* Errors in man git
@ 2010-09-08 14:36 Daniel U. Thibault
From: Daniel U. Thibault @ 2010-09-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, git-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

     There are no indications in the "man git" pages as to how to report
errors, so I'm following the instructions I googled at
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/reporting_bugs.html (adding

    The "man git" pages give the syntax (SYNOPSIS) as:

##########
git [--version] [--exec-path[=GIT_EXEC_PATH]] [--html-path]
            [-p|--paginate|--no-pager] [--no-replace-objects]
            [--bare] [--git-dir=GIT_DIR] [--work-tree=GIT_WORK_TREE]
            [--help] COMMAND [ARGS]
##########

    Hence "git COMMAND" should work once the appropriate value is
substituted for COMMAND.  The COMMANDs are later documented (GIT
COMMANDS) as long lists of "porcelain" and "plumbing" COMMANDs.
However, *none* of the COMMANDs given actually work.  For instance, one
(porcelain) COMMAND is "git-gui" but typing "git git-gui" in a command
shell results in the message:

##########
git: 'git-gui' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
##########

    The actual COMMAND (documented under "man git-gui") is "gui".

    Now, if the intent of the COMMAND lists is to send the user off to
the other man-pages, that is fine but ought to be clearly indicated by a
preamble of some sort.  Maybe the man pages should read something like:

GIT COMMANDS
        We divide git into high level ("porcelain") commands and low level
        ("plumbing") commands.

        The actual COMMAND strings are documented under the individual
        man pages listed in what follows.  For instance, the COMMAND for
        "adding file contents to the index" is given by the git-add man
pages.