* git-svn, git-submodule, and svn externals
@ 2010-09-17  5:28 Chris Frey
From: Chris Frey @ 2010-09-17  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm struggling to find a clean way to manage a SVN project in git.
This SVN project consists of a library, an app, and numerous plugins.
Each of these has its own svn repo.  Each repo has an external
with common build checks.

1) I'd like to find a way to track one svn project, including its
	external, and be able to dcommit to it without worrying about
	the submodule commit.

	Right now I have a git repo that tracks the svn external
	and a repo that tracks, for example, the library.
	I combine them with git-submodule, and therefore have a
	commit in the tree for the .gitmodule file and submodule
	directory.

	Each time I want to git svn dcommit, I create a new branch,
	rebase it onto master without the .gitmodule commit, and
	dcommit.  There's gotta be a better way.

2) Ideally, I would like to combine the library and all the modules
	in a single git repo that I can type 'make' at the root and
	build everything.  It would be nice if I could do development
	in this meta tree, and commit to each various separate repo.
	The commits eventually have to make their way back to their
	separate SVN repos.

3) I'd like to share my git repo, so that people who want to use git,
	can use git, and not have to futz about with tracking SVN.

What technology springs to mind when you read these requirements? :-)

Thanks in advance,
- Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-09-17  6:31 UTC | newest]