* [XCP] XCP project suggestions on the wiki
@ 2010-03-10 17:45 Dave Scott
       [not found] ` <81A73678E76EA642801C8F2E4823AD21565E554199-aFusIB7tbcLeU4JHVX8hdHnr0TU713UqXqFh9Ls21Oc@public.gmane.org>
From: Dave Scott @ 2010-03-10 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen API, xen-devel

Hi,

I've collected together a bunch of XCP-related project suggestions and stuck them on the xen wiki:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_project_suggestions

The main idea is that new people who want to work on XCP can use this list for inspiration... each idea has a rough guesstimate of size/ knowledge required/ impact and an initial first contact (who either suggested the idea originally or who is willing to help someone work on it)

I think a good next step would be to expand the list
* to include projects related to the items on the XCP roadmap; and
* to describe prototypes which are actively being worked on.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,
Dave

* Re: [Xen-devel] [XCP] XCP project suggestions on the wiki
       [not found] ` <81A73678E76EA642801C8F2E4823AD21565E554199-aFusIB7tbcLeU4JHVX8hdHnr0TU713UqXqFh9Ls21Oc@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-03-10 18:16   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-03-10 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Scott; +Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR, Xen API

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 05:45:27PM +0000, Dave Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've collected together a bunch of XCP-related project suggestions and stuck them on the xen wiki:
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_project_suggestions
>
> The main idea is that new people who want to work on XCP can use this list for inspiration... each idea has a rough guesstimate of size/ knowledge required/ impact and an initial first contact (who either suggested the idea originally or who is willing to help someone work on it)
>
> I think a good next step would be to expand the list
> * to include projects related to the items on the XCP roadmap; and
> * to describe prototypes which are actively being worked on.
>
> As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Great, this is a good idea!

I've been planning on adding support for better iSCSI multipathing to XCP,
but haven't had time yet..

I guess I could write that down to the list and describe it in more detail,
as a first step :)

-- Pasi

* Re: [XCP] XCP project suggestions on the wiki
@ 2010-03-24 19:08     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
       [not found]       ` <20100324190819.GP1878-GxtO3QLqHcLR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-03-24 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Scott; +Cc: xen-devel, Xen API

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 08:16:32PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 05:45:27PM +0000, Dave Scott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've collected together a bunch of XCP-related project suggestions and stuck them on the xen wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_project_suggestions
> >
> > The main idea is that new people who want to work on XCP can use this list for inspiration... each idea has a rough guesstimate of size/ knowledge required/ impact and an initial first contact (who either suggested the idea originally or who is willing to help someone work on it)
> >
> > I think a good next step would be to expand the list
> > * to include projects related to the items on the XCP roadmap; and
> > * to describe prototypes which are actively being worked on.
> >
> > As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!
> >

> Great, this is a good idea!
>
> I've been planning on adding support for better iSCSI multipathing to XCP,
> but haven't had time yet..
>
> I guess I could write that down to the list and describe it in more detail,
> as a first step :)

Two more ideas:

- Storage Live Migration, allow moving the guest from storage A to storage B on-the-fly without reboot (VMware Storage Vmotion)
- Live Migration without shared storage (I think Qemu already has support for this)

What do you think of these?

-- Pasi

@ 2010-03-24 20:11         ` Dave Scott
       [not found]           ` <81A73678E76EA642801C8F2E4823AD21565E55423F-aFusIB7tbcLeU4JHVX8hdHnr0TU713UqXqFh9Ls21Oc@public.gmane.org>
From: Dave Scott @ 2010-03-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen'
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR, Daniel Stodden, Xen API

Hi,

> - Storage Live Migration, allow moving the guest from storage A to
> storage B on-the-fly without reboot (VMware Storage Vmotion)

Sounds good! There might be prototype code lying around somewhere. Daniel, do you guys have something relevant?

> - Live Migration without shared storage (I think Qemu already has
> support for this)

Does qemu remote the block I/O itself? This would also be quite interesting.

@ 2010-03-24 22:41             ` Vincent Hanquez
       [not found]               ` <4BAA9523.90706-mvvWK6WmYclDPfheJLI6IQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Vincent Hanquez @ 2010-03-24 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Scott
  Cc: Xen API, xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	'Pasi Kärkkäinen',
	Stodden

On 24/03/10 20:11, Dave Scott wrote:
>> - Live Migration without shared storage (I think Qemu already has
>> support for this)
>
> Does qemu remote the block I/O itself? This would also be quite interesting.

it copies the storage to the destination along with the memory.

--
Vincent

@ 2010-03-25  9:31                 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-03-25  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Hanquez
  Cc: Xen API, xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR, Dave Scott,
	Daniel Stodden

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:41:39PM +0000, Vincent Hanquez wrote:
> On 24/03/10 20:11, Dave Scott wrote:
>>> - Live Migration without shared storage (I think Qemu already has
>>> support for this)
>>
>> Does qemu remote the block I/O itself? This would also be quite interesting.
>
> it copies the storage to the destination along with the memory.

For Xen/XCP this would have to be done with other methods than Qemu obviously.

Both the Live Migration without shared storage, and the storage live migration
should work for both PV and HVM guests.

@ 2010-03-29 16:58     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-03-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Scott; +Cc: xen-devel, Xen API

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 08:16:32PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 05:45:27PM +0000, Dave Scott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've collected together a bunch of XCP-related project suggestions and stuck them on the xen wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_project_suggestions
> >
> > The main idea is that new people who want to work on XCP can use this list for inspiration... each idea has a rough guesstimate of size/ knowledge required/ impact and an initial first contact (who either suggested the idea originally or who is willing to help someone work on it)
> >
> > I think a good next step would be to expand the list
> > * to include projects related to the items on the XCP roadmap; and
> > * to describe prototypes which are actively being worked on.
> >
> > As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!
> >

> Great, this is a good idea!
>
> I've been planning on adding support for better iSCSI multipathing to XCP,
> but haven't had time yet..
>
> I guess I could write that down to the list and describe it in more detail,
> as a first step :)

I added "Better iSCSI multipathing" to the wiki page.

-- Pasi