* [Buildroot] Steps to add a new board
@ 2010-06-28 13:09 Phil Edworthy
From: Phil Edworthy @ 2010-06-28 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I've been using Buildroot for a Renesas SH4 device (SH7724) on a MS7724
development board, so first of all many thanks for all your work!

In order to get the board going, I've had to make a number of changes and
want to feed these back... However, there are a few things I'd like to iron
out.

Right now I'm using an external toolchain (CodeSourcery) as I had some
problems building the kernel using the BR generated toolchain. Would you
accept patches based on using an external toolchain? I guess this causes
problems for the board's defconfig.

Regarding the directory structure, I assume that I should populate
target/device/Renesas/MS7724 with the kernel & busybox configs and
device_table.txt. For the kernel, I'm using 2.6.33 with a few patches, so
under this dir I should have a kernel-patches dir for patches required and
these patches should start with linux-2.6.33-  is this correct?

I also use a post build script to fix securetty (the device needs ttySC0)
and also add an mdev script to /etc/init.d along with mdef.conf.

Atmel provides its own target skeleton, but I only need to fix securetty. Is
there a better way to do this? Since the need for ttySC0 means
target/generic/Config.in has to be fixed, surely it makes sense to fix the
generic securetty?

I notice that other boards only setup mdev via a replacement target
skeleton. Should I be doing this instead of a post build script? Is there a
way to apply a patch to the generic skeleton?

Thanks for any help,

Phil

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Steps to add a new board
@ 2010-07-06 13:29 ` Phil Edworthy
From: Phil Edworthy @ 2010-07-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions regarding my
questions?

@ 2010-07-19  3:22   ` Mitch Davis
From: Mitch Davis @ 2010-07-19  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Phil Edworthy
<Phil.Edworthy@renesas.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions regarding my
> questions?

Hi Phil,

There have been some recent discussions about buildroot and external
toolchains that may be helpful to you.  Please have a look at the
mailing list archive.

Hope this helps,

Mitch.

* [Buildroot] Steps to add a new board
@ 2010-12-07 19:44 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-12-07 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Phil,

Now that I have finally submitted my board-cleanup work, I can answer
your questions on how things should work starting from Buildroot
2011.02, or at least what I'm currently pushing.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:09:05 +0100
"Phil Edworthy" <Phil.Edworthy@renesas.com> wrote:

> I've been using Buildroot for a Renesas SH4 device (SH7724) on a
> MS7724 development board, so first of all many thanks for all your
> work!
>
> In order to get the board going, I've had to make a number of changes
> and want to feed these back... However, there are a few things I'd
> like to iron out.

Good idea, sorry for the huge delay for the answer :)

> Right now I'm using an external toolchain (CodeSourcery) as I had some
> problems building the kernel using the BR generated toolchain. Would
> you accept patches based on using an external toolchain? I guess this
> causes problems for the board's defconfig.

For me, it's just fine. I'm also pushing changes to make Buildroot
capable of downloading external toolchains (including the CodeSourcery
SuperH one), so if an external toolchain is your choice to support a
particular board, then I don't see why we wouldn't accept the board's
defconfig.

> Regarding the directory structure, I assume that I should populate
> target/device/Renesas/MS7724 with the kernel & busybox configs and
> device_table.txt. For the kernel, I'm using 2.6.33 with a few
> patches, so under this dir I should have a kernel-patches dir for
> patches required and these patches should start with linux-2.6.33-
> is this correct?

Not anymore. You should create a board/renesas/ms7724 directory, and
populate it with the kernel configuration. We generally prefer not to
add more Busybox configuration files, unless there is a real,
board/hardware-related reason to do so.

> I also use a post build script to fix securetty (the device needs
> ttySC0)

Maybe this could be added in a generic way, i.e in the main securetty
file.

> and also add an mdev script to /etc/init.d along with mdef.conf.

The boards-cleanup branch I'm pushing also carries some work from Yegor
that better integrates mdev (there's just a Buildroot option to
enable). However, it does not come with a mdev configuration file.

> Atmel provides its own target skeleton, but I only need to fix
> securetty. Is there a better way to do this? Since the need for
> ttySC0 means target/generic/Config.in has to be fixed, surely it
> makes sense to fix the generic securetty?

Yes, it does.

> I notice that other boards only setup mdev via a replacement target
> skeleton. Should I be doing this instead of a post build script? Is
> there a way to apply a patch to the generic skeleton?

I said above, there is now an option to select between static /dev,
dynamic /dev with devtmpfs, dynamic /dev with mdev or dynamic /dev with
udev.

All of those changes are still pending review and inclusion, though.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Steps to add a new board
@ 2010-12-08  8:05   ` Phil Edworthy
From: Phil Edworthy @ 2010-12-08  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

> Good idea, sorry for the huge delay for the answer :)
No problem, I noticed you were working in this area so I kept quiet.

> > I also use a post build script to fix securetty (the device needs
> > ttySC0)
>
> Maybe this could be added in a generic way, i.e in the main securetty
> file.
Yes, that makes sense.

> > and also add an mdev script to /etc/init.d along with mdef.conf.
>
> The boards-cleanup branch I'm pushing also carries some work from Yegor
> that better integrates mdev (there's just a Buildroot option to
> enable). However, it does not come with a mdev configuration file.
Ok, if I want BR to add this to my rootfs I will still need a post build
script.

> All of those changes are still pending review and inclusion, though.
Sure, I'll wait for these before sending any board patches.

Thanks
Phil