* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-29  6:00 crocket
From: crocket @ 2011-01-29  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Last time I bought wireless LAN cards, I bought RT3062.
But opensource rt2x00 was and is completely experimental, and the
linux driver from www.ralinktech.com doesn't support AP mode.
I learn a lesson: Linux driver support sucks, so make sure the linux
driver supports the functions I need before buying anything.

I want to build a linux wireless AP and router with WPA2PSK operating
at 300Mbps or 450Mbps.

Since the server will adopt an ATX/microATX motherboard, the form
factors of wireless LAN card should be PCI/PCIe.

Does anybody have recommendations regarding chipsets or wireless LAN
cards available?

* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-29  9:05 ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-01-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM, crocket <crockabiscuit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last time I bought wireless LAN cards, I bought RT3062.
> But opensource rt2x00 was and is completely experimental, and the
> linux driver from www.ralinktech.com doesn't support AP mode.
> I learn a lesson: Linux driver support sucks, so make sure the linux
> driver supports the functions I need before buying anything.
>
> I want to build a linux wireless AP and router with WPA2PSK operating
> at 300Mbps or 450Mbps.
>
> Since the server will adopt an ATX/microATX motherboard, the form
> factors of wireless LAN card should be PCI/PCIe.
>
> Does anybody have recommendations regarding chipsets or wireless LAN
> cards available?

Please look at:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers

* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-29  9:15   ` crocket
From: crocket @ 2011-01-29  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k says
"Features and modes of operation
All of these modes of operation are supported and should work on all
ath9k cards.
Modes of operation

* Station Mode
* AP Mode
* IBSS Mode
* Monitor Mode
* Mesh point
* WDS (as of >= 2.6.37) ".

But I'm not naive enough to believe it without confirmation from other sources.

@ 2011-01-29  9:26     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-01-29  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM, crocket <crockabiscuit@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k says
> "Features and modes of operation
> All of these modes of operation are supported and should work on all
> ath9k cards.
> Modes of operation
>
> * Station Mode
> * AP Mode
> * IBSS Mode
> * Monitor Mode
> * Mesh point
> * WDS (as of >= 2.6.37) ".
>
> But I'm not naive enough to believe it without confirmation from other sources.

Would pope blessings be OK?

 Luis

* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-29  9:35       ` Mihai Moldovan
From: Mihai Moldovan @ 2011-01-29  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

* On 29.01.2011 10:26 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM, crocket<crockabiscuit@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> But I'm not naive enough to believe it without confirmation from other sources.
>
> Would pope blessings be OK?

He's not entirely wrong.

Take my two cards, for example. Neither my AR5008 PCI, nor my AR5008
PCIe card are really working in AP mode. Sure, they can be set to AP
mode and hostapd starts, too. You can even transmit stuff, but after at
most 5 minutes, both cards will "lock up" or something like this. Every
client gets disassociated and no reconnect is possible anymore.

So, while AP mode is supported with that chipset, it doesn't work that
well (or for those restrictions, at all.)

I think it's legit for him to ask, or put otherwise: ask for some
definitely known as working and stable chipsets/cards.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Mihai

* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-29  9:52       ` Sujith
From: Sujith @ 2011-01-29  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM, crocket <crockabiscuit@gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k says
> > "Features and modes of operation
> > All of these modes of operation are supported and should work on all
> > ath9k cards.
> > Modes of operation
> >
> > * Station Mode
> > * AP Mode
> > * IBSS Mode
> > * Monitor Mode
> > * Mesh point
> > * WDS (as of >= 2.6.37) ".
> >
> > But I'm not naive enough to believe it without confirmation from other sources.
>
> Would pope blessings be OK?

Does the pope shit in the woods ?

Sujith

* [ath9k-devel] What chipsets does ath9k support AP mode for?
@ 2011-01-31 19:19         ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-01-31 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 01:52:49AM -0800, Sujith wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:15 AM, crocket <crockabiscuit@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k says
> > > "Features and modes of operation
> > > All of these modes of operation are supported and should work on all
> > > ath9k cards.
> > > Modes of operation
> > >
> > > * Station Mode
> > > * AP Mode
> > > * IBSS Mode
> > > * Monitor Mode
> > > * Mesh point
> > > * WDS (as of >= 2.6.37) ".
> > >
> > > But I'm not naive enough to believe it without confirmation from other sources.
> >
> > Would pope blessings be OK?
>
> Does the pope shit in the woods ?

Lets not rule this out.

  Luis