* [Qemu-devel] Networking problems
@ 2010-08-12 17:12 Daniel Carrera
From: Daniel Carrera @ 2010-08-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello,

I've spent the last day trying to get NetBSD installed on a QEMU
virtual machine. The problem I'm having is that I can't get online. As
of now, this is the command I'm using:

qemu -cdrom netbsd-i386cd-5.0.2.iso -hda NetBSD.img -no-acpi -net
nic,model=pcnet

With this command I can get a virtual machine, NetBSD runs, it detects
the network card, it does not complain about the network card, and it
attempts to use DHCP to get online. And that's where things go wrong.
QEMU emulates a DHCP server and NetBSD cannot even see it.

Earlier I had it at the point where it would receive an IP in the
10.x.x.x region, as well as a gateway and nameserver but then it still
couldn't ping anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm feeling very frustrated right now. I really hope
that someone here can help me out. I want to get networking with QEMU.
I just want it to work and I feel about ready to throw my computer out
the window.

Daniel.
--
Intolerant people should be shot.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking problems
@ 2010-08-12 19:35 ` Cliff Wright
From: Cliff Wright @ 2010-08-12 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Carrera; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:12:14 +0200
Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@gmail.com> wrote:

> qemu -cdrom netbsd-i386cd-5.0.2.iso -hda NetBSD.img -no-acpi -net
> nic,model=pcnet

Its been a while since updating qemu, so on old version I had
-net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -redir tcp:2023::22 -soundhw es1370
is the missing "-net user" causing you trouble?
--
Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking problems
@ 2010-08-12 20:15   ` Daniel Carrera
From: Daniel Carrera @ 2010-08-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Wright; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org> wrote:
> Its been a while since updating qemu, so on old version I had
> -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -redir tcp:2023::22 -soundhw es1370
> is the missing "-net user" causing you trouble?

Actually, yes, the "-net user" flag makes a difference. The QEMU
documentation *says* that it is not necessary, so I omitted it. But if
you add "-net user" then at least NetBSD can get an IP and gateway
from QEMU's DHCP server.

Unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. It still cannot go online.
When NetBSD tries to "ping 10.0.2.3" (gateway I think) it just gets
100% packet loss. Let me show you qemu's output on the command line:

--------%<--------
$ qemu -cdrom foo.iso -hda bar.img -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -no-acpi
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
--------%<--------

Judging from wikipedia, KVM is a reference to kernel-based native
virtualization using Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Unfortunately, my CPU is
just a bit to old to support VT-x so naturally I don't get KVM. But
QEMU should not require KVM to work, since that's a very recent
feature on Linux.

Daniel.
--

@ 2010-08-14 18:10     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2010-08-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Carrera; +Cc: qemu-devel, Cliff Wright

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 03:15, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's as far as it goes. It still cannot go online.
> When NetBSD tries to "ping 10.0.2.3" (gateway I think) it just gets
> 100% packet loss. Let me show you qemu's output on the command line:

ping is "neglected" in user mode network. Try using something like
browser or tcptraceroute (traceroute variant which use tcp or udp) and
see the difference...

but first make sure the IP, netmask and default gw are correctly configured...

> --------%<--------
> $ qemu -cdrom foo.iso -hda bar.img -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user -no-acpi
> open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
> --------%<--------

find the option to disable kvm support...or recompile compile without
KVM support....your choice...

> Judging from wikipedia, KVM is a reference to kernel-based native
> virtualization using Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Unfortunately, my CPU is
> just a bit to old to support VT-x so naturally I don't get KVM. But
> QEMU should not require KVM to work, since that's a very recent
> feature on Linux.

No worries, the developers are implementing TCG now..should be faster
than the old one now.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Networking problems
@ 2010-09-02  4:39 ` chandra shekar
From: chandra shekar @ 2010-09-02  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

hi, iam chandra shekar i have started qemu as my PG project and i have
to find the part of source code in qemu source which deals with snap shots
and finding it difficult as there is no proper documentation i have also tried
using gdb but no use can any one please suggest any solutions,thanks