* Some questions about GSoC
@ 2010-03-27 20:05 Igor Murzov
From: Igor Murzov @ 2010-03-27 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi, list!

I would like to take part in git development within GSoC. I like tasks
proposed on the SoC2010Ideas page. I would like to work on "Unify Pathspec
Semantics" or "Git Submodules Enhancements" or "Complete libgit2" (I know
nothing about Python or Ruby, so hardly it's possible for me to make bindings
for one of this languages. I can use swig for this though). Is there any
prefered task among those three tasks? Is chosen task make any impact on my
possibility to be taken for the gsoc?

Igor

* Re: Some questions about GSoC
@ 2010-03-29 21:58 ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2010-03-29 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Murzov; +Cc: git

Hi,

Igor Murzov wrote:

> I would like to work on "Unify Pathspec
> Semantics" or "Git Submodules Enhancements" or "Complete libgit2"

Some people are very excited about all three of these happening --- not
necessarily this summer but ASAP. ;-)

> Is chosen task make any impact on my
> possibility to be taken for the gsoc?

Yes.  If you do not seem like you would do a good job at your chosen
task, that would really hurt your chances.

To help your chances, it is best to show some initiative.  For example:

 - Maybe write a patch or two now.  This would demonstrate that you’ve
   cloned the git.git repository and understand how our development
   process works, and it would give us some sense of your working style.

   That may seem daunting if you are not up to speed with git sources
   yet.  Not to worry: in that case, you would be in an ideal situation
   to collaborate on writing documentation.

 - Choose a task that scratches an itch you have, so you can write a
   good proposal.  Write a proposal and get some feedback.  A good
   proposal will probably require a few revisions.

Good luck.

Jonathan