* spurious fail of git merge after rebasing
@ 2011-04-15 22:45 D. A. van Delft
From: D. A. van Delft @ 2011-04-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't find a
bugzilla or something for git.

Point is, I have found a scenario where sometimes git fails on
a specific merge.
Each time I start with the same identical git repository
(archived once and restored each time before a run) and run
the same fixed series of rebases and merges on it. Once in a
while it fails with a merge conflict, sometimes at first try,
sometimes after 10+ times. I have a canned set of testcases
which reproduces this behaviour. I have also narrowed it down
somewhat on how to work around, or prevent it from occurring.

However, given that it doesn't always fail or succeed, is
unexpected.

regards,
Danny A. van Delft

* Re: spurious fail of git merge after rebasing
@ 2011-04-18  6:10 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2011-04-18  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. A. van Delft; +Cc: git

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:45:12AM +0200, D. A. van Delft wrote:

> Point is, I have found a scenario where sometimes git fails on
> a specific merge.
> Each time I start with the same identical git repository
> (archived once and restored each time before a run) and run
> the same fixed series of rebases and merges on it. Once in a
> while it fails with a merge conflict, sometimes at first try,
> sometimes after 10+ times. I have a canned set of testcases
> which reproduces this behaviour. I have also narrowed it down
> somewhat on how to work around, or prevent it from occurring.
>
> However, given that it doesn't always fail or succeed, is
> unexpected.

Yeah, git should generally be deterministic. Can you show us your test
case?

-Peff

* Re: spurious fail of git merge after rebasing
@ 2011-04-18  7:37 ` Danny van Delft
From: Danny van Delft @ 2011-04-18  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git