From: Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi>
To: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
Cc: "linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: RFC:  mac80211/ath9k:  allow scanning single channel if other VIF is associated.
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:31:33 -1000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:30:04PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I think for the multi-VIF scenario, it should scan the single associated
> channel by default, but it would be nice to allow full scans on demand.
> (I would very much like to work with standard wpa_supplicant, but if hacking it
> is the only way, then I can attempt that.)

"Standard wpa_supplicant" needs to become more aware of multiple users
of the same radio, so it is certainly fine to add changes there. For
example, a mechanism for noticing that interfaces are sharing a radio
would be useful. With that, it should also be possible to share the BSS
table and scan results (and requests!) within wpa_supplicant.

Sure, mac80211 could potentially do some of merging and reusing, too,
but as far as wpa_supplicant use cases (including hostapd and AP mode in
Wi-Fi P2P like use cases here) are concerned, mac80211 changes may not
be needed for handling the scanning part.