* How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28  0:08 Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2010-10-28  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.

I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols to be
more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the linux tree.

The code is in git at http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/

Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.

What still needs to be done to mainline this?
Who do I need to approach?

Regards

Charles

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 17:58 ` Corey Ashford
From: Corey Ashford @ 2010-10-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On 10/27/2010 05:08 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
>
> I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols to be
> more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the linux tree.
>
> The code is in git at http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/
>
> Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
>
> What still needs to be done to mainline this?
> Who do I need to approach?

I'd say you need to post a series of incremental patches which
introduces this filesystem, why the kernel should have it, why people
would want it, etc.

For lots more details, you should take a look at the files in
Documentation/development-process in the kernel source tree.

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
cjashfor@us.ibm.com

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-29 19:16             ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Charles Manning, Greg KH, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

RD> How big is the patch (in KB, not lines of code)?

Being the curious sort:

:; git clone --reference /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git git://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration.git
Cloning into linux-yaffs-integration...
remote: Counting objects: 55, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (51/51), 128.48 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1/1), done.
:; cd linux-yaffs-integration
:; git show | wc
  17094   64514  448590

(It looks like the repo has only the one commit not also in Linus' tree,
rather than a series of commits to add yaffs.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 18:40           ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-10-28 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: Greg KH, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

On 10/28/10 11:38, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2010 07:08:45 Greg KH wrote:

>>> We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand
>>> what is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).
>>>
>>> At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly
>>> against Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.
>>>
>>> I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
>>> yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.
>>>
>>> What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if
>>> there are still style issues etc that need changing.
>>>
>>> I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about
>>> processing 15k loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> Have you run it through sparse and scripts/checkpatch.pl?  If not,
>> please do so and resolve all of the issues that they bring up.
>>
>> Then break up the filesystem into reviewable patches and send them to
>> the linux-fsdevel list for review.
>>
>> Again, read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for the details on how to
>> properly do this, it is described in very good detail :)

>>> My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.
>>
>> The process is very well documented, have you read the documentation?
>> If so, what part is lacking?
>
> Thanks to all for the input. I'll be re-reading the docs and running the
> various scripts etc. That will probably keep me busy for a bit.
>
> The one thing I'm still blurry on is whether it is OK to send a whole fs of
> 15kloc as a single patch to all. SubmitPatch seems to be written from the
> perspective of writing smaller patches.I guess checkpatch.pl will tell
> me :-).

lkml has a single email limit of 400 KB IIRC.  netdev list is also large,
but fsdevel may not be quite that large.

@ 2010-10-28 18:38         ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2010-10-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

@ 2010-10-28 18:31           ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-10-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches; +Cc: Greg KH, Charles Manning, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

On 10/28/10 11:29, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 11:08 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:55:39AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
>>> I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
>>> loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.
>>
>> Not really.
>>
>> Have you run it through sparse and scripts/checkpatch.pl?  If not,
>> please do so and resolve all of the issues that they bring up.
>
> I wouldn't do that.  Checkpatch is useful but frequently wrong.
> By all means do use checkpatch, but please use your own taste to
> determine what you think needs fixing.

Absolutely.

--
~Randy

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 18:29         ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2010-10-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Charles Manning, Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

@ 2010-10-28 18:23         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-10-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Daney
  Cc: Charles Manning, Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell,
	linux-fsdevel

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:15:59AM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 10:49 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> >>Hi Randy
> >>
> >>Thanks for the response.
> >>
> >>At this stage I'm hoping for some high level feedback about code layout etc.
> >>and don't expect an immediate approval. I expect to do some further code
> >>cleansing before getting a green light.
> >>
> >>We're talking around 15k lines of code. Is a huge patch set the right way?
> >>  I thought it would be more polite to invite people to look at git, rather
> >>than filling everyone's inboxes.
> >
> >Have you read Documentation/SubmittingPatches and
> >Documentation/development_process/ which explains how to break up your
> >code and send it out for review properly?
> >
> >No one is going to look at a random git tree with 15k lines of code for
> >a review, sorry.  Would you?
> >

> The vast majority of the changes are just adding new files.  All
> Those can be found in:
>
> http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/tree/yaffs-integration/fs/yaffs2/

How can one easily write an email response to any code in a git tree?

> That said, one could imagine a scenario where a single patch was
> created that added the contents of that directory.  That patch could
> then be send to the relevant mailing lists as several people have
> pointed out.

Yes, that is what needs to be done, and is what happens for all other
kernel code, why would this be an exception?

> Certainly replying to a patch submission e-mail is much closer to
> the standard kernel development process than trying to comment on
> files in some random git tree.

Exactly.

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 18:15       ` David Daney
From: David Daney @ 2010-10-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, Charles Manning
  Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell, linux-fsdevel

On 10/28/2010 10:49 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:41:13AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

>>> It's difficult to review&  comment on a git tree.
>>> We prefer patches via email for review.

>>> Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
>>> tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
>>
>> Hi Randy
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> At this stage I'm hoping for some high level feedback about code layout etc.
>> and don't expect an immediate approval. I expect to do some further code
>> cleansing before getting a green light.
>>
>> We're talking around 15k lines of code. Is a huge patch set the right way?
>>   I thought it would be more polite to invite people to look at git, rather
>> than filling everyone's inboxes.
>
> Have you read Documentation/SubmittingPatches and
> Documentation/development_process/ which explains how to break up your
> code and send it out for review properly?
>
> No one is going to look at a random git tree with 15k lines of code for
> a review, sorry.  Would you?

The vast majority of the changes are just adding new files.  All Those
can be found in:

http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/tree/yaffs-integration/fs/yaffs2/

That said, one could imagine a scenario where a single patch was created
that added the contents of that directory.  That patch could then be
send to the relevant mailing lists as several people have pointed out.

Certainly replying to a patch submission e-mail is much closer to the
standard kernel development process than trying to comment on files in
some random git tree.

David Daney

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 18:08       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-10-28 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:55:39AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:

> > > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
> > > We prefer patches via email for review.

> > > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
> > > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
> >
> > I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
> > have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
> > merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?
>
> We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
> is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).
>
> At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
> Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.
>
> I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
> yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.
>
> What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
> still style issues etc that need changing.
>
> I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
> loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

Not really.

Have you run it through sparse and scripts/checkpatch.pl?  If not,
please do so and resolve all of the issues that they bring up.

Then break up the filesystem into reviewable patches and send them to
the linux-fsdevel list for review.

Again, read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for the details on how to
properly do this, it is described in very good detail :)

> > And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
> > get the code into the .38 kernel merge?
>
> My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.

The process is very well documented, have you read the documentation?
If so, what part is lacking?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 17:55     ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2010-10-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:26:41AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:55:02 +1300 Charles Manning wrote:
> > > YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
> > >
> > > I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols
> > > to be more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the
> > > linux tree.
> > >
> > > The code is in git at
> > > http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/
> >
> > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
> > We prefer patches via email for review.
> >
> > > Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
> > >
> > > What still needs to be done to mainline this?
> > > Who do I need to approach?
> >
> > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
> > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
>
> I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
> have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
> merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?

We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).

At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.

I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.

What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
still style issues etc that need changing.

I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

> And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
> get the code into the .38 kernel merge?

My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.
Knowing if I need to change anything else and whom to send what to,

Thanks. Your input is much appreciated.

@ 2010-10-28 17:49     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-10-28 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

@ 2010-10-28 17:44   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2010-10-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell

@ 2010-10-28 17:41   ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2010-10-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell, gregkh

On Friday 29 October 2010 06:26:41 Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:55:02 +1300 Charles Manning wrote:
> > YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
> >
> > I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols to
> > be more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the linux
> > tree.
> >
> > The code is in git at
> > http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/
>
> It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
> We prefer patches via email for review.
>
> > Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
> >
> > What still needs to be done to mainline this?
> > Who do I need to approach?
>
> Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
> tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.

Hi Randy

Thanks for the response.

At this stage I'm hoping for some high level feedback about code layout etc.
and don't expect an immediate approval. I expect to do some further code
cleansing before getting a green light.

We're talking around 15k lines of code. Is a huge patch set the right way?
 I thought it would be more polite to invite people to look at git, rather
than filling everyone's inboxes.

If you do think I should send a patch set then should I send it to lkml or
fsdevel?

Thanks

@ 2010-10-28 17:26 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-10-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Manning; +Cc: linux-kernel, Stephen Rothwell, gregkh

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:55:02 +1300 Charles Manning wrote:

> YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
>
> I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols to be
> more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the linux tree.
>
> The code is in git at http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/

It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
We prefer patches via email for review.

> Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
>
> What still needs to be done to mainline this?
> Who do I need to approach?

Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily tree
or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.

---
~Randy

* How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
@ 2010-10-28 15:55 Charles Manning