* Remus wiki page updated
@ 2010-07-07 10:21 Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-07-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello,

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Remus

I just updated that wiki page with some info to avoid confusion,
and also linked that page to a couple of other wiki pages.

Let us know if there's something missing or wrong on that page.

-- Pasi

* Re: Remus wiki page updated
@ 2010-07-08  8:32 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-07-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Brendan Cully

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:21:38PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Remus
>
> I just updated that wiki page with some info to avoid confusion,
> and also linked that page to a couple of other wiki pages.
>
> Let us know if there's something missing or wrong on that page.

Brendan: I wrote "Shared storage" to the requirements on the wiki,
since it's listed on the first paragraph on the Remus docs,
but later on it seems Remus doesn't require shared storage?

Is this correct?

Thanks!

-- Pasi

* Re: Remus wiki page updated
@ 2010-07-08 17:24   ` Brendan Cully
From: Brendan Cully @ 2010-07-08 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thursday, 08 July 2010 at 11:32, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:21:38PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Remus
> >
> > I just updated that wiki page with some info to avoid confusion,
> > and also linked that page to a couple of other wiki pages.
> >
> > Let us know if there's something missing or wrong on that page.
> >

> Brendan: I wrote "Shared storage" to the requirements on the wiki,
> since it's listed on the first paragraph on the Remus docs,
> but later on it seems Remus doesn't require shared storage?
>
> Is this correct?

Remus doesn't expect shared storage -- in fact, it requires distinct
disk images for correct buffering of speculative disk writes.

I see what you're referring to in the documentation: "So, the first
thing you should do is make sure that you can live-migrate your VM (in
this mode your guest's disk must be available through shared storage
on both the primary and backup)"

That sentence is only meant to apply to live migration (xm migrate
--live). I'll clarify the documentation about that.

Thanks very much for updating the wiki page!

* Re: Remus wiki page updated
@ 2010-07-08 17:37     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-07-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:24:10AM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Thursday, 08 July 2010 at 11:32, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:21:38PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Remus
> > >
> > > I just updated that wiki page with some info to avoid confusion,
> > > and also linked that page to a couple of other wiki pages.
> > >
> > > Let us know if there's something missing or wrong on that page.
> > >

> > Brendan: I wrote "Shared storage" to the requirements on the wiki,
> > since it's listed on the first paragraph on the Remus docs,
> > but later on it seems Remus doesn't require shared storage?
> >
> > Is this correct?
>
> Remus doesn't expect shared storage -- in fact, it requires distinct
> disk images for correct buffering of speculative disk writes.
>
> I see what you're referring to in the documentation: "So, the first
> thing you should do is make sure that you can live-migrate your VM (in
> this mode your guest's disk must be available through shared storage
> on both the primary and backup)"
>
> That sentence is only meant to apply to live migration (xm migrate
> --live). I'll clarify the documentation about that.
>
> Thanks very much for updating the wiki page!

Ok, I updated the wiki page.

Thanks!

-- Pasi

* Re: Remus wiki page updated
@ 2010-07-09 23:12       ` Keith Coleman
From: Keith Coleman @ 2010-07-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:24:10AM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:

>> > Brendan: I wrote "Shared storage" to the requirements on the wiki,
>> > since it's listed on the first paragraph on the Remus docs,
>> > but later on it seems Remus doesn't require shared storage?
>> >
>> > Is this correct?
>>
>> Remus doesn't expect shared storage -- in fact, it requires distinct
>> disk images for correct buffering of speculative disk writes.
>>
>> I see what you're referring to in the documentation: "So, the first
>> thing you should do is make sure that you can live-migrate your VM (in
>> this mode your guest's disk must be available through shared storage
>> on both the primary and backup)"
>>
>> That sentence is only meant to apply to live migration (xm migrate
>> --live). I'll clarify the documentation about that.
>>
>> Thanks very much for updating the wiki page!
>>

> Ok, I updated the wiki page.

Last I checked you could not run HVM guests with PV drivers. If that's
still the case it should certainly be mentioned.

Keith Coleman