* Compile one file in kernel
@ 2010-08-11  0:59 Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou)
From: Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou) @ 2010-08-11  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
	I always using command make, then it will compile all files. How
about just compile one c file(just make sure some modify can compile
successful), how should I do? Is there any command to allow me to doing
this?
	Thanks.
.jovi

* Re: Compile one file in kernel
@ 2010-08-11  1:49 ` Xiaotian Feng
       [not found]   ` <201008110402.o7B42PX5027191@demumfd001.nsn-inter.net>
From: Xiaotian Feng @ 2010-08-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou); +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou)
<wei-jovi.zhang@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>        I always using command make, then it will compile all files. How
> about just compile one c file(just make sure some modify can compile
> successful), how should I do? Is there any command to allow me to doing
> this?

make <filename>.o

@ 2010-08-11  4:09     ` Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou)
       [not found]       ` <201008110444.o7B4iGXs022127@demumfd001.nsn-inter.net>
From: Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou) @ 2010-08-11  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext zhanglx, Xiaotian Feng; +Cc: linux-kernel

Apparently not, you should run "rm -f <filename>.o" firstly, then "make <filename>.o"
Maybe you can write a script to do this if you want to.

If .o file is not cleaned, make will automatically select the changed files
to compile and link?

<wei-jovi.zhang@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>        I always using command make, then it will compile all files. How
> about just compile one c file(just make sure some modify can compile
> successful), how should I do? Is there any command to allow me to doing
> this?

make <filename>.o

@ 2010-08-11  4:27 ` Américo Wang
From: Américo Wang @ 2010-08-11  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou); +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 08:59:06AM +0800, Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou) wrote:
>Hi,
>	I always using command make, then it will compile all files. How
>about just compile one c file(just make sure some modify can compile
>successful), how should I do? Is there any command to allow me to doing
>this?

You can always find these info in `make help`:

  dir/            - Build all files in dir and below
  dir/file.[oisS] - Build specified target only
  dir/file.lst    - Build specified mixed source/assembly target only
                    (requires a recent binutils and recent build (System.map))
  dir/file.ko     - Build module including final link

@ 2010-08-11  4:47         ` Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou)
From: Zhang, Wei-Jovi (NSN - CN/Hangzhou) @ 2010-08-11  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext zhanglx, Xiaotian Feng; +Cc: linux-kernel

Sorry, I forgot it,  make will compare the timestamp of .c and .o file

You mean make will not compare the timestamp of .c and .o file?

<wei-jovi.zhang@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>        I always using command make, then it will compile all files. How
> about just compile one c file(just make sure some modify can compile
> successful), how should I do? Is there any command to allow me to doing
> this?

make <filename>.o