* ath5k debug mode
@ 2010-07-22  4:55 Jonathan Guerin
From: Jonathan Guerin @ 2010-07-22  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, ath5k-devel

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding something, or if they
documentation is older than what's happening in practice. I'm trying
to enable ath5k debug mode so that I can have a poke around in debufs.

Unfortunately, enabling debug in the compat-wireless distro doesn't
seem to output the same information as I've been reading about
elsewhere on the 'net. My understanding is that ath5k should load an
ath5k directory tree into debugfs:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org/msg00266.html

This doesn't seem to be happening at the moment - what I CAN see in
the /debug tree is:
bdi  gpio  ieee80211  kprobes  mce  pktcdvd  sched_features  tracing  usb  x86

Some of the stuff I expect to see in ath5k is in ieee8022, but I
cannot write to this tree. Trying to replicate the cat mentioned in
the link above to set the debug level in this tree fails with a
'permission denied' error.

Trying to load the module with the debug param fails with the following error:
ath5k: Unknown parameter `debug'

I'm wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right
direction to get this working.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan Guerin

* Re: ath5k debug mode
@ 2010-07-22  5:23 ` Bruno Randolf
From: Bruno Randolf @ 2010-07-22  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Guerin; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath5k-devel

On Thu July 22 2010 13:55:36 Jonathan Guerin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding something, or if they
> documentation is older than what's happening in practice. I'm trying
> to enable ath5k debug mode so that I can have a poke around in debufs.
>
> Unfortunately, enabling debug in the compat-wireless distro doesn't
> seem to output the same information as I've been reading about
> elsewhere on the 'net. My understanding is that ath5k should load an
> ath5k directory tree into debugfs:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org/msg00266.html
>
> This doesn't seem to be happening at the moment - what I CAN see in
> the /debug tree is:
> bdi  gpio  ieee80211  kprobes  mce  pktcdvd  sched_features  tracing  usb
> x86
>
> Some of the stuff I expect to see in ath5k is in ieee8022, but I
> cannot write to this tree. Trying to replicate the cat mentioned in
> the link above to set the debug level in this tree fails with a
> 'permission denied' error.
>
> Trying to load the module with the debug param fails with the following
> error: ath5k: Unknown parameter `debug'
>
> I'm wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right
> direction to get this working.

seems like ath5k is not compiled with debugging enabled (did you set
CONFIG_ATH5K_DEBUG=y?), or you are using the wrong (old) module?

bruno

* Re: ath5k debug mode
@ 2010-07-22  6:32   ` Jonathan Guerin
From: Jonathan Guerin @ 2010-07-22  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Randolf; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath5k-devel

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Bruno Randolf <br1@einfach.org> wrote:
> seems like ath5k is not compiled with debugging enabled (did you set
> CONFIG_ATH5K_DEBUG=y?), or you are using the wrong (old) module?

I copied the ath5k-debug config over config.mk and ran make. Make
appears to run gen-compat-autoconf with this new config, and I
double-checked that the config had CONFIG_ATH5K_DEBUG=y set.

I install the modules using: make install

When I modprobe ath5k in verbose mode, it is correctly loading the
modules from the updates directory.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks heaps for replying!
--