* after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-09 22:41 Norbert Preining
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Norbert Preining @ 2010-09-09 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, dri-devel

Hi all,

running: 2.6.36-rc3+ (from git) on Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
(Sony Vaio Z11)
Debian/unstable, so xserver 1.7.7, intel driver: 2.12.0

since some recent kernel I have the following problem: When closing the
lid on power, so the machine does not suspend, the backlight is properly
turned off.

But when I open the lid again the backlight goes on, but there is nothing
to see: No screensaver, no activity, nothing. Switching to Console in
blind didn't work either.

The machine is still responsible (Sysrq, but also CapsLock), and
killing the X process with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back a working
X.

I am quite sure that it *was* working in former time, but cannot
pinpoint eaxactely when the problems started.

If you need any further information or testing, please let me know.
But it will take some time until I am back somewhere where I can
ssh into my machine (or try if I can ssh into).

Best wishes

Norbert
BELPER
A knob of someone else's chewing gum which you unexpectedly find your
hand resting on under a deck's top, under the passenger seat of your
car or on somebody's thigh under their skirt.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-10  6:08 ` Justin P. Mattock
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2010-09-10  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: linux-kernel, dri-devel

On 09/09/2010 03:41 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> running: 2.6.36-rc3+ (from git) on Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
> (Sony Vaio Z11)
> Debian/unstable, so xserver 1.7.7, intel driver: 2.12.0
>
> since some recent kernel I have the following problem: When closing the
> lid on power, so the machine does not suspend, the backlight is properly
> turned off.
>
> But when I open the lid again the backlight goes on, but there is nothing
> to see: No screensaver, no activity, nothing. Switching to Console in
> blind didn't work either.
>
> The machine is still responsible (Sysrq, but also CapsLock), and
> killing the X process with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back a working
> X.
>
> I am quite sure that it *was* working in former time, but cannot
> pinpoint eaxactely when the problems started.
>
> If you need any further information or testing, please let me know.
> But it will take some time until I am back somewhere where I can
> ssh into my machine (or try if I can ssh into).
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live&  Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

if you change up kernels and one of them causes this..then I would do a
bisect.. but if changing kernels makes no diff, then it's userpsace
related(but could be wrong) i.e. on my machine I use acpid
/etc/acpi/lid.sh in there its a simple call to s2ram (works fine(with
radeon though))looking at some of the distros scripts(no-offense) theres
loads of stuff in there todo all kinds of calls..

hope this helps.

Justin P. Mattock

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-10  6:08 ` Justin P. Mattock
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2010-09-10  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-kernel

On 09/09/2010 03:41 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> running: 2.6.36-rc3+ (from git) on Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
> (Sony Vaio Z11)
> Debian/unstable, so xserver 1.7.7, intel driver: 2.12.0
>
> since some recent kernel I have the following problem: When closing the
> lid on power, so the machine does not suspend, the backlight is properly
> turned off.
>
> But when I open the lid again the backlight goes on, but there is nothing
> to see: No screensaver, no activity, nothing. Switching to Console in
> blind didn't work either.
>
> The machine is still responsible (Sysrq, but also CapsLock), and
> killing the X process with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back a working
> X.
>
> I am quite sure that it *was* working in former time, but cannot
> pinpoint eaxactely when the problems started.
>
> If you need any further information or testing, please let me know.
> But it will take some time until I am back somewhere where I can
> ssh into my machine (or try if I can ssh into).
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live&  Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

if you change up kernels and one of them causes this..then I would do a
bisect.. but if changing kernels makes no diff, then it's userpsace
related(but could be wrong) i.e. on my machine I use acpid
/etc/acpi/lid.sh in there its a simple call to s2ram (works fine(with
radeon though))looking at some of the distros scripts(no-offense) theres
loads of stuff in there todo all kinds of calls..

hope this helps.

Justin P. Mattock

Automate Storage Tiering Simply
Optimize IT performance and efficiency through flexible, powerful,
automated storage tiering capabilities. View this brief to learn how
you can reduce costs and improve performance.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/dell-sfdev2dev

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-10 18:47 ` Andy Isaacson
From: Andy Isaacson @ 2010-09-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: linux-kernel, dri-devel

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 07:41:17AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> running: 2.6.36-rc3+ (from git) on Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
> (Sony Vaio Z11)
> Debian/unstable, so xserver 1.7.7, intel driver: 2.12.0
>
> since some recent kernel I have the following problem: When closing the
> lid on power, so the machine does not suspend, the backlight is properly
> turned off.
>
> But when I open the lid again the backlight goes on, but there is nothing
> to see: No screensaver, no activity, nothing. Switching to Console in
> blind didn't work either.
>
> The machine is still responsible (Sysrq, but also CapsLock), and
> killing the X process with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back a working
> X.
>
> I am quite sure that it *was* working in former time, but cannot
> pinpoint eaxactely when the problems started.
>
> If you need any further information or testing, please let me know.
> But it will take some time until I am back somewhere where I can
> ssh into my machine (or try if I can ssh into).

FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45
(Dell E4300).  I am running Ubuntu with xorg-edgers from a few months
ago:

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.6.5+git20091107+server-1.6-branch.2dbcb06a-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.11.0+git20100415.c374c94e-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic

There are several regression fixes pulled after 2.6.36-rc3 in merge
commit 4eab8a5717f5, can you try current linux-2.6.git ?

If it still fails, please post
 - lspci -vvv
 - /var/log/Xorg.0.log from after the failure
 - dmesg

-andy

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-10 18:47 ` Andy Isaacson
From: Andy Isaacson @ 2010-09-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 07:41:17AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> running: 2.6.36-rc3+ (from git) on Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) GM45
> (Sony Vaio Z11)
> Debian/unstable, so xserver 1.7.7, intel driver: 2.12.0
>
> since some recent kernel I have the following problem: When closing the
> lid on power, so the machine does not suspend, the backlight is properly
> turned off.
>
> But when I open the lid again the backlight goes on, but there is nothing
> to see: No screensaver, no activity, nothing. Switching to Console in
> blind didn't work either.
>
> The machine is still responsible (Sysrq, but also CapsLock), and
> killing the X process with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace gets me back a working
> X.
>
> I am quite sure that it *was* working in former time, but cannot
> pinpoint eaxactely when the problems started.
>
> If you need any further information or testing, please let me know.
> But it will take some time until I am back somewhere where I can
> ssh into my machine (or try if I can ssh into).

FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45
(Dell E4300).  I am running Ubuntu with xorg-edgers from a few months
ago:

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.6.5+git20091107+server-1.6-branch.2dbcb06a-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.11.0+git20100415.c374c94e-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic

There are several regression fixes pulled after 2.6.36-rc3 in merge
commit 4eab8a5717f5, can you try current linux-2.6.git ?

If it still fails, please post
 - lspci -vvv
 - /var/log/Xorg.0.log from after the failure
 - dmesg

-andy

http://p.sf.net/sfu/novell-sfdev2dev

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-10 23:44   ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2010-09-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: linux-kernel, dri-devel

On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45

I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.

In fact, suspend to ram works perfectly without any problems. I only
reboot after I installed a new kernel ...

I will try some older kernels and see if it is a kernel or userspace
issue.

Best wishes

Norbert
NEMPNETT THRUBWELL (n.)
The feeling experienced when driving off for the frist time on a brand
new motorbike.

From: Norbert Preining @ 2010-09-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45

I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.

In fact, suspend to ram works perfectly without any problems. I only
reboot after I installed a new kernel ...

I will try some older kernels and see if it is a kernel or userspace
issue.

Best wishes

Norbert
NEMPNETT THRUBWELL (n.)
The feeling experienced when driving off for the frist time on a brand
new motorbike.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

http://p.sf.net/sfu/novell-sfdev2dev

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-11  0:34     ` Andy Isaacson
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Andy Isaacson @ 2010-09-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: linux-kernel, dri-devel

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:44:48AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> > FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45
>
> I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.  My GM45 system is configured to
automatically S2R on lid close so I tend to conflate the two...

> In fact, suspend to ram works perfectly without any problems. I only
> reboot after I installed a new kernel ...
>
> I will try some older kernels and see if it is a kernel or userspace
> issue.

Do try the current tip and/or describe which post-rc3 kernel fails for
you, just to verify.  Also, is there anything in Xorg.0.log from when it
fails to restore the video?

Thanks for reporting the regression, it'll be good to get it fixed ASAP.

-andy

From: Andy Isaacson @ 2010-09-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Preining; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:44:48AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> > FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45
>
> I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.  My GM45 system is configured to
automatically S2R on lid close so I tend to conflate the two...

> In fact, suspend to ram works perfectly without any problems. I only
> reboot after I installed a new kernel ...
>
> I will try some older kernels and see if it is a kernel or userspace
> issue.

Do try the current tip and/or describe which post-rc3 kernel fails for
you, just to verify.  Also, is there anything in Xorg.0.log from when it
fails to restore the video?

Thanks for reporting the regression, it'll be good to get it fixed ASAP.

-andy

http://p.sf.net/sfu/novell-sfdev2dev

* Re: after closing the lid and reopening it the screen remains blank
@ 2010-09-11  0:46       ` Justin P. Mattock
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2010-09-11  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: Norbert Preining, linux-kernel, dri-devel

On 09/10/2010 05:34 PM, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:44:48AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
>>> FWIW, 2.6.36-rc3-00396-gbe6200a suspend-to-ram works for me on GM45
>>
>> I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.
>
> Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.  My GM45 system is configured to
> automatically S2R on lid close so I tend to conflate the two...
>
>> In fact, suspend to ram works perfectly without any problems. I only
>> reboot after I installed a new kernel ...
>>
>> I will try some older kernels and see if it is a kernel or userspace
>> issue.
>
> Do try the current tip and/or describe which post-rc3 kernel fails for
> you, just to verify.  Also, is there anything in Xorg.0.log from when it
> fails to restore the video?
>
> Thanks for reporting the regression, it'll be good to get it fixed ASAP.
>
> -andy

over here:
cat /etc/acpi/sleep.sh

if grep -q close /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
then
/usr/sbin/s2ram
fi

works reliably over here(knock on wood..)with radeon not sure
with intel cards..

Justin P. Mattock

From: Justin P. Mattock @ 2010-09-11  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: dri-devel, Norbert Preining, linux-kernel

@ 2010-09-11  0:47       ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2010-09-11  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: linux-kernel, dri-devel

Hi Andy,

On Fr, 10 Sep 2010, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> > I never said that it has anything to do with suspend to ram.
>
> Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.  My GM45 system is configured to
> automatically S2R on lid close so I tend to conflate the two...

Mine, too, but not when running on AC.

> Do try the current tip and/or describe which post-rc3 kernel fails for

current tip works fine. It seems that I was hit by one of the fixes
I found in the git log fixed after the build I did
(drm/i915: Prevent double dpms on, or drm/i915: Clear the vblank status
bit before polling for the next vblank)

> Thanks for reporting the regression, it'll be good to get it fixed ASAP.

Seems to be already fixed. Sorry for not testing the tip first.

Best wishes

Norbert
MOLESBY (n.)
The kind of family that drives to the seaside and then sits in the car
with all the windows closed, reading the Sunday Express and wearing
sidcups (q.v.)

From: Norbert Preining @ 2010-09-11  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Isaacson; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-kernel

Hi Andy,