* new stuff for 2.6.38 needs to be posted _now_
@ 2010-12-20 19:30 John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2010-12-20 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

You may have noticed that Linus has released 2.6.37-rc6.  So, the
merge window is around the corner!

For those that need a reminder, the opening of the merge window is a
_deadline_ for new features.  Once the merge window opens, only fixes
will be accepted for 2.6.38.  In fact, any non-fix patches need to
already be in wireless-next-2.6 when the merge window opens if you want
them in 2.6.38.  That means you need to get them posted _now_, so they
can be reviewed and I can find time to merge them before the deadline.

You have been warned...this means you!

linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: new stuff for 2.6.38 needs to be posted _now_
@ 2010-12-20 21:22 ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2010-12-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless, David Miller

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> You may have noticed that Linus has released 2.6.37-rc6.  So, the
> merge window is around the corner!
>
> For those that need a reminder, the opening of the merge window is a
> _deadline_ for new features.  Once the merge window opens, only fixes
> will be accepted for 2.6.38.  In fact, any non-fix patches need to
> already be in wireless-next-2.6 when the merge window opens if you want
> them in 2.6.38.  That means you need to get them posted _now_, so they
> can be reviewed and I can find time to merge them before the deadline.
>
> You have been warned...this means you!
>
> --
> John W. Linville                Someday the world will need a hero, and you
> linville@tuxdriver.com                  might be all we have.  Be ready.

Is it possible to give an overview of the current status of
linux-wireless development going into 2.6.38?
New features, bigger bugfixes, new drivers, etc.?
For the drivers part you could trigger the driver maintainer(s)?
Also, it would be nice to read from user-space news like
wpa_supplicant, iw, crda & wireless-regdb, etc. related to the changes
to linux-wireless (for example you should install iw in version XYZ to
have support for new features of your driver ABC).
I have seen cool overviews from David Miller for net-2.6, regularly
also from rcX to rcX+1.
This is also some sort of documenting the development in your sub-trees.

Personally, I am very interested in power-management topic (my
hardware is ath5k and iwl3945 currently), but I am planning to upgrade
to 802.11N (router and wlan device).

- Sedat -