* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-03-28 21:18 Alexander Holler
From: Alexander Holler @ 2010-03-28 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

may I ask if there is reason why merge commits don't have a summary?

I find those summaries (enabled with git config [--global] merge.summary
true) very hand to see what was changed with the merge commit.

Regards,

Alexander

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-03-29  9:32 ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-03-29  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alexander,

> may I ask if there is reason why merge commits don't have a summary?

Yes, you may.  Actually this is a good question.

> I find those summaries (enabled with git config [--global] merge.summary
> true) very hand to see what was changed with the merge commit.

I didn't even know about that feature, so thanks for poking us.
Checking the documentation, it seems like the name will change soon
however (man git-fmt-merge-msg):

       merge.summary
           Synonym to merge.log; this is deprecated and will be removed
           in the future.

But apart from that, I also like the feature.  Wolfgang, what do you
think?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Mit einem Leben wie dem meinen, Doktor - wer braucht da noch Traeume?
                                            - Alex Portnoy

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-03-29 10:44   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-03-29 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <m2mxxreamw.fsf@ohwell.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:

> > may I ask if there is reason why merge commits don't have a summary?
>
> Yes, you may.  Actually this is a good question.
>
> > I find those summaries (enabled with git config [--global] merge.summary
> > true) very hand to see what was changed with the merge commit.
>
> I didn't even know about that feature, so thanks for poking us.
> Checking the documentation, it seems like the name will change soon
> however (man git-fmt-merge-msg):
>
>        merge.summary
>            Synonym to merge.log; this is deprecated and will be removed
>            in the future.
>
> But apart from that, I also like the feature.  Wolfgang, what do you
> think?

I have no preference.

If there is an agreement (or at least no protests) we can add
'merge.log'.

Shall we?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Prof:        So the American government went to IBM to come up with a
             data encryption standard and they came up with ...
Student:     EBCDIC!

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-12-18 22:50   ` Alexander Holler
From: Alexander Holler @ 2010-12-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?

Regards,

Alexander

Am 29.03.2010 11:32, schrieb Detlev Zundel:
> Hi Alexander,
>
>> may I ask if there is reason why merge commits don't have a summary?
>
> Yes, you may.  Actually this is a good question.
>
>> I find those summaries (enabled with git config [--global] merge.summary
>> true) very hand to see what was changed with the merge commit.
>
> I didn't even know about that feature, so thanks for poking us.
> Checking the documentation, it seems like the name will change soon
> however (man git-fmt-merge-msg):
>
>         merge.summary
>             Synonym to merge.log; this is deprecated and will be removed
>             in the future.
>
> But apart from that, I also like the feature.  Wolfgang, what do you
> think?
>
> Cheers
>    Detlev

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-12-21 14:00     ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-12-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alexander,

> may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?

I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
don't like about this option?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
5.7: Practically speaking, what is the difference between arrays and pointers?
About the difference between alcohol and marijuana; they have different

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-12-21 14:36       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-12-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Detlev Zundel,

In message <m2sjxrxm38.fsf@ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> > may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?
>
> I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
> don't like about this option?

There is two things that make me hesitate:

1) I wonder if it might have negative side effects. If it was
   generally considered a good thing I would expect that it was set
   as default, but it ain't.

2) I don't know what exactly needs to be done.  My understandaning is
   that I can either switch this on globally for all repositories I'm
   working with (which I do not like), or it needs to be set manually
   in each and every clone of the U-Boot repo where a merge might be
   done.

   When I throw away a repo for some reason and start with a new clone,
   I can be pretty sure that I will forget to re-enable this.

   What needs to be done about custodian repos etc.?

In other words, it sounds like a thing that causes effort and can go
wrong nevertheless.

So I'd rather wait until either this option is used as defualt by some
new version of git, or at least until there is a broader request and
consensus among the custodians.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get
in, and those inside desperate to get out."               - Montaigne

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2010-12-21 15:24         ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-12-21 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang,

> Dear Detlev Zundel,
>
> In message <m2sjxrxm38.fsf@ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:
>>
>> > may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?
>>
>> I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
>> don't like about this option?
>
> There is two things that make me hesitate:
>
> 1) I wonder if it might have negative side effects. If it was
>    generally considered a good thing I would expect that it was set
>    as default, but it ain't.

Personally I cannot think of negative side effects.  Checking recent
linux commits, it seems Linus is using this himself[1] which would be a
pro argument I guess.

> 2) I don't know what exactly needs to be done.  My understandaning is
>    that I can either switch this on globally for all repositories I'm
>    working with (which I do not like), or it needs to be set manually
>    in each and every clone of the U-Boot repo where a merge might be
>    done.

As far as I can see, we should turn it on per repo so that (future)
custodians would get the setting through cloning.  Apart from that I
even don't see anything against turning it on globally.

>    When I throw away a repo for some reason and start with a new clone,
>    I can be pretty sure that I will forget to re-enable this.

Then we should enable it in "the master" repo from which you clone.

>    What needs to be done about custodian repos etc.?

As far as I understand it, we cannot change anything in already cloned
repositories, so every custodian would need to do this configuration.
On the other hand we can add this setting (yes, I volunteer) on our git
server for all repos, so future clones will get it.

> In other words, it sounds like a thing that causes effort and can go
> wrong nevertheless.

It will cause effort, yes, alas I don't see what can go wrong. It will
be a policy that we can never enforce for individual users, so there
remains a chance that individuals will do merges without the setting.

On the other hand, I guess what really counts is whether _you_ (doing
all practically relevant merges) use it or not.  So essentially it is a
question of whether you can add that in all of your repos.

In this thread you previously wrote:

> If there is an agreement (or at least no protests) we can add
> 'merge.log'.
>
> Shall we?

Have you become more pessimistic?

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=linux-2.6-denx.git;a=commit;h=8cad7f06e3b1d3f9a28bb7385e8fc09d5e1bf84c
--
#!/usr/bin/perl
$c="print\"\#\!\/usr\/bin\/perl\

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2011-01-09 16:25       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-01-09 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

In message <m2sjxrxm38.fsf@ohwell.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:

> > may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?
>
> I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
> don't like about this option?

Do you have any comments or pros or cons for/against this request?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How does a project get to be a year late?      ... One day at a time.

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2011-01-10  5:20         ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2011-01-10  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:25:52 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Detlev Zundel wrote:
> > > may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?
> >
> > I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
> > don't like about this option?
>
> Do you have any comments or pros or cons for/against this request?

this feature sounds like something end developers enable in their .git/config
(or ~/.gitconfig).  i dont think it's something that gets enabled in the
remote repos we push to.  which means it's up to Wolfgang for the most part to
enable it on his system since he is about the only guy doing the merges.

as for the actual request, it doesnt matter to me either way.  ive found the
output to be neither useful nor "blocking" in any way.
-mike
>> > may I ask again for opinions about enabling that feature?
>>
>> I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
>> don't like about this option?
>
> Do you have any comments or pros or cons for/against this request?

I'll repeat my answer given in this thread previously[1] for the benefit
of the now wider audience:

  Personally I cannot think of negative side effects.  Checking recent
  linux commits, it seems Linus is using this himself which would be a
  pro argument I guess.

Also as I wrote much earlier, the new format gives me additional
valuable information that is useful to me.  So I'm all for it.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/91279

--
To summarize:  It is a well known and lamented fact  that those people who
most want to  rule people are,  ipso facto, those  least suited  to do it.

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2011-01-12 18:13           ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2011-01-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang,

On Wednesday 12 January 2011 18:47:45 Detlev Zundel wrote:

> >> I also would like to see it.  Wolfgang, is there anything that you
> >> don't like about this option?
> >
> > Do you have any comments or pros or cons for/against this request?
>
> I'll repeat my answer given in this thread previously[1] for the benefit
> of the now wider audience:
>
>   Personally I cannot think of negative side effects.  Checking recent
>   linux commits, it seems Linus is using this himself which would be a
>   pro argument I guess.
>
> Also as I wrote much earlier, the new format gives me additional
> valuable information that is useful to me.  So I'm all for it.

Yes, I also think its a good idea. Lets give it a try.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] git merge summary
@ 2011-03-11  0:34             ` Alexander Holler
From: Alexander Holler @ 2011-03-11  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello all,

on that topic I've just seen a message from Linus which includes some
thoughts from him on that topic:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/3/10/538

In short "Now, I admit that it's a git usability bug ...".
Ok, he doesn't refer actually to a missing summary, but nevertheless I
found that message/thread informational.

Just to come up with that topic again. ;)

Regards,

Alexander Holler