* [Qemu-devel] Networking under Hurd quest still not working
@ 2010-07-09 16:48 Nigel Horne
From: Nigel Horne @ 2010-07-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I've rebuild QEMU and gone back to old images of the Hurd when
networking was working (to eliminate that as a cause).  Networking is
still not working with the latest Git version of QEMU with Linux host
and Hurd guest.

-Nigel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking under Hurd quest still not working
@ 2010-07-10  6:08 ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-10  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Horne; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 05:48:37PM +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:
> I've rebuild QEMU and gone back to old images of the Hurd when
> networking was working (to eliminate that as a cause).  Networking is
> still not working with the latest Git version of QEMU with Linux host
> and Hurd guest.

Do you have more details about that? I haven't been able to reproduce
the problem here. Would be nice to have an image and the command line
you used.

The best would be to bisect the issue to find the commit which
introduced the problem.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking under Hurd quest still not working
@ 2010-07-10  7:42   ` Nigel Horne
From: Nigel Horne @ 2010-07-10  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Aurelien,

Thank you for your reply.
>> I've rebuild QEMU and gone back to old images of the Hurd when
>> networking was working (to eliminate that as a cause).  Networking is
>> still not working with the latest Git version of QEMU with Linux host
>> and Hurd guest.
>>
> Do you have more details about that? I haven't been able to reproduce
> the problem here. Would be nice to have an image and the command line
> you used.

I originally got the image from
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/qemu.html (click on
"Readily Available Images").  I've made a few changes since then
(primarily a few apt-get updates and upgrades).

The command line is "qemu -hda debian-hurd-k16-qemu.img -m 512 -boot c
-net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user --enable-kvm"

The commands I used to get the networking running were:
settrans -afgp /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.0.2.15 -g
10.0.2.2 -m 255.255.255.0
echo "nameserver 10.0.2.3" > /etc/resolv.conf
> The best would be to bisect the issue to find the commit which
> introduced the problem.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, ICQ#20252325, twitter: @nigelhorne

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking under Hurd quest still not working
@ 2010-07-10  8:02     ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-10  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Horne; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 08:42:04AM +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:
> Aurelien,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>>> I've rebuild QEMU and gone back to old images of the Hurd when
>>> networking was working (to eliminate that as a cause).  Networking is
>>> still not working with the latest Git version of QEMU with Linux host
>>> and Hurd guest.
>>>
>> Do you have more details about that? I haven't been able to reproduce
>> the problem here. Would be nice to have an image and the command line
>> you used.
>>

> I originally got the image from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/qemu.html (click on
> "Readily Available Images").  I've made a few changes since then
> (primarily a few apt-get updates and upgrades).
>
> The command line is "qemu -hda debian-hurd-k16-qemu.img -m 512 -boot c
> -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user --enable-kvm"

Here the network already works correctly at this point.

> The commands I used to get the networking running were:
> settrans -afgp /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.0.2.15 -g
> 10.0.2.2 -m 255.255.255.0
> echo "nameserver 10.0.2.3" > /etc/resolv.conf

Even after those lines it still continues to work.

--

@ 2010-07-10  8:16       ` Nigel Horne
From: Nigel Horne @ 2010-07-10  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On 10/07/10 09:02, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 08:42:04AM +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:
>
>> Aurelien,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.

>>> Do you have more details about that? I haven't been able to reproduce
>>> the problem here. Would be nice to have an image and the command line
>>> you used.
>>>

>> I originally got the image from
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/qemu.html (click on
>> "Readily Available Images").  I've made a few changes since then
>> (primarily a few apt-get updates and upgrades).
>>
>> The command line is "qemu -hda debian-hurd-k16-qemu.img -m 512 -boot c
>> -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user --enable-kvm"
>>
> Here the network already works correctly at this point.
>

>> The commands I used to get the networking running were:
>> settrans -afgp /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.0.2.15 -g
>> 10.0.2.2 -m 255.255.255.0
>> echo "nameserver 10.0.2.3">  /etc/resolv.conf
>>
> Even after those lines it still continues to work.

So what next?

--

@ 2010-07-10  8:37         ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2010-07-10  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Horne; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 09:16:36AM +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:
> On 10/07/10 09:02, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 08:42:04AM +0100, Nigel Horne wrote:
>>
>>> Aurelien,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply.

>>> I originally got the image from
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/qemu.html (click on
>>> "Readily Available Images").  I've made a few changes since then
>>> (primarily a few apt-get updates and upgrades).
>>>
>>> The command line is "qemu -hda debian-hurd-k16-qemu.img -m 512 -boot c
>>> -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user --enable-kvm"
>>>
>> Here the network already works correctly at this point.
>>

>>> The commands I used to get the networking running were:
>>> settrans -afgp /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.0.2.15 -g
>>> 10.0.2.2 -m 255.255.255.0
>>> echo "nameserver 10.0.2.3">  /etc/resolv.conf
>>>
>> Even after those lines it still continues to work.
>>
> So what next?

It works perfectly here. Given you are the only one having the problem,
you are the only one that can debug the issue. The best is to bisect
to find the broken commit.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73