* Interest in a driver for PCMCIA Bus toaster (New Media) with advansys chip set?
@ 2010-08-14 17:34 Stefan Schmitt
From: Stefan Schmitt @ 2010-08-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

Hallo,

the card is labelled PS: 404-15-02A. As much as I could see, there
is no linux driver available.

        Product Name:   PCMCIA Bus Toaster SCSI Adapter
        Identification: manf_id: 0x10cd card_id: 0x0001
                 function: 8 (SCSI)
                 prod_id(1): "PCMCIA Bus Toaster" (0x590031a6)
                 prod_id(2): "SCSI Adapter" (0x96269fcd)

I have an initial version of driver code (for the 2.6 kernel). I could send
the code to someone more experienced if there is interest.

Cheers,
Stefan

* Re: Interest in a driver for PCMCIA Bus toaster (New Media) with advansys chip set?
@ 2010-08-14 18:37 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2010-08-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmitt; +Cc: linux-scsi

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 07:34:05PM +0200, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> the card is labelled PS: 404-15-02A. As much as I could see, there
> is no linux driver available.
>
>         Product Name:   PCMCIA Bus Toaster SCSI Adapter
>         Identification: manf_id: 0x10cd card_id: 0x0001
>                  function: 8 (SCSI)
>                  prod_id(1): "PCMCIA Bus Toaster" (0x590031a6)
>                  prod_id(2): "SCSI Adapter" (0x96269fcd)
>
> I have an initial version of driver code (for the 2.6 kernel). I could send
> the code to someone more experienced if there is interest.

Is it (in any way) similar to the PCI/ISA advansys chipsets?  (see
drivers/scsi/advansys.c)  If so, we should probably merge the drivers.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

* Re: Interest in a driver for PCMCIA Bus toaster (New Media) with advansys chip set?
@ 2010-08-14 20:57   ` Stefan Schmitt
From: Stefan Schmitt @ 2010-08-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

On Saturday 14 August 2010 at 20:37:14 Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 07:34:05PM +0200, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > the card is labelled PS: 404-15-02A. As much as I could see, there
> > is no linux driver available.
> >
> >         Product Name:   PCMCIA Bus Toaster SCSI Adapter
> >         Identification: manf_id: 0x10cd card_id: 0x0001
> >                  function: 8 (SCSI)
> >                  prod_id(1): "PCMCIA Bus Toaster" (0x590031a6)
> >                  prod_id(2): "SCSI Adapter" (0x96269fcd)
> >
> > I have an initial version of driver code (for the 2.6 kernel). I could
> > send the code to someone more experienced if there is interest.
>
> Is it (in any way) similar to the PCI/ISA advansys chipsets?  (see
> drivers/scsi/advansys.c)  If so, we should probably merge the drivers.

the code is sort of similar, so maybe this could be done. Here are the main
differences:

 (1) the PCMCIA card uses memory mapped IO in contrast to the PCI/ISA drivers
 (2) the PCMCIA card does not do DMA [at least not on my computer] so there is
an extra part in the driver for doing PIO.

I also experienced some difficulties with a few other parts of the PCI/ISA
driver code and this PCMCIA board. The microcode can be shared in any case.

* Re: Interest in a driver for PCMCIA Bus toaster (New Media) with advansys chip set?
@ 2010-08-15 13:17 ` Bob Tracy
From: Bob Tracy @ 2010-08-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Schmitt; +Cc: linux-scsi

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 07:34:05PM +0200, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> the card is labelled PS: 404-15-02A. As much as I could see, there
> is no linux driver available.
>
>         Product Name:   PCMCIA Bus Toaster SCSI Adapter
>         Identification: manf_id: 0x10cd card_id: 0x0001
>                  function: 8 (SCSI)
>                  prod_id(1): "PCMCIA Bus Toaster" (0x590031a6)
>                  prod_id(2): "SCSI Adapter" (0x96269fcd)
>
> I have an initial version of driver code (for the 2.6 kernel). I could send
> the code to someone more experienced if there is interest.

I suspect this will turn out as it did for me when I tried to do
something similar with the Symbios Logic 53c500 version of the New Media
Bus Toaster :-).  Since you presumably have access to the card, you're in
the best position to do further development and testing on the driver.

Maybe the other one or two people running Linux who have one of these
beasts will come forward and volunteer to help with the testing, but the
53c500 version was supposedly newer (circa 1997), so the odds aren't
good.  Even so, I'd say please submit the driver.  I wouldn't trade my
experience with the driver development process for anything: it was fun
and I learned a lot.

--Bob

* Re: Interest in a driver for PCMCIA Bus toaster (New Media) with advansys chip set?
@ 2010-08-24  7:12   ` Stefan Schmitt
From: Stefan Schmitt @ 2010-08-24  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Tracy; +Cc: linux-scsi

On Sunday 15 August 2010 at 15:17:22 Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 07:34:05PM +0200, Stefan Schmitt wrote:
> > the card is labelled PS: 404-15-02A. As much as I could see, there
> > is no linux driver available.
> >
> >         Product Name:   PCMCIA Bus Toaster SCSI Adapter
> >         Identification: manf_id: 0x10cd card_id: 0x0001
> >                  function: 8 (SCSI)
> >                  prod_id(1): "PCMCIA Bus Toaster" (0x590031a6)
> >                  prod_id(2): "SCSI Adapter" (0x96269fcd)
> >
> > I have an initial version of driver code (for the 2.6 kernel). I could
> > send the code to someone more experienced if there is interest.
>
> I suspect this will turn out as it did for me when I tried to do
> something similar with the Symbios Logic 53c500 version of the New Media
> Bus Toaster :-).  Since you presumably have access to the card, you're in
> the best position to do further development and testing on the driver.
>
> Maybe the other one or two people running Linux who have one of these
> beasts will come forward and volunteer to help with the testing, but the
> 53c500 version was supposedly newer (circa 1997), so the odds aren't
> good.  Even so, I'd say please submit the driver.  I wouldn't trade my
> experience with the driver development process for anything: it was fun
> and I learned a lot.
>
> --Bob

In case someone is interested: the code is available here:

http://www.alice-dsl.net/development.stefan/bustoaster2_cs/bustoaster2_cs.tgz

Stefan