* Difficulties building java
@ 2010-01-22 20:37 Mark Butsch
From: Mark Butsch @ 2010-01-22 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org'

Hello,

I am trying to build java under OE and I am having some difficulties. I have used the wiki page to get me as far as I am, but I am stuck.

I have an x86 64-bit build machine, using the Angstrom distro, my target is generic i686.

From the wiki, I am have the following in my conf/machine file:

-----
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial = "cacao-initial"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-initial = "0.98"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "cacao-native"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-native = "0.99.3"

#PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"
# I switched to openjdk because I encountered errors with ecj-bootstrap
#
PREFFERED_VERSION_libecj-bootstrap = "3.4"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "openjdk-javac-native"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_classpath = "classpath"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-initial = "0.93"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-native = "0.97.2"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_swt3.4-gtk = "swt3.4-gtk"

PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao= "0.99.4"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath= "0.98"
-----

The error I am stuck at currently is:

ERROR: Build of /home/oe/openembedded/recipes/classpath/classpath_0.98.bb do_configure failed

From the log.do_configure file:

checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport works... yes
checking if java works... configure: error: The Java compiler ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedIm
port failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
FATAL: oe_runconf failed

Mark

* Re: Difficulties building java
@ 2010-01-22 21:47 ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2010-01-22 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dear Mark,

Am Freitag, den 22.01.2010, 15:37 -0500 schrieb Mark Butsch:

[…]

> The error I am stuck at currently is:
>
> ERROR: Build of /home/oe/openembedded/recipes/classpath/classpath_0.98.bb do_configure failed
>
> >From the log.do_configure file:
>
> checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport works... yes
> checking if java works... configure: error: The Java compiler ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedIm
> port failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
> FATAL: oe_runconf failed

I have no idea, but can find this mentioned `config.log` and look if
anything interesting is in there?

Thanks,

Paul

[-- Attachment #2: Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil --]

* Re: Difficulties building java
@ 2010-01-27 21:49   ` Mark Butsch
From: Mark Butsch @ 2010-01-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org'

Paul Menzel wrote on Friday, January 22, 2010 4:47 PM

> To: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
> Subject: Re: [oe] Difficulties building java
>
> Dear Mark,
>

> Am Freitag, den 22.01.2010, 15:37 -0500 schrieb Mark Butsch:
>
> […]
>
> > The error I am stuck at currently is:
> >
> > ERROR: Build of
> > /home/oe/openembedded/recipes/classpath/classpath_0.98.bb do_configure
> > failed
> >
> > >From the log.do_configure file:
> >
> > checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport works... yes
> > checking if java works... configure: error: The Java compiler ecj
> > -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedIm
> > port failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
> > FATAL: oe_runconf failed
>
> I have no idea, but can find this mentioned `config.log` and look if anything interesting is in there?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

The message:

	"configure: error: The Java compiler ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport
	failed (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?"

came from the log.do_configure file which I believe is what the "see config.log" is
referring to.

I forgot to mention that I am using "stable/2009" branch.

I have been trying different combinations of PREFERRED_PROVIDERS and VERSIONS with no success.

I searched my openembedded email archive and found someone had a similar error back in June of 2009,
But there was no solution posted.

I also found a wiki article that described using the Jalimo-Overlay to build OpenJDK, but I haven't had any
Success with it either.

Is the Jalimo-Overlay required to build Java in OE or only in certain cases?

Still confused,

@ 2010-01-28 11:04     ` Henning Heinold
From: Henning Heinold @ 2010-01-28 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 04:49:13PM -0500, Mark Butsch wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I am using "stable/2009" branch.

Hm seems stable branch is not in the right shape for java stuff.

> I have been trying different combinations of PREFERRED_PROVIDERS and VERSIONS with no success.
>
> I searched my openembedded email archive and found someone had a similar error back in June of 2009,
> But there was no solution posted.
>
> I also found a wiki article that described using the Jalimo-Overlay to build OpenJDK, but I haven't had any
> Success with it either.
> Is the Jalimo-Overlay required to build Java in OE or only in certain cases?

Only the openjdk recipes are left in the jalimo svn all other was merged into dev. So you might need
a checkout before this merge for the stable oe branch to work.

> Still confused,
>
> Mark

Sorry,

we dont have yet the time to work on the stable branch to get java into shape.

Bye Henning

* Re: Difficulties building java
@ 2010-01-29 20:58       ` Mark Butsch
From: Mark Butsch @ 2010-01-29 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org'

on Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:05 AM, Henning Heinold wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 04:49:13PM -0500, Mark Butsch wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that I am using "stable/2009" branch.
>
> Hm seems stable branch is not in the right shape for java stuff.
> >
> > I have been trying different combinations of PREFERRED_PROVIDERS and VERSIONS with no success.
> >
> > I searched my openembedded email archive and found someone had a similar error back in June of 2009,
> > But there was no solution posted.
> >
> > I also found a wiki article that described using the Jalimo-Overlay to build OpenJDK, but I haven't had any
> > Success with it either.
> > Is the Jalimo-Overlay required to build Java in OE or only in certain cases?
>
> Only the openjdk recipes are left in the jalimo svn all other was merged into dev. So you might need
> a checkout before this merge for the stable oe branch to work.
> >
> > Still confused,
> >
> > Mark
>
> Sorry,
>
> we dont have yet the time to work on the stable branch to get java into shape.
>
> Bye Henning

Well, I switched over to using the "org.openembedded.dev" branch and did a "git pull" to make sure it was
Up to date.

I still get the same error when building "classpath". From the log.do_configure file:
-----
configure: WARNING: I have to compile Test.class from scratch
checking for ecj... ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport
checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport is a version of gcj... directory does not exist: --version
checking if ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport works... yes
checking if java works... configure: error: The Java compiler ecj -warn:-deprecation,serial,unusedImport failed
   (see config.log, check the CLASSPATH?)
FATAL: oe_runconf failed
--------

I am using the following:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial = "cacao-initial"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-initial = "0.98"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "cacao-native"
PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-native = "0.99.3"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"
PREFFERED_VERSION_libecj-bootstrap = "3.4"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_classpath = "classpath"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-initial = "0.93"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-native = "0.97.2"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_swt3.4-gtk = "swt3.4-gtk"

PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao= "0.99.4"
PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath= "0.98"

Are these a good combination? I am building on an x86-64 machine for i686 target with Angstrom as my distro.

Suggestions on what to try/investigate?

Thanks in advance,

@ 2010-01-30 15:02         ` Henning Heinold
From: Henning Heinold @ 2010-01-30 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:58:39PM -0500, Mark Butsch wrote:
> I am using the following:
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial = "cacao-initial"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-initial = "0.98"
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "cacao-native"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao-native = "0.99.3"
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/javac-native = "ecj-bootstrap-native"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_libecj-bootstrap = "3.4"
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_classpath = "classpath"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-initial = "0.93"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath-native = "0.97.2"
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_swt3.4-gtk = "swt3.4-gtk"
>
> PREFFERED_VERSION_cacao= "0.99.4"
> PREFFERED_VERSION_classpath= "0.98"
>
> Are these a good combination? I am building on an x86-64 machine for i686 target with Angstrom as my distro.
>
> Suggestions on what to try/investigate?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

sorry but cacao dont work this well these days, please use jamvm for java-native and java-inital.

Bye Henning