* [ath9k-devel] Atheros 5008 and changing CRDA [solution]
@ 2010-09-14 10:26 cwr at netcom.co.uk
From: cwr at netcom.co.uk @ 2010-09-14 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Once you know the answer, the trick is easy; the ath9k driver(s)
must be modules, _not_ built into the kernel.  The 2.6.34 kernel
settings are:
   CONFIG_ATH9K_HW=m
   CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON=m
   CONFIG_ATH9K=m
Possibly some of these could in fact be built-in; I haven't broken the
problem down further.  The 2.6.32 kernel has only the last CONFIG,
which again must be a module.

With that change, the initial country map on boot (from the EEPROM)
is to regulatory domain 0x52, or CN, China, as before, but when
hostapd runs it follows the settings in hostapd.conf and sets the
country correctly to GB.  "iw get reg" then returns the GB domain,
but with COUNTRY=GB crda (1.1.1) still returns error -22.  Since I
don't need to cross a border with WiFi connected, that's not a
problem for me.

Thanks for all the help - I've got a much better idea, now, of how
it all fits together.

Will

* [ath9k-devel] Atheros 5008 and changing CRDA [solution]
@ 2010-09-14 17:40 ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2010-09-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

cwr at netcom.co.uk wrote:
> the ath9k driver(s) must be modules, _not_ built into the kernel.

That makes no sense at all. I think it's just another bug if it
doesn't work with built-in drivers.

//Peter