* Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-01-28 20:10 ` Luiz Capitulino
From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2011-01-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel
  Cc: kvm, libvir-list, Anthony Liguori, joro, avi, agraf, stefanha, veillard

Hi there,

GSoC 2011 has been announced[1]. As we were pretty successful last year,
I think we should participate again. I've already created a wiki page:

 http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011

We should now populate it with projects and people willing to be mentors
should say so (or just add a project)[2].

Also, I'd like to do something different this year, I'd like to invite
libvirt people to join. There are two ways of doing this:

 1. They join in the program as a regular mentoring organization, or

 2. They join with QEMU

The second option means that libvirt can suggest and run its own projects
(preferably with QEMU relevance), but from a GSoC perspective, the project
will be part of the QEMU org.

Thanks!

PS: Hope you don't mind the cross posting :)

 [1] http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/01/google-summer-of-code-announced-at-lca.html

 [2] Please, note that being a mentor means having time to dedicate to
     your student

* [Qemu-devel] Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-01-28 20:10 ` Luiz Capitulino
From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2011-01-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: kvm, libvir-list, stefanha, joro, agraf, avi

[...]

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-01-30 15:06   ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2011-01-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Capitulino
  Cc: qemu-devel, kvm, libvir-list, Anthony Liguori, joro, avi,
	stefanha, veillard

On 28.01.2011, at 21:10, Luiz Capitulino wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> GSoC 2011 has been announced[1]. As we were pretty successful last year,
> I think we should participate again. I've already created a wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011
>
> We should now populate it with projects and people willing to be mentors
> should say so (or just add a project)[2].
>
> Also, I'd like to do something different this year, I'd like to invite
> libvirt people to join. There are two ways of doing this:
>
> 1. They join in the program as a regular mentoring organization, or
>
> 2. They join with QEMU
>
> The second option means that libvirt can suggest and run its own projects
> (preferably with QEMU relevance), but from a GSoC perspective, the project
> will be part of the QEMU org.

Keep in mind that every full org gets a free trip to the west coast for 2 people ;). So splitting up means we could almost do a mini-summit at the google campus on google's expenses ;).

Please coordinate that with Carol. Apparently traction for GSOC is declining (according to last year's summit). So there might be plenty of available slots this year. So I'd say sign up separately for now and if you don't get accepted, just join forces with us!

Alex

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-01-30 15:06   ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2011-01-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Capitulino; +Cc: kvm, libvir-list, stefanha, joro, qemu-devel, avi

@ 2011-01-31 11:39     ` Luiz Capitulino
From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2011-01-31 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf
  Cc: qemu-devel, kvm, libvir-list, Anthony Liguori, joro, avi,
	stefanha, veillard

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:06:20 +0100
Alexander Graf <agraf@suse.de> wrote:

> On 28.01.2011, at 21:10, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > GSoC 2011 has been announced[1]. As we were pretty successful last year,
> > I think we should participate again. I've already created a wiki page:
> >
> > http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011
> >
> > We should now populate it with projects and people willing to be mentors
> > should say so (or just add a project)[2].
> >
> > Also, I'd like to do something different this year, I'd like to invite
> > libvirt people to join. There are two ways of doing this:
> >
> > 1. They join in the program as a regular mentoring organization, or
> >
> > 2. They join with QEMU
> >
> > The second option means that libvirt can suggest and run its own projects
> > (preferably with QEMU relevance), but from a GSoC perspective, the project
> > will be part of the QEMU org.
>
> Keep in mind that every full org gets a free trip to the west coast for 2 people ;). So splitting up means we could almost do a mini-summit at the google campus on google's expenses ;).

Actually, they have a limited budget and if you live too far (say, in Brazil),
the trip might not be 100% free :)

> Please coordinate that with Carol. Apparently traction for GSOC is declining (according to last year's summit). So there might be plenty of available slots this year. So I'd say sign up separately for now and if you don't get accepted, just join forces with us!

Yes, that's a good plan and I fully agree that we get more benefits if we
apply separately. It's a call to libvirt's people.

From: Luiz Capitulino @ 2011-01-31 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf; +Cc: kvm, libvir-list, stefanha, joro, qemu-devel, avi

@ 2011-03-09 17:52         ` Shawn Pearce
From: Shawn Pearce @ 2011-03-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 09:49, Jeff King <peff@peff.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 03:33:23PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
>
>> OK, there is now:
>>
>>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application
>>
>> which is mostly just an adapted version of last year's application.
>>
>> I'll give people a week or so to make changes, and then do the
>> application with Google probably next Wednesday or Thursday.
>
> Our application is officially in. However, we can still edit it until
> the deadline on Friday. If you have changes, feel free to make them on
> the wiki page but make sure to let me know, as I have to migrate them to
> the official application. I'll also probably do a once-over on Friday to
> check for any updates. If only the wiki was kept in git. :)
>
> Also, the application links to our ideas page. Please add ideas! It will
> give the GSoC people a sense of what we are thinking of for projects,
> and students will probably start looking at them after the list of
> accepted organizations is published (which is next Friday, the 18th).

The ideas page is very important. Git needs a good set of ideas on its
ideas page in order to be accepted. Google has stated this many times
in the past, its a key part of the decision making process (not the
only part, but an important part nonetheless).

We should have a good ideas page by the application deadline, so that
when Google goes to review applications, they can at least make a fair
assessment of our ideas list.

--
Shawn.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-09 17:49       ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2011-03-09 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 03:33:23PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:

> OK, there is now:
>
>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application
>
> which is mostly just an adapted version of last year's application.
>
> I'll give people a week or so to make changes, and then do the
> application with Google probably next Wednesday or Thursday.

Our application is officially in. However, we can still edit it until
the deadline on Friday. If you have changes, feel free to make them on
the wiki page but make sure to let me know, as I have to migrate them to
the official application. I'll also probably do a once-over on Friday to
check for any updates. If only the wiki was kept in git. :)

Also, the application links to our ideas page. Please add ideas! It will
give the GSoC people a sense of what we are thinking of for projects,
and students will probably start looking at them after the list of
accepted organizations is published (which is next Friday, the 18th).

-Peff

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-09 16:47         ` Shawn Pearce
From: Shawn Pearce @ 2011-03-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 08:39, Jeff King <peff@peff.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 03:33:23PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
>
>> > I would appreciate that, I'm too busy this year. :-(
>>
>> OK, there is now:
>>
>>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application
>>
>> which is mostly just an adapted version of last year's application.
>
> We need to list a backup admin. Can I volunteer you for that (or are
> there are volunteers)?

Sure, I can be the backup admin.

--
Shawn.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-09 16:39       ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2011-03-09 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

@ 2011-03-09 16:38         ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2011-03-09 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Narebski; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 01:25:16PM -0800, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > OK, there is now:
> >
> >   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application
>
> Quote:
>
>  "In 2010, we had three projects: native svn support, libgit2, and a
>   line level history browser.
>
>   All three projects were successful. [...]"
>
> What about 'integrated web client for git', aka. "Splitting gitweb and
> developing write functionalities" project wit Pavan Kumar Sankara
> (pkumar), which failed midterm evaluations?
>
> See https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2010Projects#Splitting_gitweb_and_developing_write_functionalities_.28Integrated_web_client_for_git.29

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that project and didn't find it
mentioned on the GSoC site (I guess because it failed). I couldn't find
any discussion of its failure, though. Is there more information
somewhere?

-Peff

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-09 15:18 ` Thomas Rast
From: Thomas Rast @ 2011-03-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi Shawn

Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

I can mentor (or co-mentor) again.

--
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-08 12:49       ` Sverre Rabbelier
From: Sverre Rabbelier @ 2011-03-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramkumar Ramachandra; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

Heya,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 13:33, Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, but I was hoping for an exciting new project idea- what do you
> think?

I don't know, having a working bidi git-remote-svn is pretty exciting
in itself :)

--
Cheers,

Sverre Rabbelier

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-08 12:33     ` Ramkumar Ramachandra
From: Ramkumar Ramachandra @ 2011-03-08 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sverre Rabbelier; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

Hi,

Sverre Rabbelier writes:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 23:08, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 22:04, Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Although I'm probably not experienced enough to independently mentor a
> >> project, I'd be more than happy to co-mentor, or step in if a mentor
> >> is suddenly unavailable. I should have a lot of time to give in
> >> summer.
> >
> > I'd also be willing to co-mentor.  Time might be a constraint, but I can
> > find time.
>
> Perhaps we can mentor a student to work on git-remote-svn with the
> three of us? :)

Sure, but I was hoping for an exciting new project idea- what do you
think?

-- Ram

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-07 20:50   ` Fredrik Gustafsson
From: Fredrik Gustafsson @ 2011-03-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiko Voigt; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 08:40:47PM +0100, Heiko Voigt wrote:
> I can offer to mentor a project either about submodule improvements or
> on gui stuff (git-gui or gitk). Since I am still not a native speaker of
> the full git code base co-mentoring would be an option for other
> projects.

That's sounds very interesting.

I'm using git with submodules a lot (daily in 5-10 different smaller
projects with 1-5 developers in each) and suffers from lacking submodule
support, specially in the gui-tools.

Being a student this is a part of git I would be very interested in
helping to improve.
--
Med vänliga hälsningar
Fredrik Gustafsson

tel: +46 (0)733-608274
e-post: iveqy@iveqy.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-07 19:40 ` Heiko Voigt
From: Heiko Voigt @ 2011-03-07 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:08:25AM -0800, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

I can offer to mentor a project either about submodule improvements or
on gui stuff (git-gui or gitk). Since I am still not a native speaker of
the full git code base co-mentoring would be an option for other
projects.

Cheers Heiko

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-07 12:15   ` Sverre Rabbelier
From: Sverre Rabbelier @ 2011-03-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramkumar Ramachandra; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

Heya,

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 23:08, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 22:04, Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although I'm probably not experienced enough to independently mentor a
>> project, I'd be more than happy to co-mentor, or step in if a mentor
>> is suddenly unavailable. I should have a lot of time to give in
>> summer.
>
> I'd also be willing to co-mentor.  Time might be a constraint, but I can
> find time.

Perhaps we can mentor a student to work on git-remote-svn with the
three of us? :)

--
Cheers,

Sverre Rabbelier

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-06 19:24 ` Sam Vilain
From: Sam Vilain @ 2011-03-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi Shawn,

On 04/03/11 07:08, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

This year I'm likely to be far too busy to mentor anyone or review
applications; however I expect to find time to deliver on my earlier
promise to revisit GitTorrent with a series of articles and how-to's on
the comp.git section of my blog.  I've made at least administrative
progress towards this goal; by setting up ikiwiki and arranging a
discrete comp.git section, so that readers can follow without getting my
other articles.

The introductory article is at
http://vilain.net/comp/git/gittorrent/past_synthesis.html and I hope to
be able to keep producing one article a week.  I would love following,
input, criticism etc from anyone who has been involved in the GitTorrent
project or its many spin-offs over the years.

Cheers and hope GSoC 2011 works out well for git!
Sam

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-05  4:05 ` Christian Couder
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Couder @ 2011-03-05  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Thursday 03 March 2011 19:08:25 Shawn Pearce wrote:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

I can co-mentor this year too.

Thanks,
Christian.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 22:38 ` Jens Lehmann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jens Lehmann @ 2011-03-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Am 03.03.2011 19:08, schrieb Shawn Pearce:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

I can offer to either be a co-mentor (being a fill in for a mentor
who is not available the whole time, like I did last year for Thomas)
or to mentor a student full time when (s)he is working on submodules.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 22:08   ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2011-03-03 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramkumar Ramachandra; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

Hi,

Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:

> Although I'm probably not experienced enough to independently mentor a
> project, I'd be more than happy to co-mentor, or step in if a mentor
> is suddenly unavailable. I should have a lot of time to give in
> summer.

I'd also be willing to co-mentor.  Time might be a constraint, but I can
find time.

Jonathan

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 21:25       ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2011-03-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Shawn Pearce, git

Jeff King <peff@peff.net> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:04:51AM -0800, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
> > > I'd be happy to. I can also act as org admin this year if you want. I
> > > bowed out last year due to impending baby, but have no such excuse this
> > > year. :)
> >
> > I would appreciate that, I'm too busy this year. :-(
>
> OK, there is now:
>
>   https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application

Quote:

 "In 2010, we had three projects: native svn support, libgit2, and a
  line level history browser.

  All three projects were successful. [...]"

What about 'integrated web client for git', aka. "Splitting gitweb and
developing write functionalities" project wit Pavan Kumar Sankara
(pkumar), which failed midterm evaluations?

See https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2010Projects#Splitting_gitweb_and_developing_write_functionalities_.28Integrated_web_client_for_git.29

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 21:04 ` Ramkumar Ramachandra
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ramkumar Ramachandra @ 2011-03-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi,

Shawn Pearce writes:
> Anyone want to mentor this year?

Although I'm probably not experienced enough to independently mentor a
project, I'd be more than happy to co-mentor, or step in if a mentor
is suddenly unavailable. I should have a lot of time to give in
summer.

-- Ram

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 20:33     ` Jeff King
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff King @ 2011-03-03 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:04:51AM -0800, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> > I'd be happy to. I can also act as org admin this year if you want. I
> > bowed out last year due to impending baby, but have no such excuse this
> > year. :)
>
> I would appreciate that, I'm too busy this year. :-(

OK, there is now:

  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Application

which is mostly just an adapted version of last year's application.

I'll give people a week or so to make changes, and then do the
application with Google probably next Wednesday or Thursday.

> > Should we also start a call for project suggestions? I haven't been
> > paying attention to the GSoC timeline.
>
> Org application deadline is March 11: 23:00 UTC

Looks like accepted projects are announced on the 18th, and then we
should be talking to students about it. So we should probably have a
relatively complete list of ideas by the 18th. I set up a bare-bones
idea page here if people want to start adding ideas:

  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Ideas

-Peff

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 19:04   ` Shawn Pearce
From: Shawn Pearce @ 2011-03-03 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:59, Jeff King <peff@peff.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:08:25AM -0800, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
>> Anyone want to mentor this year?
>
> I'd be happy to. I can also act as org admin this year if you want. I
> bowed out last year due to impending baby, but have no such excuse this
> year. :)

I would appreciate that, I'm too busy this year. :-(

> Should we also start a call for project suggestions? I haven't been
> paying attention to the GSoC timeline.

Org application deadline is March 11: 23:00 UTC

--
Shawn.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 18:59 ` Jeff King
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff King @ 2011-03-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Pearce; +Cc: git

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:08:25AM -0800, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Anyone want to mentor this year?

I'd be happy to. I can also act as org admin this year if you want. I
bowed out last year due to impending baby, but have no such excuse this
year. :)

Should we also start a call for project suggestions? I haven't been
paying attention to the GSoC timeline.

-Peff

* Google Summer of Code 2011
@ 2011-03-03 18:08 Shawn Pearce