* git repository in production release
@ 2010-10-21 12:13 Jonas
From: Jonas @ 2010-10-21 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I am afraid this is a rather stupid question, but I have spent quite some time
to figure it out without any success.

I use git in my Ruby on Rails applications. On my deployment server
there is a git directory that I push to in the admin users directory.
When I run cap deploy Capistrano makes a new release and makes a new
directory under releases from the repository, I guess this is standard.

My releases are getting bigger and bigger, it takes longer and
longer time for the cap deploy command to
finish and the backups contain a huge number of files.

What puzzels me is that in every release  there is a .git directory.
As far as I can see it makes no use there,
just takes up much space. Is it supposed to be like this or have I made a mess?

How can I get rid of the .git directory in the deployment releases?

:-) j

* Re: git repository in production release
@ 2010-10-21 12:39 ` Drew Northup
From: Drew Northup @ 2010-10-21 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas; +Cc: git

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:13 +0000, Jonas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am afraid this is a rather stupid question, but I have spent quite some time
> to figure it out without any success.
>
> I use git in my Ruby on Rails applications. On my deployment server
> there is a git directory that I push to in the admin users directory.
> When I run cap deploy Capistrano makes a new release and makes a new
> directory under releases from the repository, I guess this is standard.
>
> My releases are getting bigger and bigger, it takes longer and
> longer time for the cap deploy command to
> finish and the backups contain a huge number of files.
>
> What puzzels me is that in every release  there is a .git directory.
> As far as I can see it makes no use there,
> just takes up much space. Is it supposed to be like this or have I made a mess?
>
> How can I get rid of the .git directory in the deployment releases?

Why is this a git problem and not a Capistrano problem?

--
-Drew Northup
"As opposed to vegetable or mineral error?"

* Re: git repository in production release
@ 2010-10-21 14:03   ` Jonas
From: Jonas @ 2010-10-21 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Because I suspect that the local .git directory in my rails application
folder should not be added to the
remote repository at all. But I might be wrong.

* Re: git repository in production release
@ 2010-10-21 19:07     ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-10-21 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

* Jonas <jonas@ibiz.se> wrote:
> Because I suspect that the local .git directory in my rails application
> folder should not be added to the
> remote repository at all. But I might be wrong.

Your repository (aka: the committed trees inside it) contain a .git
directory ? That's very strange, should not happen in normal git
operations (would cause some infinite recursion ;-o).

Seems that something's wrong w/ Capistrano - most likely not a
problem of git itself.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666