* xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-08-29  9:20 Bogdan
From: Bogdan @ 2010-08-29  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

 Hello.

 I couldn't find this information in the xfsprogs ChangeLog, so I'm
asking here: what is the minimum version of xfsprogs to:

1) contain these utilities: xfs_db, xfs_freeze, xfs_check, and
2) xfs_db accepts the following command-line parameters: -i, -c, and
3) xfs_freeze accepts the following command-line parameters: -f, -u, and
4) xfs_db accepts the following interactive mode commands: "freesp
-d", "quit", "blockget -n", "ncheck", "sb 0", "print".

 Or is there a ChangeLog that covers all xfsprogs versions in such
deatil that I would be able to find this myself? If so, where can I
find it?

--
Pozdrawiam/Regards - Bogdan                     (GNU/Linux & FreeDOS)
Kurs asemblera x86 (DOS, GNU/Linux):http://rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl/~bogdro

* Re: xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-08-30  1:52 ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2010-08-30  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan; +Cc: xfs

Bogdan wrote:
>  Hello.
>
>  I couldn't find this information in the xfsprogs ChangeLog, so I'm
> asking here: what is the minimum version of xfsprogs to:
>
> 1) contain these utilities: xfs_db, xfs_freeze, xfs_check, and
> 2) xfs_db accepts the following command-line parameters: -i, -c, and
> 3) xfs_freeze accepts the following command-line parameters: -f, -u, and
> 4) xfs_db accepts the following interactive mode commands: "freesp
> -d", "quit", "blockget -n", "ncheck", "sb 0", "print".

I am not surprised that changelogs do not mention when "quit" was
added to xfs_db ...!

>  Or is there a ChangeLog that covers all xfsprogs versions in such
> deatil that I would be able to find this myself? If so, where can I
> find it?

You could look at git and/or cvs history/blame to see when commands &
options were added.

Most of the things you ask about are SO OLD it will take some digging
through renames and moves.

Do you really need to know if "xfs_check" was added in 1994, or 1995, for
example? :)

This strikes me as a bit of an odd question; what is your motivation here?

-Eric

* Re: xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-08-30  5:38   ` Michael Monnerie
From: Michael Monnerie @ 2010-08-30  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 626 bytes --]

On Montag, 30. August 2010 Eric Sandeen wrote:
> This strikes me as a bit of an odd question; what is your motivation
>  here?

I'd guess they have a program using that features, and they want to tell
people "this needs at least version X of xfsprogs".

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services
Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31

****** Aktuelles Radiointerview! ******
http://www.it-podcast.at/aktuelle-sendung.html

// http://zmi.at/langegg/
// http://zmi.at/haus2009/

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-08-30 16:34   ` Bogdan
From: Bogdan @ 2010-08-30 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

On 30.08.2010 03:52, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Bogdan wrote:
>>  Hello.
>>
>>  I couldn't find this information in the xfsprogs ChangeLog, so I'm
>> asking here: what is the minimum version of xfsprogs to:
>>
>> 1) contain these utilities: xfs_db, xfs_freeze, xfs_check, and
>> 2) xfs_db accepts the following command-line parameters: -i, -c, and
>> 3) xfs_freeze accepts the following command-line parameters: -f, -u, and
>> 4) xfs_db accepts the following interactive mode commands: "freesp
>> -d", "quit", "blockget -n", "ncheck", "sb 0", "print".
>
> I am not surprised that changelogs do not mention when "quit" was
> added to xfs_db ...!

 It could have been "exit" one day in the past, right?

>>  Or is there a ChangeLog that covers all xfsprogs versions in such
>> deatil that I would be able to find this myself? If so, where can I
>> find it?
>>

> You could look at git and/or cvs history/blame to see when commands &
> options were added.

 Is everything really there? How do I get these?

> Most of the things you ask about are SO OLD it will take some digging
> through renames and moves.

 I thought so. I'm surprised such things as added commands aren't in
the ChangeLog, unless they were present from the first version.

> Do you really need to know if "xfs_check" was added in 1994, or 1995, for
> example? :)

 No. I need to know what was the first version of the xfsprogs package
that contained this program. The version number, not the year.

> This strikes me as a bit of an odd question; what is your motivation here?

 I'm writing a program that executes xfs_db and other processes,
passes commands to them and reads replies. Now I want to know what the
minimum required version is to be sure that these commands are
accepted. I know this might seem strange, but I'd like to know this in
more detail, so I can say "requires xfsprogs version X.Y.Z or newer"
instead of "requires xfsprogs" (which would imply that all versions
work, and this might not be the case). If it would be "1.0.0", great.
But I wanted to be sure.

--

@ 2010-08-30 16:44     ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2010-08-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan; +Cc: xfs

Bogdan wrote:
> On 30.08.2010 03:52, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Bogdan wrote:
>>>  Hello.
>>>
>>>  I couldn't find this information in the xfsprogs ChangeLog, so I'm
>>> asking here: what is the minimum version of xfsprogs to:
>>>
>>> 1) contain these utilities: xfs_db, xfs_freeze, xfs_check, and
>>> 2) xfs_db accepts the following command-line parameters: -i, -c, and
>>> 3) xfs_freeze accepts the following command-line parameters: -f, -u, and
>>> 4) xfs_db accepts the following interactive mode commands: "freesp
>>> -d", "quit", "blockget -n", "ncheck", "sb 0", "print".
>> I am not surprised that changelogs do not mention when "quit" was
>> added to xfs_db ...!
>
>  It could have been "exit" one day in the past, right?

It could have been, but if it was "quit" from day one, that's never
going to make it to a changelog.  :)

>>>  Or is there a ChangeLog that covers all xfsprogs versions in such
>>> deatil that I would be able to find this myself? If so, where can I
>>> find it?
>>>
>> You could look at git and/or cvs history/blame to see when commands &
>> options were added.
>
>  Is everything really there? How do I get these?

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfsprogs.git
http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfsdump.git

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xfs-cmds/

Most everything should be there.

>> Most of the things you ask about are SO OLD it will take some digging
>> through renames and moves.
>
>  I thought so. I'm surprised such things as added commands aren't in
> the ChangeLog, unless they were present from the first version.
>
>> Do you really need to know if "xfs_check" was added in 1994, or 1995, for
>> example? :)
>
>  No. I need to know what was the first version of the xfsprogs package
> that contained this program. The version number, not the year.

well, equivalently, do you care if it was version 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, from the
1990's era.

For everything you asked about, I think they've all been there since
inception.

I think picking a version from maybe 5 years ago and checking that the
commands are all there would suffice; it would be -very- unlikely that
anything older is still in use.

>> This strikes me as a bit of an odd question; what is your motivation here?
>
>  I'm writing a program that executes xfs_db and other processes,
> passes commands to them and reads replies. Now I want to know what the
> minimum required version is to be sure that these commands are
> accepted. I know this might seem strange, but I'd like to know this in
> more detail, so I can say "requires xfsprogs version X.Y.Z or newer"
> instead of "requires xfsprogs" (which would imply that all versions
> work, and this might not be the case). If it would be "1.0.0", great.
> But I wanted to be sure.

Ok, understood.

I think the fastest route, since nothing you asked for is particularly
"new" would be to just grab a sufficiently old version and double check
that the commands are there.  Easier than chasing through the repository,
I think.

-Eric

* Re: xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-09-01 15:59       ` Bogdan
From: Bogdan @ 2010-09-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

On 30.08.2010 18:44, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Bogdan wrote:
>>  Is everything really there? How do I get these?
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfsprogs.git
> http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfsdump.git
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xfs-cmds/
>
> Most everything should be there.

 Starting from version 3, as I can see. I couldn't go further in the past.

>>> Most of the things you ask about are SO OLD it will take some digging
>>> through renames and moves.
>>
>>  I thought so. I'm surprised such things as added commands aren't in
>> the ChangeLog, unless they were present from the first version.
>>
>>> Do you really need to know if "xfs_check" was added in 1994, or 1995, for
>>> example? :)
>>
>>  No. I need to know what was the first version of the xfsprogs package
>> that contained this program. The version number, not the year.
>
> well, equivalently, do you care if it was version 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, from the
> 1990's era.
>
> For everything you asked about, I think they've all been there since
> inception.

 That would be good.

> I think picking a version from maybe 5 years ago and checking that the
> commands are all there would suffice; it would be -very- unlikely that
> anything older is still in use.

 Hopefully. I got some versions like 2.0.3 and 2.7.11. Where do I get
older?

>>> This strikes me as a bit of an odd question; what is your motivation here?
>>
>>  I'm writing a program that executes xfs_db and other processes,
>> passes commands to them and reads replies. Now I want to know what the
>> minimum required version is to be sure that these commands are
>> accepted. I know this might seem strange, but I'd like to know this in
>> more detail, so I can say "requires xfsprogs version X.Y.Z or newer"
>> instead of "requires xfsprogs" (which would imply that all versions
>> work, and this might not be the case). If it would be "1.0.0", great.
>> But I wanted to be sure.
>
> Ok, understood.
>
> I think the fastest route, since nothing you asked for is particularly
> "new" would be to just grab a sufficiently old version and double check
> that the commands are there.  Easier than chasing through the repository,
> I think.

 Surely. But where do I get such old versions?

--

@ 2010-09-01 16:04         ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2010-09-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogdan; +Cc: xfs

Bogdan wrote:

>> I think the fastest route, since nothing you asked for is particularly
>> "new" would be to just grab a sufficiently old version and double check
>> that the commands are there.  Easier than chasing through the repository,
>> I think.
>
>  Surely. But where do I get such old versions?

CVS should have older but that can be hard to work with

If it's ok with you to use old fedora src.rpms, try:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xfsprogs

which goes back to 2.8.11 in Apr. 2007.

Ah I just found:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/previous/cmd_tars/xfsprogs-2.7.11.src.tar.gz

as well.

I really think any serious user of xfs will not be using
tools which are more than 5 years old, so if these versions satisfy
your requirements, I wouldn't worry too much about whether older
versions do as well...

-Eric

* Re: xfsprogs: minimum version with these commands
@ 2010-09-03 16:32           ` Bogdan
From: Bogdan @ 2010-09-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: xfs

On 01.09.2010 18:04, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Bogdan wrote:
>
>>> I think the fastest route, since nothing you asked for is particularly
>>> "new" would be to just grab a sufficiently old version and double check
>>> that the commands are there.  Easier than chasing through the repository,
>>> I think.
>>
>>  Surely. But where do I get such old versions?
>>

> CVS should have older but that can be hard to work with
>
> If it's ok with you to use old fedora src.rpms, try:
>
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xfsprogs
>
> which goes back to 2.8.11 in Apr. 2007.
>
> Ah I just found:
>
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/previous/cmd_tars/xfsprogs-2.7.11.src.tar.gz
>
> as well.
>
> I really think any serious user of xfs will not be using
> tools which are more than 5 years old, so if these versions satisfy
> your requirements, I wouldn't worry too much about whether older
> versions do as well...

 OK, thank you for your time and help.