* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-05 21:27 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-05 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk, arminlitzel, Cyril Hrubis,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon,
	eric.y.miao, utx, zaurus-devel

Hi!

I'm getting way too many bit errors on spitz, with various
kernels.

It may be tied to network usage (bluetooth or wifi?). It happens even
on AC power.
									Pavel

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-05 21:27 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-05 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

I'm getting way too many bit errors on spitz, with various
kernels.

It may be tied to network usage (bluetooth or wifi?). It happens even
on AC power.
									Pavel

* Re: bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08  5:37   ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2010-03-08  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk, arminlitzel, Cyril Hrubis,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm getting way too many bit errors on spitz, with various
> kernels.
>
> It may be tied to network usage (bluetooth or wifi?). It happens even
> on AC power.

Pavel,

What kind of bit errors? I'm not using any network here on my spitz so
not sure what exactly was happening. Could you paste the dmesg here
so we can help take a look?

- eric

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08  5:37   ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2010-03-08  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-08  7:28     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-08  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk, arminlitzel, Cyril Hrubis,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm getting way too many bit errors on spitz, with various
> > kernels.
> >
> > It may be tied to network usage (bluetooth or wifi?). It happens even
> > on AC power.
>
> Pavel,
>
> What kind of bit errors? I'm not using any network here on my spitz so
> not sure what exactly was happening. Could you paste the dmesg here
> so we can help take a look?

dmesg would not be useful, it usually hits user programs. Like... mutt
suddenly displaying , instead of - in the header. Program failing to
start because function printg is not found (it was not exactly
printf->printg,  I don't remember exact symbol), ping complaining
about discarding corrupted packets, etc.

(Or of course, kernel oopsing or not going from suspend at all. But as
even user data are being corrupted, oops is not likely to be
interesting and system is typically not in state to capture it any more.)

									Pavel

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08  7:28     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-08  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-08  8:25       ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Eric Miao, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk, arminlitzel,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel

Hi!
> dmesg would not be useful, it usually hits user programs. Like... mutt
> suddenly displaying , instead of - in the header. Program failing to
> start because function printg is not found (it was not exactly
> printf->printg,  I don't remember exact symbol), ping complaining
> about discarding corrupted packets, etc.
>
> (Or of course, kernel oopsing or not going from suspend at all. But as
> even user data are being corrupted, oops is not likely to be
> interesting and system is typically not in state to capture it any more.)

Well I've seen empty lines when editing file with vim (these that are starting
with blue tilda) in the middle of file. And sometimes programs segfaults for no
good reason. Just today I've run "apt-get update" and got:

symbol lookup error: apt-get: undefined symbol: _ZN16pkgAcquireStatus4StopEv

While the correct symbol seems to be _ZN16pkgAcquireStatus4.

When running 'make' in kernel directory and closing the display sometimes
machine dies and nothing but reset under battery cover helps. I remeber waking
up in the morning, opening the device and reseting the device. And it seems to
be provoked much more by active CF wifi card.

--
metan

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08  8:25       ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2010-03-08 11:48         ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-08 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Pavel Machek, Eric Miao, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov,
	omegamoon, zaurus-devel

Cyril Hrubis wrote:

> Well I've seen empty lines when editing file with vim

And I have seen:

- Unreproducible SIGSEGV of gcc (while Wi-Fi connection over CF card was
  running).
- Unreproducible SIGSEGV of opkg (downloading via Wi-Fi connection over
  CF card).
- Unreproducible SIGSEGV of rm (called from find command launched via
  ssh, networking via Wi-Fi connection over CF card).
  (Hint: Tasks above are HDD-intensive.)
- Lost blocks while copying from CF to SD.
- Lost blocks while copying from HDD to SD.
- Lost blocks while copying from CF to USB flash stick.
- And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.

These problems appear in all kernels, at least since 2.6.26.

There is no note in the syslog.

Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-08 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-08 12:16           ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Pavel Machek, Eric Miao, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov,
	omegamoon, zaurus-devel

Hi!
> - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.

Forgotten about this one. See for yourself, notice short black vertical lines
flashing randomly.

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~metan/outgoing/zaurus_sickness.mpg

--
metan

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08 12:16           ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2010-03-08 12:42             ` Russell King - ARM Linux
From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2010-03-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Stanislav Brabec, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,
	kernel list, Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon, Pavel Machek,
	thommycheck, zaurus-devel, linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:16:35PM +0100, Cyril Hrubis wrote:
> Hi!
> > - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.
>
> Forgotten about this one. See for yourself, notice short black vertical lines
> flashing randomly.

I haven't looked at the video.

Is this display rotated by 90 degrees?

If so, they're actually horizontal lines as far as the display scanning
is concerned - and that tends to suggest that there's insufficient system
bus bandwidth for all the activity taking place, and the LCD controller
is being starved of data.

I've seen similar (described) effects on SA1110 systems in past years
with low clock rates.

Some of the reports suggest that this happens with multiple kernel versions
and is not something new to the latest kernels.  Please confirm when the
problem started.

From: Russell King - ARM Linux @ 2010-03-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-08 13:32               ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux
  Cc: Stanislav Brabec, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,
	kernel list, Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon, Pavel Machek,
	thommycheck, zaurus-devel, linux-arm-kernel

Hi!
> Is this display rotated by 90 degrees?

Yes it is.

> If so, they're actually horizontal lines as far as the display scanning
> is concerned - and that tends to suggest that there's insufficient system
> bus bandwidth for all the activity taking place, and the LCD controller
> is being starved of data.

Well, when doing 'echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all' for 2.6.33
I've got the same problem but the lines are vertical. However 2.6.24 seems to
work in non rotated mode.

> I've seen similar (described) effects on SA1110 systems in past years
> with low clock rates.
>
> Some of the reports suggest that this happens with multiple kernel versions
> and is not something new to the latest kernels.  Please confirm when the
> problem started.

As far as I can test in rotated mode it happens for kernels from 2.6.24 to
2.6.33 (I haven't older kernel than 2.6.24 that boots on spitz).

--
metan

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-08 13:32               ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-03-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2010-03-11 13:25         ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Pavel Machek, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel, kernel list,
	Dirk, utx, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon, thommycheck, zaurus-devel,
	linux-arm-kernel

On 03/08/10 08:25, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> Hi!
>> dmesg would not be useful, it usually hits user programs. Like... mutt
>> suddenly displaying , instead of - in the header. Program failing to
>> start because function printg is not found (it was not exactly
>> printf->printg,  I don't remember exact symbol), ping complaining
>> about discarding corrupted packets, etc.
>>
>> (Or of course, kernel oopsing or not going from suspend at all. But as
>> even user data are being corrupted, oops is not likely to be
>> interesting and system is typically not in state to capture it any more.)
>>

> Well I've seen empty lines when editing file with vim (these that are starting
> with blue tilda) in the middle of file. And sometimes programs segfaults for no
> good reason. Just today I've run "apt-get update" and got:
>
> symbol lookup error: apt-get: undefined symbol: _ZN16pkgAcquireStatus4StopEv
>
> While the correct symbol seems to be _ZN16pkgAcquireStatus4.
>
> When running 'make' in kernel directory and closing the display sometimes
> machine dies and nothing but reset under battery cover helps. I remeber waking
> up in the morning, opening the device and reseting the device. And it seems to
> be provoked much more by active CF wifi card.

I saw very similar failures for a long time on our iMX31 based device.
Eventually I found a Freescale errata where the RAM inside the USB2
macrocell started to make single bit errors below 1.38V Vcore; ours was
1.4V at that time but dipped on CPU load.

I cranked up the Vcore to 1.6V and that solved it, we also added some
ceramic caps to Vcore to help with the dips.

So it might be worth looking at PMU arrangements for Vcore level / look
for dips with a 'scope (despite this isn't an iMX31).

A characteristic of it was it never caused kernel issues, since the
kernel didn't come over USB.  It only ever caused troubles on userspace
stuff.

-Andy

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-11 13:25         ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-11 15:42           ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Green
  Cc: Cyril Hrubis, Pavel Machek, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,
	kernel list, Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon, thommycheck,

Andy Green wrote:

> I saw very similar failures for a long time on our iMX31 based device.
> Eventually I found a Freescale errata where the RAM inside the USB2
> macrocell started to make single bit errors below 1.38V Vcore; ours was
> 1.4V at that time but dipped on CPU load.

Good tip. It seems that nobody ported driver for the voltage control
chip ISL6271 from 2.4 kernel, and bootloader probably does not set
correct values.

Datasheet:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/Xscale/ISL6271.pdf

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-11 21:21             ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel, kernel list,
	Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, linux-arm-kernel, Pavel Machek, thommycheck,
	zaurus-devel, omegamoon

On 03/11/10 15:42, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
>> I saw very similar failures for a long time on our iMX31 based device.
>> Eventually I found a Freescale errata where the RAM inside the USB2
>> macrocell started to make single bit errors below 1.38V Vcore; ours was
>> 1.4V at that time but dipped on CPU load.
>
> Good tip. It seems that nobody ported driver for the voltage control
> chip ISL6271 from 2.4 kernel, and bootloader probably does not set
> correct values.
>
> Datasheet:
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/Xscale/ISL6271.pdf

Unless there's more to it in the way the zaurus using it that regulator
isn't programmable digitally.

Reading about your CF Card WLAN related issues they suck down a good
amount of power when their radio is up, I would definitely suggest
monitoring with a 'scope the various rails (Vcore, RAM and whatever it
is the CF Card is powered by) while putting it under load.

-Andy

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-11 21:21             ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-12  9:07               ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Green
  Cc: Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel, kernel list,

Andy Green wrote:
> On 03/11/10 15:42, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> > Andy Green wrote:
> >
> >> I saw very similar failures for a long time on our iMX31 based device.
> >> Eventually I found a Freescale errata where the RAM inside the USB2
> >> macrocell started to make single bit errors below 1.38V Vcore; ours was
> >> 1.4V at that time but dipped on CPU load.
> >
> > Good tip. It seems that nobody ported driver for the voltage control
> > chip ISL6271 from 2.4 kernel, and bootloader probably does not set
> > correct values.

> Unless there's more to it in the way the zaurus using it that regulator
> isn't programmable digitally.

OOPS, I made a mistake and linked ISL6721 instead of ISL6271 there.
Now it is fixed:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/XScale/ISL6271A.pdf

This one has I2C. It is connected to GPIO 3 (PWR_SCL) and GPIO 4
(PWR_SDA).

It is visible between the black plastic and the large circular coil:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/teardown#pcbt

> Reading about your CF Card WLAN related issues they suck down a good
> amount of power when their radio is up, I would definitely suggest
> monitoring with a 'scope the various rails (Vcore, RAM and whatever it
> is the CF Card is powered by) while putting it under load.

I guess that Zaurus has a good power design and that voltage should be
constant enough. CF has a dedicated step down (plus 2.8V power detector
(Why so low, if CF standard requres more?)), HDD has a dedicated step
up/down. USB has dedicated step up. Companion chips use dedicated 3.3V
step down. Audio uses dedicated linear regulator. CPU has several
dedicated step downs, CPU 3.3V uses step-up to 5V and then down to 3.3V
(which is shared only with IOPORT).

Nearest common point between CF card power and CPU power is the battery.

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-12  9:33                 ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-12  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel, kernel list,

On 03/12/10 09:07, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>> Unless there's more to it in the way the zaurus using it that regulator
>> isn't programmable digitally.
>
> OOPS, I made a mistake and linked ISL6721 instead of ISL6271 there.
> Now it is fixed:
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/XScale/ISL6271A.pdf
>
> This one has I2C. It is connected to GPIO 3 (PWR_SCL) and GPIO 4
> (PWR_SDA).

Thanks... that defaults to 1.3V on Vcore if you don't touch it.  I guess
confirm on the CPU datasheet that it's OK for your selected CPU clock speed.

> I guess that Zaurus has a good power design and that voltage should be
> constant enough. CF has a dedicated step down (plus 2.8V power detector

In that case is the PXA CF driver PIO?  Then it can be the same load on
Vcore issue in disguise.

-Andy

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-12  9:33                 ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-12  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-12 10:43                   ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-12 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Green
  Cc: Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel, kernel list,

Andy Green wrote:

> In that case is the PXA CF driver PIO?  Then it can be the same load on
> Vcore issue in disguise.

There is a proprietary ASIC chip (Sharp Scoop) that handles CF and HDD
access (and also several additional GPIOs):
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/ASIC_S1L50752B26B200/412752.PDF

The ASIC runs in dual power mode. HVDD is powered from the 3.3V
dedicated to CF resp. HDD power supply (both may be turned off by the
kernel), LVDD is shared with CPU 3.3V (it is always on).

It seems that there are no other chips connected to the VCC_PLL,
VCC_SRAM and VCC_CORE.

VCC_DRAM is the same 3.3V ans CPU ans ASIC LVDD and also the same as
flash power and flash driver CPLD:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/memory/

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-12 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-12 11:13                     ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel, kernel list,

On 03/12/10 10:43, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
>> In that case is the PXA CF driver PIO?  Then it can be the same load on
>> Vcore issue in disguise.
>
> There is a proprietary ASIC chip (Sharp Scoop) that handles CF and HDD
> access (and also several additional GPIOs):
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/ASIC_S1L50752B26B200/412752.PDF

Right but not thinking about its power arrangements, rather the load on
the CPU itself when it's transferring data to / from CF interface (via
this ASIC).

If the ASIC has bus master DMA and that's used by the driver then fair
enough, otherwise if it is done by PIO in the driver "while using CF"
(as mentioned in most symptoms) becomes the same as saying "during 100%
load on CPU" which is what leads to dents in Vcore and potential
instability by that same Vcore path.

-Andy

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-12 11:13                     ` Andy Green
From: Andy Green @ 2010-03-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-21 20:40           ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-21 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Cyril Hrubis, Eric Miao, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, Dirk,

On Mon 2010-03-08 12:48:36, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Cyril Hrubis wrote:
>
> > Well I've seen empty lines when editing file with vim
>
> And I have seen:
>
> - Unreproducible SIGSEGV of gcc (while Wi-Fi connection over CF card was
>   running).
> - Unreproducible SIGSEGV of opkg (downloading via Wi-Fi connection over
>   CF card).
> - Unreproducible SIGSEGV of rm (called from find command launched via
>   ssh, networking via Wi-Fi connection over CF card).
>   (Hint: Tasks above are HDD-intensive.)
> - Lost blocks while copying from CF to SD.
> - Lost blocks while copying from HDD to SD.
> - Lost blocks while copying from CF to USB flash stick.
> - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.
>
> These problems appear in all kernels, at least since 2.6.26.
>
> There is no note in the syslog.

Interesting, I get memory corruption leading to strange
behaviour. Sometimes echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches helps...
									Pavel

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-21 20:40           ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-21 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-21 20:43                 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Andy Green, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel,
	kernel list, Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, linux-arm-kernel, thommycheck,
	zaurus-devel, omegamoon

On Fri 2010-03-12 10:07:04, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:

> > > Good tip. It seems that nobody ported driver for the voltage control
> > > chip ISL6271 from 2.4 kernel, and bootloader probably does not set
> > > correct values.

Are we sure about this one? If we have wrong voltages on various
parts, that kind-off explains it.

Would it be possible to measure (Voltmeter) difference between 2.4
kernel and 2.6 kernel?

								Pavel

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-21 20:43                 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-21 21:42                   ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-21 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Andy Green, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel,

Pavel Machek píše v Ne 21. 03. 2010 v 21:43 +0100:

> Are we sure about this one? If we have wrong voltages on various
> parts, that kind-off explains it.
>
> Would it be possible to measure (Voltmeter) difference between 2.4
> kernel and 2.6 kernel?

If you are ready to run Zaurus in dismantled state, then yes. Measure on
the upper pin of the large coil in the center of the
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/pcbt_uc.jpg image or on the testpoint
nearby (probably to the right).

Alternatively, it is possible to write a driver. It is just one byte
write and one byte read via I2C.

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-21 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Pavel Machek p??e v Ne 21. 03. 2010 v 21:43 +0100:

@ 2010-03-29 18:27                     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-29 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Andy Green, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel,

On Sun 2010-03-21 22:42:33, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Pavel Machek píše v Ne 21. 03. 2010 v 21:43 +0100:

> > Are we sure about this one? If we have wrong voltages on various
> > parts, that kind-off explains it.
> >
> > Would it be possible to measure (Voltmeter) difference between 2.4
> > kernel and 2.6 kernel?
>
> If you are ready to run Zaurus in dismantled state, then yes. Measure on
> the upper pin of the large coil in the center of the
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/pcbt_uc.jpg image or on the testpoint
> nearby (probably to the right).

I'm not comfortable dismantling it :-(.

> Alternatively, it is possible to write a driver. It is just one byte
> write and one byte read via I2C.

Do you know what byte it is? That sounds easy enough...

But I have small problem now -- zaurus seems to work mostly fine
now. Does it depend on temperature, or what? Tried mtest,
nothing. Tried compiling kernel, ok... Will try few more times...

								Pavel

* bit errors on spitz
@ 2010-03-29 18:27                     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2010-03-29 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2010-03-29 18:52                       ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Andy Green, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov, Cyril Hrubis, arminlitzel,

Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Alternatively, it is possible to write a driver. It is just one byte
> > write and one byte read via I2C.
>
> Do you know what byte it is? That sounds easy enough...

Yes, it should be easy driver. One byte address and then one byte write
or one byte read.

See the datasheet:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/XScale/ISL6271A.pdf

Page 11: address
Pages 8 and 9: Data interpretation

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-03-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Alternatively, it is possible to write a driver. It is just one byte
> > write and one byte read via I2C.
>
> Do you know what byte it is? That sounds easy enough...

Yes, it should be easy driver. One byte address and then one byte write
or one byte read.

See the datasheet:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/datasheets/power/XScale/ISL6271A.pdf

Page 11: address
Pages 8 and 9: Data interpretation

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus

* [URGENT] Re: bit errors on spitz + voipac
@ 2010-06-03  0:01             ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2010-06-03  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Cyril Hrubis, Stanislav Brabec, Eric Miao, dbaryshkov,
	arminlitzel, kernel list, Dirk, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon,
	Pavel Machek, thommycheck, zaurus-devel, Haojian Zhuang

Dne Po 8. března 2010 13:16:35 Cyril Hrubis napsal(a):
> Hi!
>
> > - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.
>
> Forgotten about this one. See for yourself, notice short black vertical
> lines flashing randomly.
>
> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~metan/outgoing/zaurus_sickness.mpg

This is not only case of spitz. I've seen LCD image falling apart on pxafb on
Voipac PXA270 board. The image was like "torn in half and part of it was moved
to right, the hole between staying white".

This happened exactly when I started doing a DMA transfer from a harddrive
attached through pata_pxa. It's perfectly replicable. If I disabled DMA and let
it run only in PIO, the image was fine.

I assume the corruption Pavel was seeing is related. My guess is the problems
are caused when DMA between the CPU and a companion chip happens. I dunno if the
DMA controller doesn't have enough power to supply LCD and the companion chip
with data, but that's one of my guesses.

btw. Adjusting the DMA descriptor length in pata_pxa didn't help.

Guys, we need to investigate this as it seems to cause problems on many places.

Cheers!

From: Marek Vasut @ 2010-06-03  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Dne Po 8. b?ezna 2010 13:16:35 Cyril Hrubis napsal(a):
> Hi!
>
> > - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.
>
> Forgotten about this one. See for yourself, notice short black vertical
> lines flashing randomly.
>
> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~metan/outgoing/zaurus_sickness.mpg

This is not only case of spitz. I've seen LCD image falling apart on pxafb on
Voipac PXA270 board. The image was like "torn in half and part of it was moved
to right, the hole between staying white".

This happened exactly when I started doing a DMA transfer from a harddrive
attached through pata_pxa. It's perfectly replicable. If I disabled DMA and let
it run only in PIO, the image was fine.

I assume the corruption Pavel was seeing is related. My guess is the problems
are caused when DMA between the CPU and a companion chip happens. I dunno if the
DMA controller doesn't have enough power to supply LCD and the companion chip
with data, but that's one of my guesses.

btw. Adjusting the DMA descriptor length in pata_pxa didn't help.

Guys, we need to investigate this as it seems to cause problems on many places.

Cheers!

* Re: [URGENT] Re: bit errors on spitz + voipac
@ 2010-06-03  2:30               ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2010-06-03  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Vasut
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, Cyril Hrubis, Stanislav Brabec, dbaryshkov,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dne Po 8. března 2010 13:16:35 Cyril Hrubis napsal(a):
>> Hi!
>>
>> > - And I see display noise while CF Wi-Fi card is active.
>>
>> Forgotten about this one. See for yourself, notice short black vertical
>> lines flashing randomly.
>>
>> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~metan/outgoing/zaurus_sickness.mpg
>
> This is not only case of spitz. I've seen LCD image falling apart on pxafb on
> Voipac PXA270 board. The image was like "torn in half and part of it was moved
> to right, the hole between staying white".
>
> This happened exactly when I started doing a DMA transfer from a harddrive
> attached through pata_pxa. It's perfectly replicable. If I disabled DMA and let
> it run only in PIO, the image was fine.
>
> I assume the corruption Pavel was seeing is related. My guess is the problems
> are caused when DMA between the CPU and a companion chip happens. I dunno if the
> DMA controller doesn't have enough power to supply LCD and the companion chip
> with data, but that's one of my guesses.
>
> btw. Adjusting the DMA descriptor length in pata_pxa didn't help.

If there is a FIFO attached, may need the FIFO status when the error happens.
And a dump of the DMA registers would also be helpful.

From: Eric Miao @ 2010-06-03  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel