* [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-04 10:21 wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-04 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

First: I'm sorry for this strange topic behaviour, but I don't know how to write
real answers (I tried in the test list, but didn't work either).

>I gahther this is a new installation and you would only lose
>a few hours of configuration work, correct?

No. It was a fully working installtion. I wouldn't car that much about this
problem, but I wanted to backup my stuff last weeekend (old backup was messed
up). So basicly I'm standing here without any backup from the last few years...

>For example if
>you have, say, 12 characters and 9 of them are the same on most
>keymaps, then you could try a direct brute force.

I had the same idea last night. although my password is about 20 characters long
a brute force attack shouldn't take too long, because there are 4 special Chars
[eg ()_-] and 8 numbers. Letters shouldn't be the problem, numbers too...

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-04 13:49 ` Arno Wagner
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Arno Wagner @ 2010-02-04 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:21:26AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
> First: I'm sorry for this strange topic behaviour, but I don't know how to
> write real answers (I tried in the test list, but didn't work either).
>
> >I gahther this is a new installation and you would only lose
> >a few hours of configuration work, correct?
>
> No. It was a fully working installtion. I wouldn't car that much about
> this problem, but I wanted to backup my stuff last weeekend (old backup
> was messed up). So basicly I'm standing here without any backup from the
> last few years...

So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
keyboard?

> >For example if
> >you have, say, 12 characters and 9 of them are the same on most
> >keymaps, then you could try a direct brute force.
>
> I had the same idea last night. although my password is about 20
> characters long a brute force attack shouldn't take too long, because
> there are 4 special Chars [eg ()_-] and 8 numbers. Letters shouldn't be
> the problem, numbers too...

Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
Specials you will have to try some alternatives.

Sounds doable.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05  8:24   ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Am 04.02.2010 14:49, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:21:26AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
>> First: I'm sorry for this strange topic behaviour, but I don't know how to
>> write real answers (I tried in the test list, but didn't work either).
>>
>>> I gahther this is a new installation and you would only lose
>>> a few hours of configuration work, correct?
>>
>> No. It was a fully working installtion. I wouldn't car that much about
>> this problem, but I wanted to backup my stuff last weeekend (old backup
>> was messed up). So basicly I'm standing here without any backup from the
>> last few years...
>
> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
> keyboard?

Yes and No, I didn't change anything... Thats why I think it has to be
something with the keyboard...

>>> For example if
>>> you have, say, 12 characters and 9 of them are the same on most
>>> keymaps, then you could try a direct brute force.
>>
>> I had the same idea last night. although my password is about 20
>> characters long a brute force attack shouldn't take too long, because
>> there are 4 special Chars [eg ()_-] and 8 numbers. Letters shouldn't be
>> the problem, numbers too...
>
> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>
> Sounds doable.
>
> Arno

I avoided y z, so there should be no problem... Any suggestions how to
go on further?

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05  8:28   ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-05  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
> keyboard?

Yes and No sadly not... Thats why I start doubting this error was caused by some
error or whatever...

> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>
> Sounds doable.
>
> Arno

I avoided y and z, so this drops out. Even when you check all the possibilities
of special chars it should be doable, cause there are "only" 5 of them...

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05 10:04   ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-05 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Arno Wagner <arno@...> writes:
> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
> keyboard?
Yes without any problems and no, still same piece of ... well its old ;D
> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>
> Sounds doable.
>
> Arno
I avoided y z. So there shouldn't be a problem...

(Damn I just hope I didn't mess up the whole list. Its kinda mess when i try to
answer through the web interface...)

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05 14:48     ` Ma Begaj
From: Ma Begaj @ 2010-02-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

2010/2/5 wucherpfennig <studhalter.daniel@bluewin.ch>:
> Am 04.02.2010 14:49, schrieb Arno Wagner:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:21:26AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
>>>
>>> First: I'm sorry for this strange topic behaviour, but I don't know how
>>> write real answers (I tried in the test list, but didn't work either).

>>> No. It was a fully working installtion. I wouldn't car that much about
>>> this problem, but I wanted to backup my stuff last weeekend (old backup
>>> was messed up). So basicly I'm standing here without any backup from the
>>> last few years...
>>
>> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
>> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
>> keyboard?
>
> Yes and No, I didn't change anything... Thats why I think it has to be
> something with the keyboard...

>>> I had the same idea last night. although my password is about 20
>>> characters long a brute force attack shouldn't take too long, because
>>> there are 4 special Chars [eg ()_-] and 8 numbers. Letters shouldn't be
>>> the problem, numbers too...
>>
>> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
>> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>>
>> Sounds doable.
>>
>> Arno
>
> I avoided y z, so there should be no problem... Any suggestions how to go on
> further?

Why don't you made a custom initrd image which would print out what
you type to be sure that you use right password. You just need to
catch password with "read" and print it out.

I have such an image somewhere and I could send/modify it if you are
not able to make it yourself. You would just need to put in your
lilo.conf or whatever boot manager you use.

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05 17:58     ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2010-02-05 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:04:54AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
> Arno Wagner <arno@...> writes:
> > So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
> > this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
> > keyboard?
> Yes without any problems and no, still same piece of ... well its old ;D
> > Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
> > Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
> >
> > Sounds doable.
> >
> > Arno
> I avoided y z. So there shouldn't be a problem...
>
> (Damn I just hope I didn't mess up the whole list. Its kinda mess
> when i try to
> answer through the web interface...)

You answer is a bit distributed over several messages, but no problem.

What is not really interesting is hwat caused the problem.
Ok, here are some more ideas: Maybe a key on the keyboard
is broken and does not work or does not work reliably
anymore. Maybe actually some othe error happens after
a successful decrypt an it only looks like it does not
start.

Is this plain dm-crypt? (It it is old...)

Arno
--

@ 2010-02-09  7:42       ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-09  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Am 05.02.2010 15:48, schrieb Ma Begaj:
> 2010/2/5 wucherpfennig<studhalter.daniel@bluewin.ch>:

>>> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
>>> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
>>> keyboard?
>>
>> Yes and No, I didn't change anything... Thats why I think it has to be
>> something with the keyboard...

>>> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
>>> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>>>
>>> Sounds doable.
>>>
>>> Arno
>>
>> I avoided y z, so there should be no problem... Any suggestions how to go on
>> further?
>>

> Why don't you made a custom initrd image which would print out what
> you type to be sure that you use right password. You just need to
> catch password with "read" and print it out.
>
> I have such an image somewhere and I could send/modify it if you are
> not able to make it yourself. You would just need to put in your
> lilo.conf or whatever boot manager you use.

Well, I don't know if thats necessary. If it doen't work from a live cd
why should it work with a diffrent initrd image...?

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-09  7:45       ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-09  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Am 05.02.2010 18:58, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:04:54AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
>> Arno Wagner<arno@...>  writes:
>>> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
>>> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
>>> keyboard?
>> Yes without any problems and no, still same piece of ... well its old ;D
>>> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
>>> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>>>
>>> Sounds doable.
>>>
>>> Arno
>> I avoided y z. So there shouldn't be a problem...
>>
>> (Damn I just hope I didn't mess up the whole list. Its kinda mess
>> when i try to
>> answer through the web interface...)
>
> You answer is a bit distributed over several messages, but no problem.
>
> What is not really interesting is hwat caused the problem.
> Ok, here are some more ideas: Maybe a key on the keyboard
> is broken and does not work or does not work reliably
> anymore. Maybe actually some othe error happens after
> a successful decrypt an it only looks like it does not
> start.
>
> Is this plain dm-crypt? (It it is old...)
>
> Arno

It doesn't seem that there is a error with my keyboard. With a live cd
an in windows there are no problems with it...

I used the default encryption wich ubuntu suggested. I modified the
installation but encryption itself is default

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-05  8:31   ` wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-05  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Am 04.02.2010 20:19, schrieb Heinz Diehl:
> On 04.02.2010, wucherpfennig wrote:
>
>> It's me again. I don't know whether I have to check all languages or anybody can
>> explain what happened?
>
> Did you try to load the US keymap, and did you type your password after
> that? If you tried, and the result was not satisfying, you should type
> your password in a console which has loaded the US keymap, note that on a
> piece of paper, and enter it next time you boot your encrypted partition.

I tried that just right now. With US keymap I typed my password
according to the physical layout I see on my table and "translated" to
US keymap, means I wrote down all the keys I have to modify to get the
password like I entered/confirmed with CH layout... Don't know whether
you thought I should do i right that?

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-04 19:19 ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2010-02-04 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

@ 2010-02-04  7:35 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2010-02-04  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:46:46AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
> It's me again. I don't know whether I have to check all languages or anybody can
> explain what happened?

It looks like you have to check all languages that are possible.
You may narrow it down by looking at what could have happen and
by looking at the characters in your passphrase. For example if
you have, say, 12 characters and 9 of them are the same on most
keymaps, then you could try a direct brute force.

> (Probably a script could solve this time wasting exercise?)

It could, but iot looks like you have to write it yourself.

> Anyway, I don't think it's about keyboard settings.

The other option is that you mistyped on creation. One reason
to allways test the passphrase afterwards before doing anything
with the crypto-container.

> (Well I hope it is such a "little" error and nothing serious) I always use
> the settings german switzerland. I remember, while setting up ubuntu, that
> I checked my layout before I entered my password. So I know, what I
> wrote/write. Is there really no way to check my headers or whatever if
> they are broken?

If this is LUKS, then if it asks you for a passphrase,
they should be fine. If is is plain dm-crypt, then there
are no headers that could be corrupt.

> Or which languages do I have to check else? (I checked
> several usa, uk,german, swiss layouts...)

It all depends on what you did wrong.

> pls some help before I have to run over the whole disk...

I gahther this is a new installation and you would only lose
a few hours of configuration work, correct?

I think in that case, doing it again and this time testing the
password at your earliest oportunity would be the best option.
For an encrypted boot, it may also be highly advisable to thest
whether you can decrypt it witha life-cd or unencrypted recovery
system.

@ 2010-02-04  0:46 wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-04  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

It's me again. I don't know whether I have to check all languages or anybody can
explain what happened?
(Probably a script could solve this time wasting exercise?)
Anyway, I don't think it's about keyboard settings. (Well I hope it is such a
"little" error and nothing serious) I always use the settings german
switzerland. I remember, while setting up ubuntu, that I checked my layout
before I entered my password. So I know, what I wrote/write. Is there really no
way to check my headers or whatever if they are broken? Or which languages do I

@ 2010-02-03 20:13 wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-03 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Well, when I set up my system I used "ch" (swiss german) as keyboard layout. The
keyboard layout used in the boot process isn't the same as your running system
uses? So I have to check about a zillion possibilities ^^?

* Re: [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-03 19:10 ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2010-02-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On 03.02.2010, wucherpfennig wrote:

> Only thing I can imagine is that im using the wrong keyboard layout, but how
> could I check that? I never saw my input in the boot progress '^^.

I'm quite shure you entered the wrong passphrase. The cause of this seems
to be that you have used a different keymap than you are using now. With
other words: the passphrase you enter is the wrong one, although the keys
you press indicate the correct passphrase.

You'll have to find out what keymap you did use as you entered the
passphrase for the first time. If you can't remember, try the most common
ones first: your native language, and the US one. See "man loadkeys" for
how to switch.

> New try with the daily live CD gives me sometimes this error:
> device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy

This has nothing to do with your problem at all, you can ignore this
warning. It's most likely udev/blkid related.

* [dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot
@ 2010-02-03 15:32 wucherpfennig
From: wucherpfennig @ 2010-02-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi,

Strange thing happend 4 days ago. I just wanted to reboot my computer and now
I'm no longer able to boot o0. My system is runnig with a full encryption with
luks/cryptsetup. I'm using a passphrase to unlock my first partition and it will
unlock the others by itself. So far so good. But now it doesnt work anymore...
I'm not sure what I did before, but what I know, I didn't change anything! about
cryptsetup. I did only a little "update" with the recommended packages from the
repositories (guess only 4-5 updated) :(

I already checked with live cd and same thing there. Not able to unlock any
device (what seems strange to me, cause there are 4 of them and all corrupted at
the same time...?)

I always get the error message:
unlock failed, bad password or options? (on boot)
Command failed: No key available with this passphrase (live cd)

First thing I did was checking wheter all modules are loaded:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sha256_generic         11580  0
cbc                     3516  1
aes_i586                8124  2
aes_generic            27484  1 aes_i586
cx88_blackbird         16608  0
cx2341x                13440  1 cx88_blackbird
wm8775                  3660  1
arc4                    1660  2
ecb                     2524  2
binfmt_misc             8356  1
ppdev                   6688  0
lp                      8964  0
parport                35340  2 ppdev,lp
snd_hda_codec_realtek   203328  1
cx22702                 5760  1
cx88_dvb               21088  0
cx88_vp3054_i2c         2524  1 cx88_dvb
videobuf_dvb            7040  1 cx88_dvb
dvb_core               87364  2 cx88_dvb,videobuf_dvb
tuner_simple           14832  2
tuner_types            14396  1 tuner_simple
snd_hda_intel          26920  2
tda9887                10496  1
tda8290                12960  0
snd_hda_codec          75708  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               7200  1 snd_hda_codec
tuner                  21540  2
snd_seq_dummy           2656  0
cx88_alsa              10596  1
snd_seq_oss            28576  0
snd_pcm_oss            37920  0
snd_mixer_oss          16028  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_midi            6432  0
iptable_filter          3100  0
snd_rawmidi            22208  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm                75296  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,cx88_alsa,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_midi_event      6940  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
ip_tables              11692  1 iptable_filter
cx8800                 30712  1 cx88_blackbird
ath9k                 258744  0
cx8802                 15264  2 cx88_blackbird,cx88_dvb
mac80211              181236  1 ath9k
cx88xx                 77644  5 cx88_blackbird,cx88_dvb,cx88_alsa,cx8800,cx8802
snd_seq                50224  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
x_tables               16544  1 ip_tables
ir_common              48512  1 cx88xx
led_class               4096  1 ath9k
i2c_algo_bit            5760  2 cx88_vp3054_i2c,cx88xx
ath                     8060  1 ath9k
v4l2_common            17500  6 cx88_blackbird,cx2341x,wm8775,tuner,cx8800,cx88xx
videodev               36736  6
cx88_blackbird,wm8775,tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common
snd_timer              22276  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
v4l1_compat            14496  1 videodev
tveeprom               11872  1 cx88xx
snd_seq_device          6920  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
videobuf_dma_sg        12544  6
cx88_blackbird,cx88_dvb,cx88_alsa,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
joydev                 10272  0
psmouse                56180  0
videobuf_core          17952  6
cx88_blackbird,videobuf_dvb,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx,videobuf_dma_sg
cfg80211               93052  3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
btcx_risc               4740  4 cx88_alsa,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
serio_raw               5280  0
snd                    59204  19
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,
snd_hwdep,cx88_alsa,snd_seq_oss,snd_pcm_oss,
snd_mixer_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7264  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9156  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
dm_crypt               12928  1
i2c_piix4               9932  0
squashfs               22912  1
aufs                  149420  1
nls_iso8859_1           3740  1
nls_cp437               5372  1
vfat                   10716  1
fat                    51452  1 vfat
dm_raid45              84228  0
xor                    15620  1 dm_raid45
hid_logitech            8412  0
ff_memless              5188  1 hid_logitech
usbhid                 38208  1 hid_logitech
ohci1394               29900  0
ieee1394               86596  1 ohci1394
usb_storage            52544  1
floppy                 54916  0
r8169                  32064  0
mii                     5212  1 r8169
ati_agp                 6760  0
agpgart                34988  1 ati_agp[/CODE]

seems right to me. So I tried to unlock with
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda8 crypt8
but that doesn't work...

i dunno wheter my header is corrupted
LUKS header information for /dev/sda8

Version:       	1
Cipher name:   	aes
Cipher mode:   	cbc-essiv:sha256
Hash spec:     	sha1
Payload offset:	2056
MK bits:       	256
MK digest:     	7d 47 0e 87 a6 e2 4a 20 64 0c 3d d6 bb c5 5a 7e 6b 3d f3 02
MK salt:       	c2 3f 69 b9 da 76 d9 36 49 f3 ad 4d 4b d5 e2 4e
               	92 08 f6 0d ca 43 e7 e1 64 8f 8a 8d 67 03 e7 00
MK iterations: 	10
UUID:          	3fea3f31-87f0-40c7-abc7-4d11759816fd

Key Slot 0: ENABLED
	Iterations:         	449263
	Salt:               	fe 79 7d 7c 77 3b 4b 47 4d b1 f0 50 62 e8 d8 e5
	                      	33 30 52 28 45 84 2f 0b 23 67 80 c2 0d f1 21 ac
	Key material offset:	8
	AF stripes:            	4000
Key Slot 1: ENABLED
	Iterations:         	422731
	Salt:               	e4 9e 6c e7 6b f2 91 63 4f 28 83 58 73 c0 17 0b
	                      	9e 85 65 de 90 fa 90 cf 54 4d 48 ac 49 0c 6f 7e
	Key material offset:	264
	AF stripes:            	4000
Key Slot 2: ENABLED
	Iterations:         	420163
	Salt:               	1c ef 1d 1a a5 94 2d c9 6b c2 21 0d be bc 63 78
	                      	66 99 26 f9 a0 56 b1 91 15 3b 9d fb c1 8d fd d8
	Key material offset:	520
	AF stripes:            	4000
Key Slot 3: DISABLED
Key Slot 4: DISABLED
Key Slot 5: DISABLED
Key Slot 6: DISABLED
Key Slot 7: DISABLED

Only thing I can imagine is that im using the wrong keyboard layout, but how
could I check that? I never saw my input in the boot progress '^^.

New try with the daily live CD gives me sometimes this error:

device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy

any suggestions?

I appreciate any help! ;)