* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
@ 2010-12-18 17:01 Axel Neumann
From: Axel Neumann @ 2010-12-18 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hello mesh folks!

There is a new BMX website and mailing list at
http://www.bmx6.net

The new website wants to track development and usage activities of the
BMX mesh routing protocol.

Although the new site is still under construction, you'll find:

* Wikipages and links guiding you in understanding and using BMX

* git ropositories of the
     - currently stable bmx-0.3.x branch
     - new bmx6 development branch

* a new mailing list for BMX in general at:

* download section with latest snapshots

hoping to once see you there...
best regards
/axel

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
@ 2010-12-19  9:09 ` Sven Eckelmann
       [not found]   ` <201012201245.16891.neumann@cgws.de>
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2010-12-19  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 371 bytes --]

Does that mean that your svn directories and git repositories at open-mesh.org
can be dropped (at least it seems that no branch has common ancestors with
your branches)?

Best regards,
	Sven

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
       [not found]   ` <201012201245.16891.neumann@cgws.de>
@ 2010-12-20 12:17     ` Sven Eckelmann
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2010-12-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Neumann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1280 bytes --]

Axel Neumann wrote:
> > Does that mean that your svn directories and git repositories at
> > open-mesh.org can be dropped
>
> In the long term yes! But please not right now. I want to update links in
> other repositories like openWrt first and give users some time to update
> their checkout as well so that the build process does not fail. Lets say
> in February.

Ok, sounds good.

> > (at least it seems that no branch has common
> > ancestors with your branches)?
>
> For branches/bmx-0.3.x/ I used git-svn to create the git repository  which
> I expected to create common ancestors. Some confusion leaked in when I
> moved the directory from trunk/batman-experimental to branches/bmx-0.3.x
> (some deleted files like LIESMICH,.. were not deleted which I fixed with
> the last git commit).

The problem is that you (sry, no offence meant) did a quite bad job to convert
it. bmxd.git has these weird git-svn-id lines in the commit messages, "random"
commiter names+mails, missing parts of the history, dangling symlinks, ...

Please take a look at git://git.open-mesh.org/ecsv/test/bmx.git
I don't say that it is the holy grail of svn-to-git conversation, but I think
it could be a better conversation than your bmxd.git

Best regards,
	Sven

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
@ 2010-12-20 19:35       ` Axel Neumann
       [not found]       ` <201012201909.53042.neumann@cgws.de>
From: Axel Neumann @ 2010-12-20 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Montag 20 Dezember 2010, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
[...]
> The problem is that you (sry, no offence meant) did a quite bad job to
> convert it. bmxd.git has these weird git-svn-id lines in the commit
> messages, "random" commiter names+mails, missing parts of the history,
> dangling symlinks, ...
>
> Please take a look at git://git.open-mesh.org/ecsv/test/bmx.git
> I don't say that it is the holy grail of svn-to-git conversation, but I
> think it could be a better conversation than your bmxd.git

I am kind of git newbie. You are right and I see what you mean. Finally I
decided to simply fetch the bmx-0.3.x branch from the repository you mentioned
and offer it as a bare master branch at git://git.bmx6.net/bmxd.git .

Is there a one line command you used to create this? Essentially I used:
git svn init http://downloads.open-mesh.org/svn/batman/trunk/batman-
experimental/
to create my former repository but obviously this missed some initial commits,
full names,...:-(

Thanks anyway.

/axel

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
       [not found]       ` <201012201909.53042.neumann@cgws.de>
@ 2010-12-20 20:31         ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2010-12-20 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Neumann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1664 bytes --]

Axel Neumann wrote:
> On Montag 20 Dezember 2010, you wrote:
> > Please take a look at git://git.open-mesh.org/ecsv/test/bmx.git
> > I don't say that it is the holy grail of svn-to-git conversation, but I
> > think it could be a better conversation than your bmxd.git
>
> I am kind of git newbie. You are right and I see what you mean. Finally I
> decided to simply fetch the bmx-0.3.x branch from the repository you
> mentioned and offer it as a bare master branch at
> git://git.bmx6.net/bmxd.git .
>
> Is there a one line command you used to create this? Essentially I used:
> git svn init http://downloads.open-mesh.org/svn/batman/trunk/batman-
> experimental/
> to create my former repository but obviously this missed some initial
> commits, full names,...:-(

No, not really. I tried different things in the past, but none was really able
to create an useful export. For example the batman-adv repo was created using
following command:

$ git svn clone --minimize-url --follow-parent --use-log-author -A \
  /home/batman/batman-adv-sync/batman-svn-git-sync/.git/AUTHORS \
  --no-metadata http://downloads.open-mesh.org/svn/batman/trunk/batman-adv/

But your history is a little bit more complex. For example git-svn will not
resolve the symbolic links - but also svn-all-fast-export wasn't able to
export all those things correctly when I tried it. My solution was to write a
simple exporter with a static mapping [1] which was optimized for the needs of
open-mesh.org. It is a little bit hacky, but at least it solved all problems
quite well.

Best regards,
	Sven

[1] http://gitorious.org/git-conversation-svn

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
       [not found]       ` <201012201909.53042.neumann@cgws.de>
@ 2011-03-07 10:26       ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2011-03-07 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 535 bytes --]

On Monday 20 December 2010 13:17:51 Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> Axel Neumann wrote:
> > > Does that mean that your svn directories and git repositories at
> > > open-mesh.org can be dropped
> >
> > In the long term yes! But please not right now. I want to update links in
> > other repositories like openWrt first and give users some time to update
> > their checkout as well so that the build process does not fail. Lets say
> > in February.
>
> Ok, sounds good.

@Axel: what is the current status?

Kind regards,
	Sven

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] New BMX website at www.bmx6.net
@ 2011-03-15 23:14         ` Axel Neumann
From: Axel Neumann @ 2011-03-15 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Montag 07 März 2011, you wrote:

> > > In the long term yes! But please not right now. I want to update links
> > > in other repositories like openWrt first and give users some time to
> > > update their checkout as well so that the build process does not fail.
> > > Lets say in February.
> >
> > Ok, sounds good.
>
> @Axel: what is the current status?

you can remove it.
I changed links to repositories in openwrt packages by end of january. Thanks
for your patience and sorry for late reply.

/axel