* sparc32 linux SMP
@ 2011-02-04 13:39 Daniel Hellstrom
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Daniel Hellstrom @ 2011-02-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

Hello all,

I just want to report that we have been able to run the SPEC2000 integer
tests successfully on Linux SMP 2.6.38-rc1. After 2-3 days of running
the tests (users=2) on a dual core LEON@70MHz on Debian Etch, the
results were correct. Two months ago I was able to run for 1-2 minutes
before the system crashed in different ways or hanged.

Thanks all,
Daniel

* Re: sparc32 linux SMP
@ 2011-02-04 21:00 ` David Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Miller @ 2011-02-04 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

From: Daniel Hellstrom <daniel@gaisler.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:39:31 +0100

> I just want to report that we have been able to run the SPEC2000
> integer tests successfully on Linux SMP 2.6.38-rc1. After 2-3 days of
> running the tests (users=2) on a dual core LEON@70MHz on Debian Etch,
> the results were correct. Two months ago I was able to run for 1-2
> minutes before the system crashed in different ways or hanged.

I assume this is with the smp_call_function changes added to your tree,
right?

It would be nice to get the sun4m/sun4d bits written so I can integrate
that fix. :-)

* Re: sparc32 linux SMP
@ 2011-02-07 18:26 ` Daniel Hellstrom
From: Daniel Hellstrom @ 2011-02-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

David Miller wrote:

>From: Daniel Hellstrom <daniel@gaisler.com>
>Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:39:31 +0100
>

>>I just want to report that we have been able to run the SPEC2000
>>integer tests successfully on Linux SMP 2.6.38-rc1. After 2-3 days of
>>running the tests (users=2) on a dual core LEON@70MHz on Debian Etch,
>>the results were correct. Two months ago I was able to run for 1-2
>>minutes before the system crashed in different ways or hanged.
>>

>I assume this is with the smp_call_function changes added to your tree,
>right?

Yes, with the patches I sent to the list. At gaisler.com distribute a
"LEON Linux 2.6.36.3" package with all the patches I used.

>It would be nice to get the sun4m/sun4d bits written so I can integrate
>that fix. :-)

I agree, it's a pity I'm not so good with sun sparcs. If I find some
free time perhaps I could do an experimental implementation.. free time
has been a rarity lately, so don't expect it to happen... :)

Daniel

* Re: sparc32 linux SMP
@ 2011-02-07 18:57 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2011-02-07 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:26:23PM +0100, Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
>
>> From: Daniel Hellstrom <daniel@gaisler.com>
>> Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:39:31 +0100
>>

>>> I just want to report that we have been able to run the SPEC2000
>>> integer tests successfully on Linux SMP 2.6.38-rc1. After 2-3 days of
>>> running the tests (users=2) on a dual core LEON@70MHz on Debian Etch,
>>> the results were correct. Two months ago I was able to run for 1-2
>>> minutes before the system crashed in different ways or hanged.

This is very good news! Then we know a way forward how to fix
SS1000 / and likel some of the sun4m systems with > 1 processor too.

>> I assume this is with the smp_call_function changes added to your tree,
>> right?
>>

> Yes, with the patches I sent to the list. At gaisler.com distribute a
> "LEON Linux 2.6.36.3" package with all the patches I used.
>
>> It would be nice to get the sun4m/sun4d bits written so I can integrate
>> that fix. :-)
I have added this to my TODO list. But as I do not have any SMP system yet...
[Working on that]

> I agree, it's a pity I'm not so good with sun sparcs. If I find some
> free time perhaps I could do an experimental implementation.. free time
> has been a rarity lately, so don't expect it to happen... :)
If I take a stab on it later at least I hope you find time to review the stuff.

	Sam

* Re: sparc32 linux SMP
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-08  7:09 ` Daniel Hellstrom
From: Daniel Hellstrom @ 2011-02-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sparclinux

Sam Ravnborg wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 07:26:23PM +0100, Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
>

>>David Miller wrote:
>>

>>>From: Daniel Hellstrom <daniel@gaisler.com>
>>>Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:39:31 +0100

>This is very good news! Then we know a way forward how to fix
>SS1000 / and likel some of the sun4m systems with > 1 processor too.
>

>>>I assume this is with the smp_call_function changes added to your tree,
>>>right?
>>>

>>Yes, with the patches I sent to the list. At gaisler.com distribute a
>>"LEON Linux 2.6.36.3" package with all the patches I used.
>>

>>>It would be nice to get the sun4m/sun4d bits written so I can integrate
>>>that fix. :-)
>>>

>I have added this to my TODO list. But as I do not have any SMP system yet...
>[Working on that]
>

>>I agree, it's a pity I'm not so good with sun sparcs. If I find some
>>free time perhaps I could do an experimental implementation.. free time
>>has been a rarity lately, so don't expect it to happen... :)
>>

>If I take a stab on it later at least I hope you find time to review the stuff.

Sure, no problemo.

Daniel