From: Jeff King <peff@peff.net>
To: Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>
Cc: Daniel Thomas <drt24@srcf.ucam.org>,
Subject: Re: [GSoC Proposal/RFC] Rolling commit message writing
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:27:25 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 04:31:00PM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> Secondly, I'm concerned that if you can't remember the description of
> your entire commit by the time you commit it, then your commit is too
> big.  The usual solution is to create multiple, smaller commits that
> are easy to describe.  If at the end you find yourself with too many
> commits, you can always join them together with git rebase.

That was my first thought, too. I like your suggestion elsewhere in the
thread of making many small commits, and then squashing them later if
you like.

Still, I can see how people might prefer to use this as part of their
workflow, so I am not against the feature itself.

However, I am really concerned with it as a GSoC project. It just
doesn't seem like a big enough feature to take the whole summer. In the
schedule, there is a week of implementing "git add -p
--add-with-message". It seems like that should be hours, not days.

I wonder if it could be rolled into a more comprehensive proposal
concerning commit workflows (though I admit, I don't personally have any
other ideas in the area).

-Peff

PS Daniel (and other potential GSoC'ers who are reading), please don't
take this as discouragement of presenting proposals that aren't on the
ideas wiki. I really really like the concept of somebody working on
their own itch, as I think they tend to have a clearer idea of what the
solution should look like. I'm just concerned this particular proposal
isn't big enough.