* Restoring BTRFS partition
@ 2010-04-20 14:56 Alli Quaknaa
From: Alli Quaknaa @ 2010-04-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,
Yesterday I have messed up my partition table and lost the information
of my BTRFS partition. Luckily I was able to find it's beginning, or
at least I think so. This is what I did:
- created a blank 300M file, formated with btrfs, examined with
hexedit. After 65536 zeros (at the position 0x10000) a sequence "1F 55
A8 7C" comes and at a position 0x10040 an ASCII sequence _BHRfS_M_ is
found.
- I found the same sequence ("_BHRfS_M_") in the raw image of my drive
and I've made another image to make my original look more like the
300M file - so in the beginning 65k of zeros and the sequence
_BHRfS_M_ is at the same position (basically I just deleted whatever
was before this sequence and prepended those zeros).

I don't think I have done anything that could have damaged the
filesystem itself and when viewing with hexedit I still see ELF data,
include files and so on, but I can't get the new image to mount or
btrfsck, it is simply not recognized as a btrfs image. Could anyone
please help me fix this? I have very little actual C/Linux knowledge
(from the programmers point of view) so I'd rather not go reading the
code.

Of course I can send whatever more information you need, just as a
starter - I have no idea what the sequence at 0x10000 is, but it is
different than the one of my blank 300M file - in my partition it says
"CB EE AE 02".

Thanks in advance,
al-Quaknaa