* scripted kconfig replies?
@ 2010-11-22  4:46 Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-11-22  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kbuild

Hi,

I'd like to be able to write a script that handles 'make oldconfig'
queries for unknown kconfig symbols.  The script would take options
like:  set all tristate prompts to one of y/m/n, set all boolean prompts
to one of y/n.  (and just use defaults for numeric or string symbols)

This would allow me to automate some kernel configs.  I don't think
that kconfig itself is the right place for this feature.

Should this be doable?  Can anyone give me a pointer of what to use,
where to begin?

thanks,
---
~Randy

* Re: scripted kconfig replies?
@ 2010-12-03 13:32 ` Michal Marek
From: Michal Marek @ 2010-12-03 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kbuild

On 22.11.2010 05:46, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to be able to write a script that handles 'make oldconfig'
> queries for unknown kconfig symbols.  The script would take options
> like:  set all tristate prompts to one of y/m/n, set all boolean prompts
> to one of y/n.  (and just use defaults for numeric or string symbols)
>
> This would allow me to automate some kernel configs.  I don't think
> that kconfig itself is the right place for this feature.
>
> Should this be doable?  Can anyone give me a pointer of what to use,
> where to begin?

You can utilize KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG for this:
$ mv .config config-old
$ KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG make all<yes|mod|no|rand>config

The file pointed to by KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG lists options that you wish to
be set to a given value, see Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt.

Michal

* Re: scripted kconfig replies?
@ 2010-12-03 13:37   ` Michal Marek
From: Michal Marek @ 2010-12-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kbuild

On 3.12.2010 14:32, Michal Marek wrote:
> On 22.11.2010 05:46, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to write a script that handles 'make oldconfig'
>> queries for unknown kconfig symbols.  The script would take options
>> like:  set all tristate prompts to one of y/m/n, set all boolean prompts
>> to one of y/n.  (and just use defaults for numeric or string symbols)
>>
>> This would allow me to automate some kernel configs.  I don't think
>> that kconfig itself is the right place for this feature.
>>
>> Should this be doable?  Can anyone give me a pointer of what to use,
>> where to begin?
>
> You can utilize KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG for this:
> $ mv .config config-old
> $ KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG make all<yes|mod|no|rand>config

$ KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=config-old make all<yes|mod|no|rand>config

of course.

Michal