* converting ib-mgmt scripts to executables
@ 2010-06-10 16:04 Hefty, Sean
       [not found] ` <CF9C39F99A89134C9CF9C4CCB68B8DDF255F64283A-osO9UTpF0USkrb+BlOpmy7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Hefty, Sean @ 2010-06-10 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Khapyorsky, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Sasha,

Before we do the work, would there be any issue converting a couple of the ib-diag scripts to executables?  Specifically, we'd like to have ibchecknet and ibcheckerrors functionality available on Windows.

- Sean

* Re: converting ib-mgmt scripts to executables
       [not found] ` <CF9C39F99A89134C9CF9C4CCB68B8DDF255F64283A-osO9UTpF0USkrb+BlOpmy7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2010-06-10 22:18   ` Ira Weiny
       [not found]     ` <20100610151804.9094001b.weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org>
From: Ira Weiny @ 2010-06-10 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hefty, Sean; +Cc: Sasha Khapyorsky, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:04:01 -0700
"Hefty, Sean" <sean.hefty-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Sasha,
>
> Before we do the work, would there be any issue converting a couple of the ib-diag scripts to executables?  Specifically, we'd like to have ibchecknet and ibcheckerrors functionality available on Windows.

Here at LLNL we were thinking it would be best to start removing some of the
scripts to reduce the confusion about what tools do.  For example, there is
some confusion among our users as to what ibcheckerrs, ibcheckerrors, and
ibqueryerrors does?

AFAICT ibcheckerrors and ibqueryerrors only differ in 3 respects.

   1) the formated output is different
   2) ibcheckerrors calls ibcheckerrs which ignores error counts which are
      below a threshold either hard coded or specified by a file.
   3) ibcheckerrs defaults to use AllPortSelect which may result in a faster
      scan. [*]

      [*] I have a patch for ibqueryerrors which querys AllPortSelect first
      and only issues individual queries if it sees errors.  However, frankly
      it did not seem to speed up the scan on our large clusters so I don't
      know if this is a big difference between ibcheckerrors and
      ibqueryerrors.)

2 is very easy to add to ibqueryerrors, I don't think 1 would be that hard,
and 3 is basically done.

As for ibchecknet, under what use case do you see people running it?  Could
ibnetdiscover or iblinkinfo provide the same functionality?

Ira

@ 2010-06-10 22:27       ` Hefty, Sean
From: Hefty, Sean @ 2010-06-10 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: Sasha Khapyorsky, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

> As for ibchecknet, under what use case do you see people running it?  Could
> ibnetdiscover or iblinkinfo provide the same functionality?

I'll check on how it is being used and whether the other calls would work just as well.

Thanks,

@ 2010-06-14 11:46   ` Sasha Khapyorsky
From: Sasha Khapyorsky @ 2010-06-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hefty, Sean; +Cc: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi Sean,

On 09:04 Thu 10 Jun     , Hefty, Sean wrote:

> Before we do the work, would there be any issue converting a couple of the ib-diag scripts to executables?  Specifically, we'd like to have ibchecknet and ibcheckerrors functionality available on Windows.

Basically I don't see any principal issues. The only note is to try to
not have almost duplicated tools (As Ira already said we have
ibqueryerrors tool already).

Sasha