* While the awesome switch is always on, so is the confusion switch.
@ 2010-05-04 15:17 xuinkrbin
From: xuinkrbin @ 2010-05-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi, All!

So, here's the situation.  I start with no modifications to HEAD and no
stashes.  I verify the lack of stashes with a 'git stash list'.  I make some
changes so I now have modifications to HEAD and, still, no stashes.  I
verify the lack of stashes with a 'git stash list'.  I run 'git stash' so I
now have no modifications to but a stash.  I verify the presence of a stash
with a 'git stash list'.  I run 'git stash pop' so I now have modifications
to head but no stashes.  I run 'git stash list' to verify the lack of
stashes and receive the following message:
	fatal: bad object refs/stash
If I delete .git/refs/stash and repeat the process, I find the same results.
The contents of .git/refs/stash are also embedded within
.git/logs/refs/stash, if that fact means anything.  Can Anyone point Me in
the direction of documentation on this particular problem to help clear up
why this is happening and which might help Me to determine what I should do
about it?

Thanks!

mi'e xuinkrbin.

* Re: While the awesome switch is always on, so is the confusion  switch.
@ 2010-05-04 16:24 ` Jonathan del Strother
From: Jonathan del Strother @ 2010-05-04 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xuinkrbin; +Cc: git

On 4 May 2010 17:18, xuinkrbin <nabble.20.xuinkrbin@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> Hi, All!
>
> So, here's the situation.  I start with no modifications to HEAD and no
> stashes.  I verify the lack of stashes with a 'git stash list'.  I make some
> changes so I now have modifications to HEAD and, still, no stashes.  I
> verify the lack of stashes with a 'git stash list'.  I run 'git stash' so I
> now have no modifications to but a stash.  I verify the presence of a stash
> with a 'git stash list'.  I run 'git stash pop' so I now have modifications
> to head but no stashes.  I run 'git stash list' to verify the lack of
> stashes and receive the following message:
>        fatal: bad object refs/stash
> If I delete .git/refs/stash and repeat the process, I find the same results.
> The contents of .git/refs/stash are also embedded within
> .git/logs/refs/stash, if that fact means anything.  Can Anyone point Me in
> the direction of documentation on this particular problem to help clear up
> why this is happening and which might help Me to determine what I should do
> about it?

I can't reproduce this - what does 'git --version' say?

* Re: While the awesome switch is always on, so is the confusion switch.
@ 2010-05-04 21:08   ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2010-05-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan del Strother; +Cc: xuinkrbin, git

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:24:34PM +0100, Jonathan del Strother wrote:

> > to head but no stashes.  I run 'git stash list' to verify the lack of
> > stashes and receive the following message:
> >        fatal: bad object refs/stash
> I can't reproduce this - what does 'git --version' say?

Just a guess, but probably pre-v1.6.1:

  $ git show 0e32126
  commit 0e32126f04f6ad64826d4c145f2a1a9685e0910d
  Author: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
  Date:   Sun Dec 7 17:30:35 2008 -0800

      Revert "git-stash: use git rev-parse -q"

      This reverts commit 757c7f60a78004fc3d0ea62f44320d54ef430c10 as an
      unnecessary error message to pop up when the last stash entry is
      dropped.

      It simply is not worth the aggravation.

  $ git describe --contains 0e32126
  v1.6.1-rc2~1