* [ath9k-devel] ath9k-deve: add / delete virtual wiphys through iw (nl80211)
@ 2010-05-05  9:28 "Lorna González"
From: "Lorna González" @ 2010-05-05  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,

according to the nl80211_commands it is possible to add, get, set and delete wiphy using iw command like using debugfs ath9k/phy#/wiphy am I right? But I can?t use and don?t have this options in my supported commands (iw phy <name> info).
Does any one knows what could be the reason?

Thanks in advanced

Regards

Lorna Glez.

--
GRATIS f?r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k-deve: add / delete virtual wiphys through iw (nl80211)
@ 2010-05-05 14:21 ` Jouni Malinen
From: Jouni Malinen @ 2010-05-05 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 02:28 -0700, "Lorna Gonz?lez" wrote:
> according to the nl80211_commands it is possible to add, get, set and delete wiphy using iw command like using debugfs ath9k/phy#/wiphy am I right? But I can?t use and don?t have this options in my supported commands (iw phy <name> info).
> Does any one knows what could be the reason?

There is currently no support for managing virtual wiphys in nl80211 (or
iw for that matter). The current design in ath9k is experimental and at
this point, it does not look likely that it would be standardized via
nl80211 in this way. In other words, it is more likely that the vif
concept in mac80211 would get extended to support multi-channel
operations which would eventually remove need for the virtual wiphy
concept.

- Jouni

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k-deve: add / delete virtual wiphys through iw (nl80211)
@ 2010-05-05 14:27   ` Rodolphe Marques
From: Rodolphe Marques @ 2010-05-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Jouni,

That means that from the OS perspective we would see only one interface
and that the mac80211 would that care of multiple associations in order
to improve overall throughput?

Best Regards,
     Rodolphe Marques

@ 2010-05-05 14:39     ` Jouni Malinen
From: Jouni Malinen @ 2010-05-05 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 07:27 -0700, Rodolphe Marques wrote:
> That means that from the OS perspective we would see only one interface
> and that the mac80211 would that care of multiple associations in order
> to improve overall throughput?

No, this would not change how the actual network devices would be
visible. The difference would be internal to how the drivers (e.g.,
ath9k) register themselves with mac80211, i.e., whether there is one
more or wiphys from mac80211 viewpoint. Both designs would still use
mac80211 vifs similarly.

- Jouni

* [ath9k-devel]  ath9k-deve: about the scheduler in virtual radios
@ 2010-05-21 11:45   ` "Lorna González"
From: "Lorna González" @ 2010-05-21 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Dear Mr. Malinen,

I am very interested in doing some tests regarding the scheduler and I would really appreciate your help -since I?ve been looking by myself without great success-.
If the following patch was made in order to implemet the wiphys scheduler:

http://mirror.muntinternet.net/pub/linux-kernel/people/linville/wireless-testing/cherries/merged-upstream/0636-ath9k-Add-a-simple-virtual-wiphy-scheduler.patch

which timer verifies that for a certain wiphy its wiphy_scheduler_int is over and therefore it must switch to the next wiphy, I mean which part of the code decide to trigger the change to another channel.

Thanks in advanced for your response

Regards

Lorna Glez.
--
GRATIS f?r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!