* git commit --cleanup and templates
@ 2010-01-20 16:37 Sebastian Schuberth
From: Sebastian Schuberth @ 2010-01-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

when I recently for the first time used commit templates, I was
surprised to see that git by default strips leading empty lines that I
deliberately added to the template file when opening the template in the
editor. I understand that I could use a different cleanup mode, but in
fact I *want* git to clean everything, but only *after* I finished
editing the commit message, not already when opening the editor.

Before submitting a patch, I'd like to hear what other people think
about this, or whether I'm overseeing something.

Thanks.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

* Re: git commit --cleanup and templates
@ 2010-01-27 11:48 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2010-01-27 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Schuberth; +Cc: git

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 05:37:47PM +0100, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:

> when I recently for the first time used commit templates, I was
> surprised to see that git by default strips leading empty lines that
> I deliberately added to the template file when opening the template
> in the editor. I understand that I could use a different cleanup
> mode, but in fact I *want* git to clean everything, but only *after*
> I finished editing the commit message, not already when opening the
> editor.
>
> Before submitting a patch, I'd like to hear what other people think
> about this, or whether I'm overseeing something.

Nobody has responded, so I doubt anybody has strong objections (or maybe
they just didn't read your message. :) ).

Personally, the behavior you are proposing makes more sense to me, and I
don't think you will really be hurting anybody by changing it. You will
not affect the final commit message, but only what the user sees in
their editor. And if people are really attached to not having extra
whitespace in the editor, then they can simply clean up their templates.

So I would suggest working on a patch if it is something you want.

-Peff