* latest clutter-recipe
@ 2011-02-01 19:02 Andreas Mueller
From: Andreas Mueller @ 2011-02-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi

it surprised me to see that Koen committed a new recipe for clutter 1.4.2. As you might know I was also working on this and sent some pre-release version here of this (1). What makes me not running in happy mode:

- Many of my previous patches were rejected first because of some commit message. Here we read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' - cool. Which tests were performed?

- the recipe breaks clutter-gst:
| checking for CLUTTER_GST... configure: error: Package requirements (clutter-1.0 < 1.3.0 gio-2.0) were not met:
|
| Requested 'clutter-1.0 < 1.3.0' but version of Clutter is 1.4.2
I prepared clutter-gst 1.3.4 but I am tired preparing commit messages..

- the recipe breaks clutter-gtk :
| NOTE: make -j 4
| make  all-recursive
| make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8'
| Making all in build
| make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build'
| Making all in autotools
| make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build/autotools'
| make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
| make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build/autotools'
| make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build'
| make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
| make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build'
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/build'
| Making all in clutter-gtk
| make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Superandi/tmp/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/clutter-gtk-0.10.8-r2.0/clutter-gtk-0.10.8/clutter-gtk'
|   CC     libclutter_gtk_0.10_la-gtk-clutter-embed.lo
|   CC     libclutter_gtk_0.10_la-gtk-clutter-scrollable.lo
|   CC     libclutter_gtk_0.10_la-gtk-clutter-viewport.lo
|   CC     libclutter_gtk_0.10_la-gtk-clutter-util.lo
|   CC     libclutter_gtk_0.10_la-gtk-clutter-zoomable.lo
|   CCLD   libclutter-gtk-0.10.la
| /home/Superandi/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/armv7a/lib/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lclutter-egl-1.0
Let's hope gtk_0.12 will help...

- What exactly is the goal of 'test-conformance-fix.patch' (to get the build working there less cluttering solutions are possible e.g.  sed'ing out BUILIT_SOURCES in Makefile.am)? From my point of view it creates a lot of unusable scripts in the sub folder 'wrapper' and the file 'unit-tests'. Nothing created by this is packed.

Please don't tell me I am invited to change this situation:  Many patches send by non-commit guys are nit-picked at least for commit message - and then I read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' for a recipe breaking lots of others.

Sorry for this, but to me the this should have been a hobby for having fun - but at the moment it's far from

Andreas

(1) http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-January/029260.html

* Re: latest clutter-recipe
@ 2011-02-02 14:44 ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2011-02-02 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Koen Kooi

Hello Andreas,

I can't answer your technical questions regarding the recipe, because
I'm not using a clutter/gtk/x11 based distro. I'd like to comment the
rest of your mail, though.

On 02/01/2011 08:02 PM, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> it surprised me to see that Koen committed a new recipe for clutter 1.4.2. As you might know I was also working on this and sent some pre-release version here of this (1). What makes me not running in happy mode:
>
> - Many of my previous patches were rejected first because of some commit message. Here we read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' - cool. Which tests were performed?

In general, contrary to patches which modify existing files, I think
that patches adding new recipes don't need a detailed commit message.
Still, a message should describe the content of a commit in a suitable
and understandable way. In my opinion, "<name>: add <version>"
sufficiently describes any new recipe, unless there's anything special
about it.

In this case, I would have preferred glib-gettextize getting mentioned,
which was added to clutter.inc.

> Please don't tell me I am invited to change this situation:  Many patches send by non-commit guys are nit-picked at least for commit message - and then I read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' for a recipe breaking lots of others.

Well, shit happens, unfortunately. Hopefully it was tested and worked in
a different environment. Bug reports like this are needed to make it
work for as many environments as possible. I've added Koen to CC to
decrease the chance that your bug report gets lost without Koen
noticing. I think he didn't mean to offend you in any way with his commit.

Nit-picking happens frequently, and personally I prefer getting negative
feedback over no feedback at all. Usually it's not very hard to address
the complaints, although it can be very frustrating to get only a short
comment on something you've put a lot of time into. My guess is that
this has occurred at least once to everybody who contributed to open
source projects.

> Sorry for this, but to me the this should have been a hobby for having fun - but at the moment it's far from

So let's try to regain some fun after this problem gets solved! You
shouldn't take it personally.

> Andreas
>
> (1) http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-January/029260.html

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: latest clutter-recipe
@ 2011-02-02 14:57   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-02-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oberritter; +Cc: Koen Kooi, openembedded-devel

I checked patchwork first and that didn't show any clutter patches. I'll add the gtk and gst ones after fosdem

Op 2 feb. 2011 om 15:44 heeft Andreas Oberritter <obi@opendreambox.org> het volgende geschreven:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> I can't answer your technical questions regarding the recipe, because
> I'm not using a clutter/gtk/x11 based distro. I'd like to comment the
> rest of your mail, though.
>
> On 02/01/2011 08:02 PM, Andreas Mueller wrote:
>> it surprised me to see that Koen committed a new recipe for clutter 1.4.2. As you might know I was also working on this and sent some pre-release version here of this (1). What makes me not running in happy mode:
>>
>> - Many of my previous patches were rejected first because of some commit message. Here we read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' - cool. Which tests were performed?
>
> In general, contrary to patches which modify existing files, I think
> that patches adding new recipes don't need a detailed commit message.
> Still, a message should describe the content of a commit in a suitable
> and understandable way. In my opinion, "<name>: add <version>"
> sufficiently describes any new recipe, unless there's anything special
> about it.
>
> In this case, I would have preferred glib-gettextize getting mentioned,
> which was added to clutter.inc.
>
>> Please don't tell me I am invited to change this situation:  Many patches send by non-commit guys are nit-picked at least for commit message - and then I read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' for a recipe breaking lots of others.
>
> Well, shit happens, unfortunately. Hopefully it was tested and worked in
> a different environment. Bug reports like this are needed to make it
> work for as many environments as possible. I've added Koen to CC to
> decrease the chance that your bug report gets lost without Koen
> noticing. I think he didn't mean to offend you in any way with his commit.
>
> Nit-picking happens frequently, and personally I prefer getting negative
> feedback over no feedback at all. Usually it's not very hard to address
> the complaints, although it can be very frustrating to get only a short
> comment on something you've put a lot of time into. My guess is that
> this has occurred at least once to everybody who contributed to open
> source projects.
>
>> Sorry for this, but to me the this should have been a hobby for having fun - but at the moment it's far from
>
> So let's try to regain some fun after this problem gets solved! You
> shouldn't take it personally.
>
>> Andreas
>>
>> (1) http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-January/029260.html
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

* Re: latest clutter-recipe
@ 2011-02-02 23:21     ` Andreas Mueller
From: Andreas Mueller @ 2011-02-02 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wednesday 02 February 2011 15:57:33 Koen Kooi wrote:
> I checked patchwork first and that didn't show any clutter patches. I'll add the gtk and gst ones after fosdem
>
> Op 2 feb. 2011 om 15:44 heeft Andreas Oberritter <obi@opendreambox.org> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > I can't answer your technical questions regarding the recipe, because
> > I'm not using a clutter/gtk/x11 based distro. I'd like to comment the
> > rest of your mail, though.
> >
> > On 02/01/2011 08:02 PM, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> >> it surprised me to see that Koen committed a new recipe for clutter 1.4.2. As you might know I was also working on this and sent some pre-release version here of this (1). What makes me not running in happy mode:
> >>
> >> - Many of my previous patches were rejected first because of some commit message. Here we read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' - cool. Which tests were performed?
> >
> > In general, contrary to patches which modify existing files, I think
> > that patches adding new recipes don't need a detailed commit message.
> > Still, a message should describe the content of a commit in a suitable
> > and understandable way. In my opinion, "<name>: add <version>"
> > sufficiently describes any new recipe, unless there's anything special
> > about it.
> >
> > In this case, I would have preferred glib-gettextize getting mentioned,
> > which was added to clutter.inc.
> >
> >> Please don't tell me I am invited to change this situation:  Many patches send by non-commit guys are nit-picked at least for commit message - and then I read 'clutter: add 1.4.2' for a recipe breaking lots of others.
> >
> > Well, shit happens, unfortunately. Hopefully it was tested and worked in
> > a different environment. Bug reports like this are needed to make it
> > work for as many environments as possible. I've added Koen to CC to
> > decrease the chance that your bug report gets lost without Koen
> > noticing. I think he didn't mean to offend you in any way with his commit.
> >
> > Nit-picking happens frequently, and personally I prefer getting negative
> > feedback over no feedback at all. Usually it's not very hard to address
> > the complaints, although it can be very frustrating to get only a short
> > comment on something you've put a lot of time into. My guess is that
> > this has occurred at least once to everybody who contributed to open
> > source projects.
> >
> >> Sorry for this, but to me the this should have been a hobby for having fun - but at the moment it's far from
> >
> > So let's try to regain some fun after this problem gets solved! You
> > shouldn't take it personally.
I am afraid exactly this was my problem :-(

> >> Andreas
> >>
> >> (1) http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-January/029260.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas

1. Thanks for response
2. I saw nights of efforts for good. This caused a short circuit  - sorry
3. let's forget and have fun again :-))
4. I will send a patch for clutter-gst.
5. clutter-gtk seems tricky...

Andreas