* [dm-crypt] Auto Mounting when file accessed?
@ 2011-01-12  5:34 Roger
From: Roger @ 2011-01-12  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Is there a known method, when a user accesses a file/folder of an
unmounted dm-crypt partition, the action can spawn an attempt to automatically
mount this partition.

For the password prompt, as I constantly am working within a terminal and not
GUI desktop for obvious reasons, pinentry is commonly used for prompting in a
terminal or by GUI for a password when using GNUPG.

app-crypt/pinentry
http://gnupg.org/aegypten2/index.html

Any thoughts on this?  (Kernel DBUS/UDEV script or something?)

The type of current setup targeted is a file containing an encrypted EXT3
filesystem using dm-crypt, for which is mounted to /mnt/crypt.

This is usually left in an unmounted state until wanting access to something
within /mnt/crypt/somefile/orfolder.

ie. "vi /mnt/crypt/myfile or abook /mnt/crypt/addressbook --datafile
/home/roger/.abook/addressbook"

I'm thinking, something within the dbus/udev (kernel script) is needed.
Another thought, what if TAB Bash Completion is used?

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/

* Re: [dm-crypt] Auto Mounting when file accessed?
@ 2011-01-12 21:05 ` Ma Begaj
From: Ma Begaj @ 2011-01-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger; +Cc: dm-crypt

2011/1/12 Roger <rogerx.oss@gmail.com>:
> Is there a known method, when a user accesses a file/folder of an
> unmounted dm-crypt partition, the action can spawn an attempt to automatically
> mount this partition.
>
> For the password prompt, as I constantly am working within a terminal and not
> GUI desktop for obvious reasons, pinentry is commonly used for prompting in a
> terminal or by GUI for a password when using GNUPG.
>
> app-crypt/pinentry
> http://gnupg.org/aegypten2/index.html
>
> Any thoughts on this?  (Kernel DBUS/UDEV script or something?)
>

> The type of current setup targeted is a file containing an encrypted EXT3
> filesystem using dm-crypt, for which is mounted to /mnt/crypt.
>
> This is usually left in an unmounted state until wanting access to something
> within /mnt/crypt/somefile/orfolder.
>
> ie. "vi /mnt/crypt/myfile or abook /mnt/crypt/addressbook --datafile
> /home/roger/.abook/addressbook"
>

> I'm thinking, something within the dbus/udev (kernel script) is needed.
> Another thought, what if TAB Bash Completion is used?

inotify-tools could probably help you... something like this could
work, i think;

------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# watch for folders
inotifywait -m -r --format "%e %w%f" /mnt/crypt | while read event file; do

    # and mount if not mounted
    if ! df | grep /mnt/crypt >/dev/null ; then
        mount /mnt/crypt
    fi
done
------------------------------------

* Re: [dm-crypt] Auto Mounting when file accessed?
@ 2011-01-12 23:13 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2011-01-12 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 08:34:35PM -0900, Roger wrote:
[...]
> Another thought, what if TAB Bash Completion is used?

Bash hashes once and then does not search. This should
prevent unwanted mounts and still do wanted ones.

I also assume you are talking about mapping and mount,
not just mounting of already mapped (i.e. decrypted)
devices. The latter could be done with the standard
kernel automounter. But I think it has no hooks, so
something else would be neded here.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] Auto Mounting when file accessed?
@ 2011-01-13  0:57   ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2011-01-13  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ma Begaj; +Cc: dm-crypt

>On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:05:00PM +0100, Ma Begaj wrote:
>inotify-tools could probably help you... something like this could
>work, i think;
>
>------------------------------------
>#!/bin/sh
>
># watch for folders
>inotifywait -m -r --format "%e %w%f" /mnt/crypt | while read event file; do
>
>    # and mount if not mounted
>    if ! df | grep /mnt/crypt >/dev/null ; then
>        mount /mnt/crypt
>    fi
>done
>------------------------------------

I tried this and, instead of using "mount /mnt/crypt", I designated a script to run instead of using "mount
/mnt/crypt".

I kept getting a superblock/e2fsck error.

My script "mount-crypt" is nearly error proof as it utilizes losetup,
cryptsetup, and then calls e2fsck each time before mounting to /mnt/crypt.

mount-crypt always calls umount-crypt encase losetup is halfway started, and then
always calls e2fsck before mounting to /mnt/crypt.

The other issues are:
1) Using inotify requires to be in a script and needing to be started at startup.
2) It needs to embed password or app-crypt/pinentry
3) pinentry or asking for a passphrase is likely going to only occur on the
terminal inotify script is started from, vs for the terminal wanting access to
file or folder.  Think #3 is going to be the real issue because it's calling
mount-crypt from another terminal or it's own bash process.  I know the
pinentry gui prompt is likely not an issue though.

...anyways, I likely need to research everything here again and do some more
testing.  Technically, everything I'm doing in mount-crypt should likely be
done behind the scenes.

--

@ 2011-01-13  1:14   ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2011-01-13  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ma Begaj; +Cc: dm-crypt, Roger

>On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:05:00PM +0100, Ma Begaj wrote:
>
>inotify-tools could probably help you... something like this could
>work, i think;
>
>------------------------------------
>#!/bin/sh
>
># watch for folders
>inotifywait -m -r --format "%e %w%f" /mnt/crypt | while read event file; do
>
>    # and mount if not mounted
>    if ! df | grep /mnt/crypt >/dev/null ; then
>        mount /mnt/crypt
>    fi
>done
>------------------------------------

Oh, and one more big thing, a user can use:

vi /mnt/crypt/blah.txt, and vi will still open a file even though mounting has
been called for.  Same goes for any other command used on /mnt/crypt before
it's mounted.

And I think this is where dbus/udev would step in and hold or wait command and
mount before proceeding with the command on the filesystem.

--

@ 2011-01-13  8:22     ` Aaron Lewis
From: Aaron Lewis @ 2011-01-13  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

* Re: [dm-crypt] Auto Mounting when file accessed?
@ 2011-01-13  9:39       ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2011-01-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dm-crypt

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 04:22:17PM +0800, Aaron Lewis wrote:

>I didn't follow this thread , but if you just want an simple device
>auto-mounter and un-mounter , you should try out kernel auto mounter
>rather than a simple script.

I got an email also about using the kernel automounter.  Just haven't had the
time to test and follow-up on this.

I can only think that I'm still going to get hung-up somewhere between mount &
password or pinentry issue on demand.  But I have used automounter with CDRoms
in the past with good success.

--

@ 2011-01-13 10:00         ` Roger
From: Roger @ 2011-01-13 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:39:43AM -0900, Roger wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 04:22:17PM +0800, Aaron Lewis wrote:
>>
>>I didn't follow this thread , but if you just want an simple device
>>auto-mounter and un-mounter , you should try out kernel auto mounter
>>rather than a simple script.
>
>I got an email also about using the kernel automounter.  Just haven't had the
>time to test and follow-up on this.

Found something at the following link.  The only issue I now have is
working around not using a keyfile and trying to integrate into using something
like pinentry on CLI on demand.

Thanks for the help!

(Posted by ste (81.174.xx.xx) on Tue 19 Jun 2007 at 18:09)

---snip---
In order to avoid opening the hotplug box, I just hacked up this autofs script. It meets my needs so someone else may find it of use too. It will automount an encrypted block device at /dev/sdb using whatever name you choose. The key files with a corresponding name in /etc is used to decrypt the device.

I have a set of removable hard drives that are used for backup (RDX QuikStor). With the following configuration I can insert a cartridge and the backup software (Bacula) can just mount it, making the encryption transparent to it.

The mapping for the 'cd' key also appears in this script. That's there because I'm mounting this at /media and hijacking the original, static /etc/auto.media. In /etc/auto.master:

/media /etc/auto.media

In /etc/auto.media:

#!/bin/bash

# This is the path beneath this map's root that autofs is looking for
key="$1"

# A static mapping for the key 'cd'
# This is what /etc/auto.media used to do statically
if [ "$key" == "cd" ]; then
  echo -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev / :/dev/cdrom
  exit 0
fi

# The cryptsetup tool from the package of the same name
CRYPTSETUP=/sbin/cryptsetup

# This is the raw device that we will mount
mount_device=/dev/sdb

# This is the encryption key file
key_file=/etc/quikstor.key

# Options to pass to the cryptsetup tool
luks_opts="--key-file $key_file"

# Mount options for the encrypted fileystem
mount_opts="-fstype=xfs,defaults"

# The mapped block device
crypt_device=/dev/mapper/$key

# Give up if there is no key or setup tool
[ -r $key_file ] || exit 0
[ -x $CRYPTSETUP ] || exit 0

# If there is an encrypted device mapped in already, it must be from a
# previous mount. It may be out-of-date so remove it now.
[ -b $crypt_device ] && $CRYPTSETUP remove $key

# Give up if the raw device doesn't have a LUKS header
$CRYPTSETUP isLuks $mount_device || exit 0

# Open the encrypted block device
$CRYPTSETUP luksOpen $mount_device $key $luks_opts >& /dev/null || exit 1

# If we ended up with a block device, echo a mount line for autofs to use
if [ -b $crypt_device ]; then
  echo $mount_opts / $crypt_device
fi
---snip---

--

@ 2011-01-13 18:25           ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2011-01-13 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Ah, nice! So autofs can execute something on mount. Good
to know.

Arno

@ 2011-01-14  9:12           ` Ma Begaj
From: Ma Begaj @ 2011-01-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

2011/1/13 Roger <rogerx.oss@gmail.com>:
> [...]
> key_file=/etc/quikstor.key
>
> # Options to pass to the cryptsetup tool
> luks_opts="--key-file $key_file"
>
> # Mount options for the encrypted fileystem
> mount_opts="-fstype=xfs,defaults"
>
> # The mapped block device
> crypt_device=/dev/mapper/$key
>
> # Give up if there is no key or setup tool
> [ -r $key_file ] || exit 0
> [ -x $CRYPTSETUP ] || exit 0
>
> # If there is an encrypted device mapped in already, it must be from a
> # previous mount. It may be out-of-date so remove it now.
> [ -b $crypt_device ] && $CRYPTSETUP remotve $key
>
> # Give up if the raw device doesn't have a LUKS header
> $CRYPTSETUP isLuks $mount_device || exit 0
>
> # Open the encrypted block device
> $CRYPTSETUP luksOpen $mount_device $key $luks_opts >& /dev/null || exit 1
>
> # If we ended up with a block device, echo a mount line for autofs to use

great thanks. much better solution than my inotify script (which even
cannot work for your problem) ;-)