* 3T drives and RAID
@ 2010-10-30  3:36 Leslie Rhorer
From: Leslie Rhorer @ 2010-10-30  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

	WD has finally released a 3T drive employing 4K sectors and Advanced
Formatting.  I have some questions about Linux / RAID compatibility.  The
compatibility chart says using the drive with Linux requires employing the
included HBA.  Is the HBA really required if the system will
not be booting from the drive?  Why?  What is the minimum kernel version
required?  I am wanting to use these on a RAID6 array with no drive
partitioning underneath the array (raw disks) using md / mdadm.  I'm
using a pair of PM based eSATA RAID enclosures to house the drives, so
if I need to replace my adapters, the replacements will need to have
eSATA ports (at least 4 per card) compatible with PM enclosures, which the
included HBAs do not have.  I'm not sure if the little Sil3124 adapters I
currently have will fill the bill.  Performance is not a big issue.

	In addition, I am going to need to add capacity to my existing
arrays well before I have the money to replace them completely with 3T
drives.  I'm going to need six 3T drives per array to completely replace the
1T and 1.5T drives currently in use.  In the mean time, I could upgrade the
existing arrays with 1T and 1.5T drives, but that money would be more or
less wasted when the drives are replaced in a few months.  I would much
rather buy a couple of 3T drives and move them over to the new array when it
gets built.  Will there be an issue with attempting to add a 4K sector drive
to a RAID6 array built out of 512 byte sectors?