* failed to build xen from source code
@ 2010-05-28  3:47 wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-28  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

Hi

I tried to install Xen 4.0.1 from  http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg <http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg>

I use the installation step in Xen wiki as shown below

yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum install transfig texi2html libaio-devel dev86 glibc-devel e2fsprogs-devel gitk mkinitrd iasl xz-devel bzip2-devel

hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg
cd xen-4.0-testing.hg
make xen
make tools
make stubdom
I failed in  "make tools" and it shows
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpci
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [qemu-dm] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/xen-4.0-testing.hg/tools/ioemu-remote/i386-dm'
make[3]: *** [subdir-i386-dm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/xen-4.0-testing.hg/tools/ioemu-remote'
make[2]: *** [subdir-install-ioemu-dir] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/xen-4.0-testing.hg/tools'
make[1]: *** [subdirs-install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/xen-4.0-testing.hg/tools'
make: *** [install-tools] Error 2

If I only install gcc,gcc-c++,dev86,iasl,it can be build success.
Any idea of this problem?

TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.

* Re: failed to build xen from source code
@ 2010-05-28  4:19 ` Jeremy Fitzhardinge
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge @ 2010-05-28  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

On 05/27/2010 08:47 PM, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
> Hi
> I tried to install Xen 4.0.1 from
> http://*xen*bits.*xen*.org/*xen*-*4.0*-testing.hg
> <http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg>
> I use the installation step in Xen wiki as shown below
> yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
> yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
> yum install transfig texi2html libaio-devel dev86 glibc-devel e2fsprogs-devel gitk mkinitrd iasl xz-devel bzip2-devel
> hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg
> cd xen-4.0-testing.hg
> make xen
> make tools
> make stubdom
> I failed in  "make tools" and it shows
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpci

I think you also need pciutils-libs and pciutils-devel.

* Re: failed to build xen from source code
@ 2010-05-28  6:14   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-05-28  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge; +Cc: Xen-devel, wenche_chang

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:19:22PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 08:47 PM, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
> > Hi
> > I tried to install Xen 4.0.1 from
> > http://*xen*bits.*xen*.org/*xen*-*4.0*-testing.hg
> > <http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg>
> > I use the installation step in Xen wiki as shown below
> > yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"
> > yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
> > yum install transfig texi2html libaio-devel dev86 glibc-devel e2fsprogs-devel gitk mkinitrd iasl xz-devel bzip2-devel
> > hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg
> > cd xen-4.0-testing.hg
> > make xen
> > make tools
> > make stubdom
> > I failed in  "make tools" and it shows
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpci
> >

> I think you also need pciutils-libs and pciutils-devel.

Xen4.0 wiki page updated with these rpms.

-- Pasi

* RE: failed to build xen from source code
@ 2010-05-28  7:33   ` wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-28  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeremy, Xen-devel

Hi

after install these two RPMs , I can build and install the xen 4.0.1

But there are some troubles about xend , the error message is shown as below

[root@localhost ~]# xm list
 Unable to connect to xend: No such file or directory. Is xend running?

[root@localhost ~]# xend
ERROR Internal error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (2 = No such file or directory)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 36, in <module>
    from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line 26, in <module>
    import relocate
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/relocate.py", line 28, in <module>
    from xen.xend import XendDomain
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomain.py", line 36, in <module>
    from xen.xend import XendOptions, XendCheckpoint, XendDomainInfo
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py", line 20, in <module>
    from xen.xend import balloon, sxp, image
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/image.py", line 46, in <module>
    xc = xen.lowlevel.xc.xc()
xen.lowlevel.xc.Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (2 = No such file or directory)')

Any idea?

________________________________

@ 2010-05-28  8:51     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-05-28  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: jeremy, Xen-devel

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:33:54PM +0800, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
>    Hi
>
>    after install these two RPMs , I can build and install the xen 4.0.1
>
>    But there are some troubles about xend , the error message is shown as
>    below
>
>    [root@localhost ~]# xm list
>     Unable to connect to xend: No such file or directory. Is xend running?
>
>    [root@localhost ~]# xend
>    ERROR Internal error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command
>    interface (2 = No such file or directory)
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 36, in <module>
>        from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py",
>    line 26, in <module>
>        import relocate
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/server/relocate.py",
>    line 28, in <module>
>        from xen.xend import XendDomain
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendDomain.py", line
>    36, in <module>
>        from xen.xend import XendOptions, XendCheckpoint, XendDomainInfo
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
>    line 20, in <module>
>        from xen.xend import balloon, sxp, image
>      File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/image.py", line 46, in
>    <module>
>        xc = xen.lowlevel.xc.xc()
>    xen.lowlevel.xc.Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'Could not obtain handle on
>    privileged command interface (2 = No such file or directory)')
>

>    Any idea?

Try reading the troubleshooting tips at:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

-- Pasi

@ 2010-05-28  9:35       ` wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-28  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasik, Xen-devel

Hi
I have read  "Xend does not start when using pv_ops dom0 kernel? "in this link and I don’t think it's my problem

I download SRPM of XEN 4.0.0 from http://pasik.reaktio.net/fedora/xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.src.rpm or http://fedorapeople.org/~myoung/dom0/src/xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.src.rpm

After installation it in Fedora 12 , xend works well, but it can't start if I install Xen from http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg

@ 2010-05-28  9:47         ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-05-28  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 05:35:09PM +0800, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
> Hi
> I have read  "Xend does not start when using pv_ops dom0 kernel? "in this link and I don???t think it's my problem
>
> I download SRPM of XEN 4.0.0 from http://pasik.reaktio.net/fedora/xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.src.rpm or http://fedorapeople.org/~myoung/dom0/src/xen-4.0.0-0.7.fc12.src.rpm
>
> After installation it in Fedora 12 , xend works well, but it can't start if I install Xen from http://xenbits.xen.org/xen-4.0-testing.hg

I think the init scripts in Fedora rpm do more than the default scripts in upstream Xen.

So:
	- Do you have /proc/xen (xenfs) mounted? Do you have files in it?
	- Do you have xen-evtchn driver loaded? Run lsmod if it's compiled as a module in your dom0 kernel.

Both of those need to be OK before xend starts.

-- Pasi

@ 2010-05-28 10:18           ` wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasik, Xen-devel

Hi pasi

You are right.
There is not any file in /proc/xen and I can't see xen-evtchn when I run lsmod.

But I don’t know how to fix these problems even I read the link in wiki.
Can you provide more detail reference?

thanks a lot.

@ 2010-05-28 10:27             ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-05-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:18:18PM +0800, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
> Hi pasi
>
> You are right.
> There is not any file in /proc/xen and I can't see xen-evtchn when I run lsmod.
>
> But I don???t know how to fix these problems even I read the link in wiki.
> Can you provide more detail reference?

- Check your dom0 kernel .config file. Is the Xen event channel compiled in, or is it built as a module?
  If it's a module, then use "modprobe xen-evtchn" to load it.

- For mounting /proc/xen see the example fstab entry on the XenParavirtOps wiki page. Add the line to /etc/fstab and after that run "mount /proc/xen".
  Xen 3.4.3 and 4.0.0 should automatically mount /proc/xen though.

-- Pasi

@ 2010-05-31  2:38               ` wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-31  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasik; +Cc: Xen-devel

Hi pasi

After following the fstab entry on the XenParavirtOps wiki page,there are files in /proc/xen
I also check the dom0 config file, and there is "<*> Xen /dev/xen/evtchn device".
But in lsmod,there is not xen-evtchn.
I tried modprobe xen-evtchn,and it shows "FATAL : xen_evtchn not found"
do I forget something to do??

thanks

________________________________

@ 2010-05-31  2:47                 ` chris
From: chris @ 2010-05-31  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

If it is <*> then it is compiled in and wont be in the list of loaded
modules....

- chris

@ 2010-05-31  4:57                 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-05-31  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:38:32AM +0800, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
>    Hi pasi
>
>    After following the fstab entry on the XenParavirtOps wiki page,there are
>    files in /proc/xen
>    I also check the dom0 config file, and there is "<*> Xen /dev/xen/evtchn
>    device".
>    But in lsmod,there is not xen-evtchn.
>    I tried modprobe xen-evtchn,and it shows "FATAL : xen_evtchn not found"
>    do I forget something to do??

You have compiled it statically in, so then it's not built as a module.
No need to load it, it's already in there.

After you see files under /proc/xen you should be able to start xend.

If it still doesn't work.. do you have selinux enabled?

-- Pasi

@ 2010-05-31  7:56                   ` wenche_chang
From: wenche_chang @ 2010-05-31  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pasik; +Cc: Xen-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 12570 bytes --]

Hi

I forgot something to modify,and xen works now and there are still some problems.

The following is the message when booting
  mount: xenfs already mounted or /proc/xen busy
  mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /proc/xen
If I remove the  "none /proc/xen xenfs defaults 0 0" in /etc/fstab,there is not this message but xen can't work,too
Is this message correct or I have to modify something ?

The second problem is booting takes a long time.
After showing the message above,it takes about 2 minutes or more then entering OS.
I find some error messages in /log/messages

May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices backend
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices failed xenbus_directory
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch devices probed ok
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch watch add ok ok
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch all done
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices device
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices failed xenbus_directory
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch devices probed ok
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch watch add ok ok
May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch all done

The problem is caused by these error?

Thanks

________________________________

@ 2010-06-01 16:52                     ` Jeremy Fitzhardinge
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge @ 2010-06-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenche_chang; +Cc: Xen-devel

On 05/31/2010 12:56 AM, wenche_chang@trend.com.tw wrote:
> Hi
> I forgot something to modify,and xen works now and there are still
> some problems.
> The following is the message when booting
> mount: xenfs already mounted or /proc/xen busy
> mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /proc/xen
> If I remove the "none /proc/xen xenfs defaults 0 0" in
> /etc/fstab,there is not this message but xen can't work,too
> Is this message correct or I have to modify something ?

I think xend also tries to mount /proc/xen on its own without checking
that it has already been done. There are no side-effects from this.

> The second problem is booting takes a long time.
> After showing the message above,it takes about 2 minutes or more then
> entering OS.
> I find some error messages in /log/messages
>
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: XENBUS: Unable to read cpu state

These messages are from xenstored starting up, and appear harmless
(though I haven't investigated exactly why they're appearing).

> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices backend
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices failed
> xenbus_directory
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch devices
> probed ok
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch watch add ok ok
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: backend_probe_and_watch all done
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices device
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: xenbus_probe_devices failed
> xenbus_directory
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch devices
> probed ok
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch watch add ok ok
> May 31 15:16:02 localhost kernel: frontend_probe_and_watch all done

This is just debug noise, and shouldn't cause any slowdown.

> The problem is caused by these error?

No. If you boot with "printk.time=1 initcall_debug" it should show you a
boot log with timestamps which will point out what is being slow at boot
time.