* cvsimport error when modulename is '.'
@ 2010-02-13 11:51 Daniel Black
From: Daniel Black @ 2010-02-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

in an empty directory I'm attempting the command:

git  cvsimport -A ../authcvs-conv -k -m -v -d:pserver:anonymous@opendkim.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/opendkim .

this results in ...

Initialized empty Git repository in /home/dan/software_projects/opendkim-import4/.git/
Running cvsps...
connect error: Network is unreachable
cvs rlog: Logging .
NOTICE: used alternate strip path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c
WARNING: file /cvsroot/opendkim/BRANCHES doesn't match strip_path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c. ignoring
WARNING: file /cvsroot/opendkim/FEATURES doesn't match strip_path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c. ignoring
for every file up until the end:
Fetching vsignore   v 1.1
Unknown: error

The resulting directory is empty apart from a empty initialised git repository.

git version 1.7.0.rc2.13.g8b233.dirty
cvsps version 2.1

numerous permutations of attempting this import have failed. Also fails with
 the CVS module aliases 'world -> .' and attempting to use "world" as an alias name.

I'm happy to assist in debugging this if required.

Daniel
OpenDKIM developer

* Re: cvsimport error when modulename is '.'
@ 2010-02-14  7:07 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2010-02-14  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Black; +Cc: git

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:51:42PM +1100, Daniel Black wrote:

> git  cvsimport -A ../authcvs-conv -k -m -v -d:pserver:anonymous@opendkim.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/opendkim .
>
> this results in ...
>
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/dan/software_projects/opendkim-import4/.git/
> Running cvsps...
> connect error: Network is unreachable
> cvs rlog: Logging .
> NOTICE: used alternate strip path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c
> WARNING: file /cvsroot/opendkim/BRANCHES doesn't match strip_path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c. ignoring
> WARNING: file /cvsroot/opendkim/FEATURES doesn't match strip_path /cvsroot/opendkim/.c. ignoring

These messages are not coming from git-cvsimport, but rather from cvsps,
which cvsimport uses to generate whole patchsets from the CVS data. Just
running "cvsps ." results in similar errors, and I don't see an obvious
way to do what you want. So probably it would require a patch to cvsps
to fix.

If this is a one-shot import, you can try a few different things.

As a hack, if you can move files in the CVS repository (and if you
can't, try using cvssuck or similar to pull them locally, and then do
the import from there), then move everything to a submodule "foo", and
import that module.

Alternatively, you might check out some of the alternative importers
like parsecvs or cvs2git. I don't know if they would handle this
situation better.

And as a super-hacky alternative, you could import each module
separately and then stich them all together using git-filter-branch.

-Peff

* Re: cvsimport error when modulename is '.'
@ 2010-02-16 11:21   ` Daniel Black
From: Daniel Black @ 2010-02-16 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

On Sunday 14 February 2010 18:07:58 Jeff King wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:51:42PM +1100, Daniel Black wrote:

> These messages are not coming from git-cvsimport, but rather from cvsps,

thanks for narrowing it down. I'll see if I can track down the maintainer
there.

> which cvsimport uses to generate whole patchsets from the CVS data. Just
> running "cvsps ." results in similar errors, and I don't see an obvious
> way to do what you want. So probably it would require a patch to cvsps
> to fix.

thanks for confirming this.

> If this is a one-shot import, you can try a few different things.

was hoping not too but i might be able to get the project team on board with a
one-shot.

> As a hack, if you can move files in the CVS repository

on sf its easy as you've got read rsync access on the source

> (and if you
> can't, try using cvssuck or similar to pull them locally, and then do
> the import from there), then move everything to a submodule "foo", and
> import that module.

might to this .

> Alternatively, you might check out some of the alternative importers
> like parsecvs or cvs2git. I don't know if they would handle this
> situation better.

ok

> And as a super-hacky alternative, you could import each module
> separately and then stich them all together using git-filter-branch.

Yep was thinking of this. Thanks for the expert advice on the stiching
together because i had no idea how.

Much appreciate your time for putting together these options.

Thanks Jeff.