* GIT over HTTP
@ 2010-07-22  2:03 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-07-22  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

after lost of research on the www i am still at a loss on how to
properly do push/pull over HTTP

it seems to work on the GIT level, however PUSHS to the remote repository do
NOT show up in the file-structure: adding a file locally, then pushing to the remote repository - the file will not appear in the remote listing, however it became part of the remote repository.

in the httpd.conf i put these directives

<Location /GIT>
  AllowOverride All
  DAV on
</Location>
<Location /GIT/.git>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Git"
  AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/pwd
  Require valid-user
</Location>

as /GIT is the publicly accessible site- i put authentication in the /GIT/.git
location

another issue i can't seem to solve:
having a REWRITE directive in the /GIT directory seems to obstruct any PUSH
attempt from the local repository...

any help would be highy appreciated!

	thanx,

		andreas

IAMAS
Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences

	andreas schneider

	T +81-80-5538 9767
	T.F.M +1-206-350 5073, voiceMail/Fax

SPAM FILTER notice:
Please note that your mail might get caught by SPAM filtering midways.
Using an unambiguous SUBJECT line helps to sort out the good from the bad ;-)

* Re: GIT over HTTP
@ 2010-07-22  4:01 ` Ilari Liusvaara
From: Ilari Liusvaara @ 2010-07-22  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schneider; +Cc: git

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:03:50AM +0900, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> after lost of research on the www i am still at a loss on how to
> properly do push/pull over HTTP
>
> it seems to work on the GIT level, however PUSHS to the remote repository do
> NOT show up in the file-structure: adding a file locally, then pushing to the remote repository - the file will not appear in the remote listing, however it became part of the remote repository.

This is normal. Push does not update working copy. You would need a hook for
that.

< snip dav configuration >

And hooks will not work with WebDAV. You MUST push over some smart transport,
like ssh:// or HTTP with http-backend. HTTP/WebDAV does not cut it.

-Ilari

* Re: git over http
@ 2008-04-19 18:15 ` Mike Hommey
From: Mike Hommey @ 2008-04-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacobhenry; +Cc: git

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:05:36AM -0700, jacobhenry wrote:

> The past couple days I have tried to configure git over http.  To this point
> I have it working for a small repository. However, when I try to push a
> large directory to the server, it gives me a very vague description of the
> error "http-push died with strange error".  My apache logs do not even
> flicker.  Is there anywhere I can look to see what the actual error is?
>
> Here is the trace:
>
> Fetching remote heads...
>   refs/
>   refs/heads/
>   refs/tags/
> updating 'refs/heads/master'
>   from 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000
>   to   267c7ff02a8dbd0e0d81bbfeee4e64faa4773f83
>     sending 301 objects
>     done
> Updating remote server info
> Waiting for http://url/webservice.git/objects/95/
> error: http-push died with strange error
> error: failed to push to 'http://url/webservice.git/'

Is your server webdav-enabled ?

If yes, can you try again with the GIT_CURL_VERBOSE environment variable
set ?

Mike

* git over http
@ 2008-04-19 18:05 jacobhenry