* [Bridge] Problem configuring bridge as a hub between host server and running VM guest
@ 2011-02-04 16:17 Ravi Varun Nair
From: Ravi Varun Nair @ 2011-02-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

I am having a problem with configuring the bridge to work as a hub. My
setup is the following:

 I have a RHEL host server on which I am running KVM. I have a Linux guest
that I am running on this. A physical interface of the host is on the same
bridge as the guest's interface. The bridge inherits the mac address of
the physical interface on running the steps as mentioned in this link
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging . Also the
static IP address that was being originally provided to the physical
interface, is now given to the  bridge to enable networking for the host.

What I am trying to do is have a copy of all the traffic coming in on the
physical interface be given to the VM. To configure the bridge as a hub, I
set the ageing time value on the bridge to 0 as mentioned in a previous
post on this list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/bridge@lists.linux-foundation.org/msg01940.html
). The problem I am facing is that on the VM,  I only see the
traffic(using tcpdump) leaving the physical interface. I do not see the
traffic that is coming in to the physical interface. The bridge assumes(I
am guessing as it inherits the mac address of the physical interface),
that the incoming traffic is meant for itself and hence does not forward
on the traffic.

In case a second guest is introduced in the above scenario(with an
interface on the same bridge), then with the above configuration for
ageing time, all the traffic going to one guest is seen by the second
guest. So, the bridge does work as a hub for all other scenarios.

Could someone suggest if there is a way to work around this problem?

Thanks
varun

* Re: [Bridge] Problem configuring bridge as a hub between host server and running VM guest
@ 2011-02-15 16:03 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2011-02-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ravi Varun Nair; +Cc: bridge

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:17:29 -0500
Ravi Varun Nair <rvnair@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> What I am trying to do is have a copy of all the traffic coming in on the
> physical interface be given to the VM. T

A better way is to use tc mirred action to mirror packets to a dummy or other
interface.

* Re: [Bridge] Problem configuring bridge as a hub between host server and running VM guest
@ 2011-02-16 12:33   ` Andrew Woods
From: Andrew Woods @ 2011-02-16 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: bridge, Ravi Varun Nair

I'm wanting to do something similar (mirror certain frames on a physical
interface to a tap device). I've never use tc before, but it seems it only
works on the L3 packet level, does it also work with all L2 frames (eg STP),
or will I need to use something like ebtables?

Thanks,
Drew

@ 2011-02-16 22:07   ` Ravi Varun Nair
From: Ravi Varun Nair @ 2011-02-16 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: bridge

Thanks a ton Stephen. The tc mirred action worked well for mirroring the
ip traffic from the host to the vm.

From:   Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org>
To:     Ravi Varun Nair/Marlborough/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:     bridge@lists.linux-foundation.org