* Re: Report FSP gesture code through EV_MSC?
       [not found] <10082011211418.7744@cnaqrzbavhz.fragryvp.pbz>
@ 2010-08-20  5:14 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2010-08-20  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tai-hwa Liang; +Cc: Linux Input

Hi Tai-hwa,

[Noe really cc-ing linux-input...]

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:30:14AM +0800, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Is it okay to use input_event(dev, EV_MSC, MSC_GESTURE, code) to report
> gesture code sent from our FSP?  It looks to me there is no MSC_GESTURE
> user in various kernel input driver so far.
>
> * gesture code is a feature provided by Sentelic FSP, which converts
>   particular finger movement(single or multiple fingers) into a 8 bit
>   integer.  This supposes to save userland applications some time to
>   parse/process the gesture through multiple abs. coordinates.

While the preferred way is to perform gesture recognition in userland
(where it is easier to adjust to user's preferences and share the code
between all kinds of input devices), for devices that do not report
absolute coordinates, like FSP, it should be OK to use MSC_GESTURE.
Or are you planning to activate absolute mode on your devices?

I think we should define a set of known values for this events so of
there is another driver using these they could use the same values.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-08-20  5:14 UTC | newest]