* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-03  5:39 Justin Mark
From: Justin Mark @ 2010-12-03  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Any plan to add DConf (http://live.gnome.org/dconf) in buildroot?

* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-03 10:35 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-12-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:39:01 -0800 (PST)
Justin Mark <oilehus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any plan to add DConf (http://live.gnome.org/dconf) in buildroot?

I am not aware of any effort to package DConf in Buildroot at the
moment. Looking at the configure.ac, the number of dependencies seems
to be limited, so adding this package shouldn't be very difficult.

I of course encourage you to submit a patch to add this package into
Buildroot. See
http://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot.html#autotools-tutorial for
details on how to add an autotools-based package.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-05  0:09   ` Justin Mark
From: Justin Mark @ 2010-12-05  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

OK, I will work on adding dconf into buildroot, but before doing that, I need to add libgee into buildroot first.

I can build libgee with buildroot in my workspace, how should I submit the patch for review? post the patch here or directly do it from git? Can someone give me some details since I don't know much about git?

thanks,
Justin

> I am not aware of any effort to package DConf in Buildroot
> at the
> moment. Looking at the configure.ac, the number of
> dependencies seems
> to be limited, so adding this package shouldn't be very
> difficult.
>
> I of course encourage you to submit a patch to add this
> package into
> Buildroot. See
> http://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot.html#autotools-tutorial
> for
> details on how to add an autotools-based package.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
> development, consulting, training and support.
> http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-05  0:38     ` Lionel Landwerlin
From: Lionel Landwerlin @ 2010-12-05  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

libgee ? :)

Isn't it requiring vala ?
Do you plan to add it too ? (I could like that)

Lionel Landwerlin

Le samedi 04 d?cembre 2010 ? 16:09 -0800, Justin Mark a ?crit :
> OK, I will work on adding dconf into buildroot, but before doing that, I need to add libgee into buildroot first.
>
> I can build libgee with buildroot in my workspace, how should I submit the patch for review? post the patch here or directly do it from git? Can someone give me some details since I don't know much about git?
>
> thanks,
> Justin

* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-05  0:50       ` Justin Mark
From: Justin Mark @ 2010-12-05  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

when I built libgee with buildroot, it didn't need vala, don't know why their webite said requiring vala.

> Do you plan to add it too ? (I could like that)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Lionel Landwerlin
>

> Le samedi 04 d?cembre 2010 ? 16:09 -0800, Justin Mark a
> ?crit :
> > OK, I will work on adding dconf into buildroot, but
> before doing that, I need to add libgee into buildroot
> first.
> >
> > I can build libgee with buildroot in my workspace, how
> should I submit the patch for review? post the patch here or
> directly do it from git? Can someone give me some details
> since I don't know much about git?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Justin???
> >
> > --- On Fri, 12/3/10, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Buildroot] DConf
> > > To: buildroot at busybox.net
> > > Date: Friday, December 3, 2010, 2:35 AM
> > > On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:39:01 -0800
> > > (PST)
> > > Justin Mark <oilehus@yahoo.com>

> > > I am not aware of any effort to package DConf in
> Buildroot
> > > at the
> > > moment. Looking at the configure.ac, the number
> of
> > > dependencies seems
> > > to be limited, so adding this package shouldn't
> be very
> > > difficult.
> > >
> > > I of course encourage you to submit a patch to
> add this
> > > package into
> > > Buildroot. See
> > > http://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot.html#autotools-tutorial
> > > for
> > > details on how to add an autotools-based
> package.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Thomas
> > > --
> > > Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> > > Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
> > > development, consulting, training and support.
> > > http://free-electrons.com
> > >

> >? ? ???

* [Buildroot] DConf
@ 2010-12-05  8:03         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-12-05  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 16:50:10 -0800 (PST)
Justin Mark <oilehus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> when I built libgee with buildroot, it didn't need vala, don't know
> why their webite said requiring vala.

I don't really know Vala, but at least Libgee is *written* in Vala, so
it means that you need a Vala compiler on your host in order to build
Libgee. As you can expect users to have a Vala compiler installed,
you'll have to add a vala compiler package into Buildroot, and make its
host variant a dependency of Libgee. If you have issues or don't know
how to do that, we can probably help you.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] How to contribute to Buildroot with Git
@ 2010-12-05  8:17     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-12-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 16:09:00 -0800 (PST)
Justin Mark <oilehus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can build libgee with buildroot in my workspace, how should I
> submit the patch for review? post the patch here or directly do it
> from git? Can someone give me some details since I don't know much
> about git?

The best is to use Git. Here is a simplified version of the Git workflow
that I use to work with Buildroot:

 1) Clone (to be done only once)

    git clone git://git.busybox.net/buildroot

 2) Configure Git (to be done only once)

    Then tell git who you are :

    git config --global user.name "Firstname Lastname"
    git config --global user.email firstname.lastname at somewhere.com

    And tell git how to send emails :

    git config --global sendemail.smtpserver mysmtpserver

    And to avoid chained reply :

    git config --global sendemail.chainreplyto false

 3) Create a branch to work on your topic (to be done for every
    separate topic you'd like to work with)

    git checkout -b mytopic

    Note that this also switches immediatly to the new 'mytopic'
    branch. You can run 'git branch' at any time to know on which
    branch you are.

 4) Make some modifications, for one particuler subtopic (like adding
    the vala compiler)

 5) Commit those modifications

    git commit -s -a

    And enter an appropriate commit log.

    If you created new files, add them with "git add".

    Then go back to step 4 for the other changes you want to do, or
    proceed to step 6 if you're done with your changes.

 6) Review your changes

    git log -p master..

 7) Prepare patches for your changes

    git format-patch HEAD

    This will generate a set of 000X-*.patch files in the Buildroot
    directory

 8) Send your patches to the list

    git send-email --to buildroot at uclibc.org --compose *.patch

And you're done.

If while reviewing your commits you find that you need to merge some of
them (because you did some mistakes that you fixed later and you don't
want the world to know about your mistakes), then you have to use the
rebasing feature of git:

    git rebase -i master

Git will open up a text editor with the list of your commits. You can
edit this file to change the order of the commits, or to change the
action taken on a particular commit (see the file itself for
documentation on those actions). A typical thing is :

    pick SOMEGITHASH package: add foobar
    pick SOMEGITHASH package: add barfoo
    pick SOMEGITHASH I did something wrong in add foobar, merge me

So obviously you want the last commit to be merged into the first one,
so that nobody knows you did some mistakes during your development. So,
turn those three lines into the following ones:

    pick SOMEGITHASH package: add foobar
    fixup SOMEGITHASH I did something wrong in add foobar, merge me
    pick SOMEGITHASH package: add barfoo

And exit the text editor. Git will reorganize your commits, and you'll
end up with just two commits.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have issues,

Thomas
--

@ 2010-12-05  8:23       ` Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2010-12-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

You should add that to the documentation, great post!

Paul.

@ 2010-12-05 14:26         ` Heiko Zuerker
From: Heiko Zuerker @ 2010-12-05 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Yes I agree, this would prevent a lot of questions and confusion.
You can throw it on the website almost as-is.

Thanks for the instructions!

--

Regards
   Heiko Zuerker

* [Buildroot] How to contribute to Buildroot with Git
@ 2010-12-05 14:41           ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-12-05 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 08:26:20 -0600
"Heiko Zuerker" <heiko@zuerker.org> wrote:

> Yes I agree, this would prevent a lot of questions and confusion.
> You can throw it on the website almost as-is.

On one hand, I'm a bit reluctant to have this in the Buildroot
documentation, as it has nothing specific to Buildroot, it's just
general Git usage.

On the other hand, it looks like a number of Buildroot potential
contributors don't really know how to start with Git to send patches
and contribute. So maybe we should add it to the doc.

Regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2010-12-05 14:54             ` Heiko Zuerker
From: Heiko Zuerker @ 2010-12-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hey,

I just started using git and had a bit of a hard time finding the right
information.
Yes the documentation is out there, but you have to piecemeal it together.

> On the other hand, it looks like a number of Buildroot potential
contributors
> don't really know how to start with Git to send patches and contribute. So
> maybe we should add it to the doc.

This would have saved me many hours of research.

You got my vote for it! ;-)

--

Regards
   Heiko Zuerker

* [Buildroot] How to contribute to Buildroot with Git
@ 2010-12-05 21:23             ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2010-12-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Thomas> Hello,
 Thomas> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 08:26:20 -0600
 Thomas> "Heiko Zuerker" <heiko@zuerker.org> wrote:

 >> Yes I agree, this would prevent a lot of questions and confusion.
 >> You can throw it on the website almost as-is.

 Thomas> On one hand, I'm a bit reluctant to have this in the Buildroot
 Thomas> documentation, as it has nothing specific to Buildroot, it's just
 Thomas> general Git usage.

 Thomas> On the other hand, it looks like a number of Buildroot potential
 Thomas> contributors don't really know how to start with Git to send patches
 Thomas> and contribute. So maybe we should add it to the doc.

Yeah, and it's pretty short, so I think we should add it.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard