From: Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
To: Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi>
Cc: "linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: RFC:  mac80211/ath9k:  allow scanning single channel if other VIF is associated.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:30:04 -0700	[thread overview]

On 09/14/2010 08:03 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 04:14:05PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> This patch aims to decrease channel switching when there is at least one
>> interface associated.  This should help multiple station interfaces co-exist
>> on the same hardware, especially in WPA mode.
>
> If I understood the change correctly, it would prevent running full
> scans when in associated state. That does not sound reasonable behavior
> and scanning should not cause an association to be lost. Did I miss
> something or what exactly is this trying to do?

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do.  We had similar code in
our 2.6.31 kernel with ath5k. Imagine getting 50 virtual stations
started with WPA and all of them trying to scan all channels at once!
Most got timeouts, and one scanning would disrupt traffic on the others.
And, the hardware can only associate on a single channel anyway, so getting
scan results for other channels doesn't do a great deal of good.

With current ath9k, I see DMA timeouts and other nasty things (without
that patch applied) when trying to bring up two VIFs with WPA.

I think for the multi-VIF scenario, it should scan the single associated
channel by default, but it would be nice to allow full scans on demand.
(I would very much like to work with standard wpa_supplicant, but if hacking it
is the only way, then I can attempt that.)

> If you want to limit scans a single channel in some special use cases,
> you should be able to do that in user space, too, at least for the
> initial scan before connection. As a future optimization, we should
> somehow be able to merge scan requests from multiple VIFs into a single
> one, i.e., share the results from a single scan to multiple VIFs..

Merging would be nice.  Maybe store the results in the global hardware/phy
structs and just return that to user-space so long as it's relatively fresh?

> It would be easier to comment on the changes if you were to inline them
> instead of attaching the file..

Sorry about that..I'll inline it next time.  It will probably be white-space
damaged, but I can re-send any official patches using git.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>