> > should *not* take advantage of that.)
> >
> >   does that sound reasonable?
>
> *If* is has bitbake builtin, users should use that one, as it is
> certain that bitbake will match the metadata. You can opt to choose
> to install a bitbake yourself, but then it's up to you to make sure
> bitbake and OE match. Since stable/2009 is a long term branch we
> decided to put bitbake in there to remove at least on point of
> failure.

  ok, i'll point that out, thanks.

rday

* Re: Bitbake build error on Fedora 12 x86 64-bit
@ 2010-01-27 16:54         ` Elvis Dowson
From: Elvis Dowson @ 2010-01-27 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Graeme Gregory wrote:

> That is almost certainly caused by not using the latest bitbake.

Yes, figured that one out 2 days ago!! :-)

Elvis