* [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
@ 2010-06-21 10:19 Ulf Granlund
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Ulf Granlund @ 2010-06-21 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hello,
I am running an Asrock Ion computer under Ubuntu 10.4. It has four Intel Atom CPU cores. In the Asrock BIOS thereis an option to introduce overclocking. I have set the frequencyto 1800 MHz insetad of the standard 1600 MHz.
After having the computer switched on for several hours, but theCPU:s mainly idle, the output from the sensors command is as below,in a room where ambient temperature is about 22 C.
coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:       +4.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:       +3.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
Clearly these temperatures are way too low.However, if I set the processor frequency to the standard 1600 MHz,I get:
coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:      +17.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:      +18.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
Which at least seems far more reasonable.
It seems that the more I overclock, the lower the temperature readings get.Can somebody explain how to get correct temp readings? It is of course more importantto me to get correct readings in the overclocked situation than in the standard situation...
The lm-sensors version used is 3.1.2 and the linux kernel version is 2.6.32.
Regards
Ulf

* Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
@ 2010-06-21 21:06 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2010-06-21 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Ulf,

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:19:50 +0200, Ulf Granlund wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running an Asrock Ion computer under Ubuntu 10.4. It has four Intel Atom CPU cores. In the Asrock BIOS thereis an option to introduce overclocking. I have set the frequency to 1800 MHz insetad of the standard 1600 MHz.

By doing this, you are unsupported. If you decide to use your hardware
beyond its specification, you shouldn't be surprised if it fails.

Please tell us the exact CPU model.

Do you know if the overclocking alters only the frequency, or also the
CPU core voltage?

> After having the computer switched on for several hours, but the CPU:s mainly idle, the output from the sensors command is as below,in a room where ambient temperature is about 22 C.
> coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:       +4.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:       +3.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)

This is horribly formatted.

> Clearly these temperatures are way too low.However, if I set the processor frequency to the standard 1600 MHz,I get:
> coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:      +17.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:      +18.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
> Which at least seems far more reasonable.

This is very interesting. Adding the coretemp driver maintainer in Cc.

> It seems that the more I overclock, the lower the temperature readings get.Can somebody explain how to get correct temp readings? It is of course more importantto me to get correct readings in the overclocked situation than in the standard situation...
> The lm-sensors version used is 3.1.2 and the linux kernel version is 2.6.32.

First thing to check is: do the temperature values increase or decrease
when you load the CPUs?

Then I guess you could give a try to the latest version of the driver,
as it received changes recently:
http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/coretemp/

But anyway, odds are that the sensors are affected by overclocking and
nothing can be done, except: don't do it.

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
@ 2010-06-22  9:00 ` Ulf Granlund
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ulf Granlund @ 2010-06-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Jean, thank you for your answer.
Some answers to your questions, as far as I can get them:
The CPU model is "Intel Atom CPU 330 @1.6 GHz" according to system info in the BIOS.
CPU Voltage: From the manual or the Asrock home page, I have not found any clear specification on exactlywhat parameters the overclocking option alters. I found some hardware review pages on the net stating thatwhen using this option ( with the highest available frequency, 2100 MHz) the CPU voltage is automaticallyset to 1.315 V. I have no idea about how reliable this information is or where they got it from. In the BIOS theoverclocking option is mentioned as "an optimized set" of overclocking parameters, indicating that at least morethan one parameter is affected.
 When I load the CPU:s there is a clear raise in temperature values both when I am overclocked and when running atstandard speed, but for essentially the same CPU load (watching a movie for 5 minutes) the temperatures are about 10 to 15 °Clower in the overclocked state, which does not seem reasonable.
In the hardware reviews found on some net sites, it is mentioned that there is a (Windows) systemmonitoring software that is supplied with the system from Asrock. There is data from this softwarepresented in the reviews, where temperature readings are collected in both standard and overclocked states, andfrom that software they get temperature readings that are clearly higher when running overclocked, which seems to bethe most reasonable result. To me this seems to show that it is possible to get reliable temp readings also in the overclockedstate. But then again that software is supplied by Asrock, and I guess they have full control of all parameters.
Best Regards
Ulf
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:06:05 +0200
> From: khali@linux-fr.org
> To: galsjo@hotmail.com
> CC: lm-sensors@lm-sensors.org; huaxu.wan@intel.com
> Subject: Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
>
> Hi Ulf,
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:19:50 +0200, Ulf Granlund wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am running an Asrock Ion computer under Ubuntu 10.4. It has four Intel Atom CPU cores. In the Asrock BIOS thereis an option to introduce overclocking. I have set the frequency to 1800 MHz insetad of the standard 1600 MHz.
>
> By doing this, you are unsupported. If you decide to use your hardware
> beyond its specification, you shouldn't be surprised if it fails.
>
> Please tell us the exact CPU model.
>
> Do you know if the overclocking alters only the frequency, or also the
> CPU core voltage?
>
>> After having the computer switched on for several hours, but the CPU:s mainly idle, the output from the sensors command is as below,in a room where ambient temperature is about 22 C.
>> coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:       +4.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:       +3.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +16.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>
> This is horribly formatted.
>
>> Clearly these temperatures are way too low.However, if I set the processor frequency to the standard 1600 MHz,I get:
>> coretemp-isa-0000Adapter: ISA adapterCore 0:      +17.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0001Adapter: ISA adapterCore 1:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0002Adapter: ISA adapterCore 2:      +18.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> coretemp-isa-0003Adapter: ISA adapterCore 3:      +25.0°C  (crit = +90.0°C)
>> Which at least seems far more reasonable.
>
> This is very interesting. Adding the coretemp driver maintainer in Cc.
>
>> It seems that the more I overclock, the lower the temperature readings get.Can somebody explain how to get correct temp readings? It is of course more importantto me to get correct readings in the overclocked situation than in the standard situation...
>> The lm-sensors version used is 3.1.2 and the linux kernel version is 2.6.32.
>
> First thing to check is: do the temperature values increase or decrease
> when you load the CPUs?
>
> Then I guess you could give a try to the latest version of the driver,
> as it received changes recently:
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/coretemp/
>
> But anyway, odds are that the sensors are affected by overclocking and
> nothing can be done, except: don't do it.
>
> --
> Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
@ 2010-06-23  7:53 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2010-06-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Ulf,

Preliminary note: the mAtom 330 is a dual-core CPU, so you really have
2 cores, not 4. I guess that each core has hyper-threading, which is
why you see 4 CPU entries. But I suspect that there's only one sensor
per core, so the coretemp driver should only display 2 values. I've
sent a patch fixing this, but it didn't receive any comment:
http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2010-May/028511.html

About the Asrock software: it is possible that Asrock knows about the
problem and silently compensate for it. You'd need to ask them. But it
is also possible that other CPU samples have working sensors when
overclocked and only yours doesn't. Each CPU is unique when
overclocking. The only way to know for sure would be to run the Asrock
software on your own system.

Don't you have an external hardware monitoring chip on your board? It
would probably be less influenced by overclocking, and would thus be
more reliable for comparing the temperature with and without
overclocking.

Anyway, please note that the CPU temperature values reported by the
coretemp driver are notoriously inaccurate as long as they are way
below the critical limit. This is your case. So the bottom line is that
your CPU is very cool and you have no thermal issue at all.

But beware, problems when overclocking aren't limited to a higher
running temperatures. All kind of issues can happen, which you won't
notice until things start failing mysteriously. And overclocking
doesn't buy you much in practice anyway, as the limiting speed factor
these days is more often the disk and memory speed than the CPU speed.

Jean

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:00:37 +0200, Ulf Granlund wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >> It seems that the more I overclock, the lower the temperature readings get.Can somebody explain how to get correct temp readings? It is of course more importantto me to get correct readings in the overclocked situation than in the standard situation...
> >> The lm-sensors version used is 3.1.2 and the linux kernel version is 2.6.32.
> >
> > First thing to check is: do the temperature values increase or decrease
> > when you load the CPUs?
> >
> > Then I guess you could give a try to the latest version of the driver,
> > as it received changes recently:
> > http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/coretemp/
> >
> > But anyway, odds are that the sensors are affected by overclocking and
> > nothing can be done, except: don't do it.
> >
> > --
> > Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-26 20:46 ` Ulf Granlund
From: Ulf Granlund @ 2010-06-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Jean,
I guess you are right about most of this. Clearly, the sensors are very unreliable at low temperatures.If I leave the computer switched off for a few hours in an ambient temp of 23 C, and then turn it on,the senors show values in the order of -5 C for the first few minutes before the machine is warmed up,when reasonably, they should show about 23 C. And this is when the CPU is running at standardspeed. So the error that occurs from overclocking is relatively small compared to this ca 30 C error. It possible that the sensors perform better at higher temp, as you say, but how do I know that? I can stress the machine and see that I get more reasonable values when the CPU is working harder,and also the difference between overclocked and standard speed is less pronounced at higher working load, but there is no real way for me to tell when they stop beeing completely wrong and start beeing right.
Hopefully they will at least fulfill the function of turning the processor down before it burnsup, and apparently that is the only useful function they have, it seems that they can not really be used forreading the temperature.
However, I have one last question. Since the processor only has two physical cores, butI get four readings, is there some way to tell which values are the ones from the realcores?
Thanks for your advice,RegardsUlf

                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-27  7:44 ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2010-06-27  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Ulf,

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:46:13 +0200, Ulf Granlund wrote:
> However, I have one last question. Since the processor only has two physical cores, butI get four readings, is there some way to tell which values are the ones from the realcores?

The coretemp devices are enumerated in the same order as /proc/cpuinfo
entries. On my system, the physical cores are enumerated first, and
hyper-threaded siblings are listed next, which means I can ignore the
second half of the entries. If this is the same for you, then you only
care about coretemp.0 and coretemp.1, and can ignore coretemp.2 and
coretemp.3. But better double-check with /proc/cpuinfo.

Note that I don't think the coretemp driver properly labels the
sensors. It enumerates the CPU entries linearly without any check. Not
only it is wrong because of HT (which my patch should address) but it
also gets wrong on multi-CPU systems, because it should start down from
0 for the second CPU but doesn't.

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: [lm-sensors] Too low temp readings on overclocked Intel Atom CPU
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-28  7:14 ` Wan, Huaxu
From: Wan, Huaxu @ 2010-06-28  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Ulf,

The accuracy of sensors deteriorate more when far away from TjMax, a
spec say the temperature error is about +-10C at 50C. So, as you said,
 the value is more reasonable after the cup load increased.

Thanks
Huaxu