* zaurus pata_pcmcia corrupted filesystem
@ 2010-08-11 14:44 ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson, Tejun Heo,
	Dominik Brodowski, Jeff Garzik, pavel, rpurdie, lenz,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, eric.y.miao,
	utx, zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Hi!
Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
interface, sources are here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing

Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem gets
unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big number of
files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or directories
are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in directory listing but
open or fstat returns ENOENT.

Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.

Anybody has idea what went wrong?

--
Cyril Hrubis
metan@ucw.cz

From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson, Tejun Heo,
[...]

* Re: zaurus pata_pcmcia corrupted filesystem
@ 2010-08-14  4:16   ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2010-08-14  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson,
	Tejun Heo, Dominik Brodowski, Jeff Garzik, pavel, rpurdie, lenz,

Dne St 11. srpna 2010 16:44:11 Cyril Hrubis napsal(a):
> Hi!
> Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
> interface, sources are here:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlo
> g;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing
>
> Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem
> gets unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big
> number of files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
> http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or
> directories are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in
> directory listing but open or fstat returns ENOENT.
>
> Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.
>
> Anybody has idea what went wrong?

I use the pcmcia on a few devices and was unable to replicate it (and I use git
and do some heavy compiling on them too). I'll do some further testing.

Cyril, do you have the PCMCIA timing fix for PXA applied?

From: Marek Vasut @ 2010-08-14  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson,

@ 2010-08-14  9:43   ` Kristoffer Ericson
From: Kristoffer Ericson @ 2010-08-14  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Tejun Heo,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 04:44:11PM +0200, Cyril Hrubis wrote:
> Hi!
> Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
> interface, sources are here:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing
>
> Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem gets
> unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big number of
> files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
> http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or directories
> are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in directory listing but
> open or fstat returns ENOENT.
>
> Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.
>
> Anybody has idea what went wrong?

What kind of number of files (in tar archive) are we talking about in round
figures? Does the files it affect differ in size (large fail, small doesnt)..?
Its hard to say without having more data (as always).

From: Kristoffer Ericson @ 2010-08-14  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Tejun Heo,

@ 2010-08-14 10:43     ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-08-14 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Ericson
  Cc: Cyril Hrubis, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Tejun Heo,
	Dominik Brodowski, Jeff Garzik, pavel, rpurdie, lenz,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, eric.y.miao,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Kristoffer Ericson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 04:44:11PM +0200, Cyril Hrubis wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
> > interface, sources are here:
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing
> >
> > Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem gets
> > unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big number of
> > files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
> > http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or directories
> > are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in directory listing but
> > open or fstat returns ENOENT.
> >
> > Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.
> >
> > Anybody has idea what went wrong?
>
> What kind of number of files (in tar archive) are we talking about in round
> figures? Does the files it affect differ in size (large fail, small doesnt)..?
> Its hard to say without having more data (as always).

These mysterious failures were discussed several times before in
zaurus-devel[1][2][3][4][5][6]. We suspected PCMCIA code, RAM errors or
bad voltage.

Typical reproducers:

git status on kernel tree (false result)
copy files from CF to SD or USB (errors in files)
gcc while using CF WLAN or CF Bluetooth (segfault)

It happened in all kernels at least since 2.6.26, but probably in all
2.6 kernels.

[1] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/2010-June/000306.html
[2] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/2010-June/000305.html
[3] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/2010-April/000242.html
[4] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/2010-March/000217.html
[5] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zaurus-devel/2010-March/000227.html

Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-08-14 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Ericson
  Cc: Cyril Hrubis, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Tejun Heo,

@ 2010-08-14 11:39       ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Kristoffer Ericson, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock,
	Tejun Heo, Dominik Brodowski, Jeff Garzik, pavel, rpurdie, lenz,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, eric.y.miao,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Hi!
> > > Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
> > > interface, sources are here:
> > >
> > > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing
> > >
> > > Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem gets
> > > unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big number of
> > > files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
> > > http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or directories
> > > are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in directory listing but
> > > open or fstat returns ENOENT.
> > >
> > > Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.
> > >
> > > Anybody has idea what went wrong?
> >
> > What kind of number of files (in tar archive) are we talking about in round
> > figures? Does the files it affect differ in size (large fail, small doesnt)..?
> > Its hard to say without having more data (as always).
>
> These mysterious failures were discussed several times before in
> zaurus-devel[1][2][3][4][5][6]. We suspected PCMCIA code, RAM errors or
> bad voltage.
>
> Typical reproducers:
>
> git status on kernel tree (false result)
> copy files from CF to SD or USB (errors in files)
> gcc while using CF WLAN or CF Bluetooth (segfault)
>
> It happened in all kernels at least since 2.6.26, but probably in all
> 2.6 kernels.

These seems to be different, at least it newer occured so often to me. Now
installing debian packages often fails because it cannot remove temporary
files, the filesystem worked reasonably good before.

The usecase is to unpack archive with a lot rather small files somewhere deeper
to the filesystem tree. Eg. installing gtk2-devel failed miserably when trying
to move all the header files from *.h.dpkg-new to *.h, this works rather good
with old driver.

--
Cyril Hrubis

From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: Kristoffer Ericson, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock,

@ 2010-08-14 14:15         ` Stanislav Brabec
From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-08-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Kristoffer Ericson, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock,

Cyril Hrubis wrote:

> These seems to be different, at least it newer occured so often to me. Now
> installing debian packages often fails because it cannot remove temporary
> files, the filesystem worked reasonably good before.
>
> The usecase is to unpack archive with a lot rather small files somewhere deeper
> to the filesystem tree. Eg. installing gtk2-devel failed miserably when trying
> to move all the header files from *.h.dpkg-new to *.h, this works rather good
> with old driver.

Well, I remember opkg crashes while installing emacs (many small files)
and file system corruption as well. Both with kernel 2.6.26.

From: Stanislav Brabec @ 2010-08-14 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Kristoffer Ericson, linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock,

@ 2010-08-14 16:48     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-14 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Vasut
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson,
	Tejun Heo, Dominik Brodowski, Jeff Garzik, pavel, rpurdie, lenz,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, eric.y.miao,
	utx, zaurus-devel

Hi!
> > Marek Vasut ported deprecated zaurus pcmcia disk driver to the pata_pcmcia
> > interface, sources are here:
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/marex/pxa-linux-2.6.git;a=shortlo
> > g;h=refs/heads/zaurus-haxing
> >
> > Everythig seems to be fine at the first look but sometimes the filesystem
> > gets unconsistent. Typical example is extracting tar archive with big
> > number of files and directories (I used ltp-full archive from
> > http://www.sf.net/projects/ltp/). After doing that, some files or
> > directories are present in the filesystem, eg. you can see them in
> > directory listing but open or fstat returns ENOENT.
> >
> > Extracting to SD card seems to work without any problems.
> >
> > Anybody has idea what went wrong?
>
> I use the pcmcia on a few devices and was unable to replicate it (and I use git
> and do some heavy compiling on them too). I'll do some further testing.
>
> Cyril, do you have the PCMCIA timing fix for PXA applied?

Well git log says so:

    pxa2xx/cpufreq: Fix PCMCIA frequency scaling

    The MCxx values must be based off memory clock, not CPU core clock.

    This also fixes the bug where on some machines the LCD went crazy while using
    PCMCIA.

At least it's your tree that I've been testing ;).

--
Cyril Hrubis

From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-14 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Vasut
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, Robert Hancock, Kristoffer Ericson,

@ 2010-08-21  9:51             ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-21  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Brabec
  Cc: thommycheck-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Marek Vasut,
	lenz-hcNo3dDEHLuVc3sceRu5cw, dbaryshkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	arminlitzel-S0/GAf8tV78, linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Dominik Brodowski, linux-ide-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Kristoffer Ericson, rpurdie-Fm38FmjxZ/leoWH0uzbU5w, Tejun Heo,
	eric.y.miao-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Jeff Garzik,
	zaurus-devel-cunTk1MwBs/k6gDgw6ADrEB+6BGkLq7r, Robert Hancock

Hi!
> > These seems to be different, at least it newer occured so often to me. Now
> > installing debian packages often fails because it cannot remove temporary
> > files, the filesystem worked reasonably good before.
> >
> > The usecase is to unpack archive with a lot rather small files somewhere deeper
> > to the filesystem tree. Eg. installing gtk2-devel failed miserably when trying
> > to move all the header files from *.h.dpkg-new to *.h, this works rather good
> > with old driver.
>
> Well, I remember opkg crashes while installing emacs (many small files)
> and file system corruption as well. Both with kernel 2.6.26.

The main difference is that now it's 100% reproducible and I've never seen
corruption bad enough so I could not delete files without doing fsck first.

Here is pseudo output from fsck on ext3 filesystem after these problems
appeared:

Pass 2:

Bunch of these:

Invalid HTREE directory inode $NUMBER
$PATH/$FILE
Clear HTree index<y>?

and these:

Problem in HTree directory inode $NUMBER: block #$NR has bad max hash

Pass 3:

Bunch of:

Entry '$FILE in $PATH ($NUMBER) has a non-unique filename.
Rename to $FILE~0<y>?

Happily the files/directories affected was only the recently written from the
kernel from marex tree.  I haven't seen file content to be corrupted (that
doesn't mean there weren't any corruptions) but it seems they are not so likely
as directory tree corruption.

--
metan

From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2010-08-21  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)