* Asoc with TWL4030 on overo
@ 2010-03-18  7:23 Rok Markovič
From: Rok Markovič @ 2010-03-18  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hi

I am trying to play sound on overo board. With latest kernel I cannot get
any sound, while with kernel 2.6.33-rc6-07400-ga05966f-dirty sound is
played by ALSA correctly. I am using ALSA 1.0.22 with asound.conf like
this:
pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
        card 0
}

With both kernels I get the same output, and when I execute aplay or
amixer everything looks correctly.

Kernel output:
cpuidle: using governor menu
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-0
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-1
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-2
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-3
No device for DAI omap-mcbsp-dai-4
overo SoC init
asoc: twl4030 <-> omap-mcbsp-dai-0 mapping ok
ALSA device list:
  #0: overo (twl4030)

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [overo          ]: twl4030 - overo
                      overo (twl4030)

# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

Regards,
Rok

--
Rok Markovič
Kanardia d.o.o.

Tel: +386 40 360 963
Fax: +386 590 11 416
E-mail: rok.markovic@kanardia.eu

* Re: Asoc with TWL4030 on overo
@ 2010-03-18 14:40 ` Jarkko Nikula
From: Jarkko Nikula @ 2010-03-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rok Markovič; +Cc: linux-omap

Hi

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:23:55 +0100
Rok Markovič <rok@kanardia.eu> wrote:

> I am trying to play sound on overo board. With latest kernel I cannot get
> any sound, while with kernel 2.6.33-rc6-07400-ga05966f-dirty sound is
> played by ALSA correctly. I am using ALSA 1.0.22 with asound.conf like

Beagle plays fine on linux-omap head. One reason could be the patch
below as it requires that the user space must activate the headset
output path by proper mixer settings.

commit e47c796d58a21fc58b00dffb7265bb66de987773
Author: Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@nokia.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 17 09:49:54 2010 +0200

    ASoC: TWL4030: Use codec defaults for Headset initial configuration

    Disable the amplifiers for the headset outputs, and do not select
    routings by default to the headset outputs.

Does it work if you active the Headset path?

amixer set -D hw:0 'Headset' 0dB
amixer set -D hw:0 'HeadsetL Mixer AudioL2' on
amixer set -D hw:0 'HeadsetR Mixer AudioR2' on

--
Jarkko

* Re: Asoc with TWL4030 on overo
@ 2010-03-18 14:52   ` Rok Markovič
From: Rok Markovič @ 2010-03-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Nikula; +Cc: linux-omap

Yes muted sound was the culprit. :), why does not kernel enable sound by
default and why are there so many mixer controls.

Rok

@ 2010-03-18 15:42     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2010-03-18 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rok Markovi??; +Cc: Jarkko Nikula, linux-omap

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 03:52:00PM +0100, Rok Markovi?? wrote:

> Yes muted sound was the culprit. :), why does not kernel enable sound by
> default and why are there so many mixer controls.

It is difficult for the kernel to know what a sensible configuration is
for all hardware at all times - much embedded hardware has a wide range
of possible audio configurations, and often the choice depends not only
on the hardware but also which sounds are being played.