* application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-17 22:03 steven.lin
From: steven.lin @ 2010-11-17 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev; +Cc: Steven_Lin

My application needs a fast way to access a specific physical DDR memory
region. The application runs on an MPC8548 PowerPC which has an MMU. I've
tried two approaches that are typical for Linux, mmap() and using a kernel
module that implements read()/write() into this region and I'm finding that
performance is very slow for both. It's a couple orders of magnitude slower
than, for example, copying a large buffer from one place in the
application's virtual memory to another place in the application's virtual
memory.

Steve Lin

* Re: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 12:24 ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2010-11-18 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.lin; +Cc: Steven_Lin, linuxppc-dev

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 16:03 -0600, steven.lin@teradyne.com wrote:
> My application needs a fast way to access a specific physical DDR
> memory region. The application runs on an MPC8548 PowerPC which has an
> MMU. I've tried two approaches that are typical for Linux, mmap() and
> using a kernel module that implements read()/write() into this region
> and I'm finding that performance is very slow for both. It's a couple
> orders of magnitude slower than, for example, copying a large buffer
> from one place in the application's virtual memory to another place in
> the application's virtual memory.

The mmap() version should basically run at "full speed", at least once
you've faulted the address range in.

This specific DDR region isn't specifically slow is it ? :)

cheers

* RE: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 12:52   ` David Laight
From: David Laight @ 2010-11-18 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linuxppc-dev

=20
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 16:03 -0600, steven.lin@teradyne.com wrote:
> > My application needs a fast way to access a specific physical DDR
> > memory region. The application runs on an MPC8548 PowerPC which has
an
> > MMU. I've tried two approaches that are typical for Linux, mmap()
and
> > using a kernel module that implements read()/write() into this
region
> > and I'm finding that performance is very slow for both. It's a
couple
> > orders of magnitude slower than, for example, copying a large buffer
> > from one place in the application's virtual memory to another place
in
> > the application's virtual memory.
>=20
> The mmap() version should basically run at "full speed", at least once
> you've faulted the address range in.
>=20
> This specific DDR region isn't specifically slow is it ? :)

Or being mapped uncached ?

	David

* Re: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 12:54   ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2010-11-18 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Ellerman; +Cc: Steven_Lin, steven.lin, linuxppc-dev

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:24:22PM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 16:03 -0600, steven.lin@teradyne.com wrote:
> > My application needs a fast way to access a specific physical DDR
> > memory region. The application runs on an MPC8548 PowerPC which has an
> > MMU. I've tried two approaches that are typical for Linux, mmap() and
> > using a kernel module that implements read()/write() into this region
> > and I'm finding that performance is very slow for both. It's a couple
> > orders of magnitude slower than, for example, copying a large buffer
> > from one place in the application's virtual memory to another place in
> > the application's virtual memory.
>
> The mmap() version should basically run at "full speed", at least once
> you've faulted the address range in.
>
> This specific DDR region isn't specifically slow is it ? :)

The other theory that springs to mind is whatever method you're using
to access the region enabling cacheing?

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

* Re: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 16:55     ` steven.lin
From: steven.lin @ 2010-11-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson, Michael Ellerman; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Thanks for the replies.

In the Linux Device Drivers book regarding mmap(), it states:

   Mapping a device means associating a range of user-space addresses to
   device memory.
   Whenever the program reads or writes in the assigned address range, it
   is actually
   accessing the device. In the X server example, using mmap allows quick
   and easy
   access to the video card’s memory. For a performance-critical
   application like this,
   direct access makes a large difference.

For whatever reason, mmap() is definitely not quick and does not appear to
be a direct access to device memory. After the application completes a
large write into physical memory (via the pointer returned from mmap()),
the application performs an ioctl() to query whether the data actually
arrived into the memory region. It seems to take some time before the
associated kernel module actually "sees" the data in the physical memory
region.

There's a few things I should say about this memory region. There's a total
of 512 MB of physical memory. U-Boot passes "mem=256M" as a kernel
parameter to tell Linux to only directly manage the lower 256 MB. The
special region of physical memory that the application is trying to access
is the upper 256 MB of memory not directly managed by Linux. The mmap()
call from the application is:
   *memptr = (void *) mmap( NULL, size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED,
   _fdTerAlloc, (off_t) 0x10000000);

On the kernel module side, the function handling the mmap() file operation
is:
   static int ter_alloc_mmap( struct file *pFile, struct vm_area_struct
   *vma )
   {
       if (remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start, vma->vm_pgoff, vma->vm_end -
   vma->vm_start, vma->vm_page_prot))
           return -EAGAIN;

       vma->vm_ops = &ter_alloc_remap_vm_ops;
       ter_alloc_vma_open(vma);
       return 0;
   }

-Steve Lin

             David Gibson
             <david@gibson.dro
             pbear.id.au>                                               To
                                       Michael Ellerman
             11/18/2010 06:54          <michael@ellerman.id.au>
                                       steven.lin@teradyne.com,
                                       Steven_Lin@notes.teradyne.com,
                                       linuxppc-dev@lists.ozlabs.org
                                                                   Subject

--
David Gibson		 		 		 | I'll have my music
baroque, and my code
		 		 		 		 | _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson
[attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Steven Lin/USW/Teradyne]

[-- Attachment #2: graycol.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 105 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: pic02872.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 1255 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: ecblank.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 45 bytes --]

* Re: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 19:35       ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2010-11-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.lin; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, David Gibson

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:55:21 -0600
<steven.lin@teradyne.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>=20
> In the Linux Device Drivers book regarding mmap(), it states:
>=20
>    Mapping a device means associating a range of user-space addresses to
>    device memory.
>    Whenever the program reads or writes in the assigned address range, it
>    is actually
>    accessing the device. In the X server example, using mmap allows quick
>    and easy
>    access to the video card=E2=80=99s memory. For a performance-critical
>    application like this,
>    direct access makes a large difference.
>=20
> For whatever reason, mmap() is definitely not quick and does not appear to
> be a direct access to device memory. After the application completes a
> large write into physical memory (via the pointer returned from mmap()),
> the application performs an ioctl() to query whether the data actually
> arrived into the memory region. It seems to take some time before the
> associated kernel module actually "sees" the data in the physical memory
> region.
>=20
> There's a few things I should say about this memory region. There's a tot=
al
> of 512 MB of physical memory. U-Boot passes "mem=3D256M" as a kernel
> parameter to tell Linux to only directly manage the lower 256 MB. The
> special region of physical memory that the application is trying to access
> is the upper 256 MB of memory not directly managed by Linux. The mmap()
> call from the application is:
>    *memptr =3D (void *) mmap( NULL, size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHA=
RED,
>    _fdTerAlloc, (off_t) 0x10000000);

Try this patch:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/68246/

-Scott

* Re: application needs fast access to physical memory
@ 2010-11-18 20:46         ` steven.lin
From: steven.lin @ 2010-11-18 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Wood; +Cc: steven.lin, linuxppc-dev, David Gibson

Hello Scott,

Do you know whether this patch is necessary if I were to use alloc_bootmem
() (to set aside a region of contiguous physical memory) instead of the
kernel parameter "mem=256"?

-Steve Lin

             Scott Wood
             <scottwood@freesc
             ale.com>                                                   To
                                       <steven.lin@teradyne.com>
             11/18/2010 01:35                                           cc
             PM                        David Gibson
                                       <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au>,
                                       Michael Ellerman
                                       <michael@ellerman.id.au>,
                                       <linuxppc-dev@lists.ozlabs.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: application needs fast access
                                       to physical memory

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:55:21 -0600
<steven.lin@teradyne.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> In the Linux Device Drivers book regarding mmap(), it states:
>
>    Mapping a device means associating a range of user-space addresses to
>    device memory.
>    Whenever the program reads or writes in the assigned address range, it
>    is actually
>    accessing the device. In the X server example, using mmap allows quick
>    and easy
>    access to the video card’s memory. For a performance-critical
>    application like this,
>    direct access makes a large difference.
>
> For whatever reason, mmap() is definitely not quick and does not appear
> be a direct access to device memory. After the application completes a
> large write into physical memory (via the pointer returned from mmap()),
> the application performs an ioctl() to query whether the data actually
> arrived into the memory region. It seems to take some time before the
> associated kernel module actually "sees" the data in the physical memory
> region.
>
> There's a few things I should say about this memory region. There's a
total
> of 512 MB of physical memory. U-Boot passes "mem=256M" as a kernel
> parameter to tell Linux to only directly manage the lower 256 MB. The
> special region of physical memory that the application is trying to
access
> is the upper 256 MB of memory not directly managed by Linux. The mmap()
> call from the application is:
>    *memptr = (void *) mmap( NULL, size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
MAP_SHARED,
>    _fdTerAlloc, (off_t) 0x10000000);

Try this patch:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/68246/

-Scott

[-- Attachment #2: graycol.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 105 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: pic02222.gif --]

@ 2010-11-18 20:48           ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2010-11-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.lin; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, David Gibson

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:46:16 -0600
<steven.lin@teradyne.com> wrote:

> Hello Scott,
>
> Do you know whether this patch is necessary if I were to use alloc_bootmem
> () (to set aside a region of contiguous physical memory) instead of the
> kernel parameter "mem=256"?

It should not be needed in that case.

-Scott