* [GSoC 11] submodule improvements
@ 2011-05-08 12:05 Fredrik Gustafsson
From: Fredrik Gustafsson @ 2011-05-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,
I've been chosen to improve git submodules during the summer. My main
focus will be to move the .git-directory away from the submodules so
that submodules can be deleted and created in the working tree [1].

I will post updates on this list labeled [GSoC 11 submodule] for those
interested in following my work. I've also put up a fork of Junios repo
on github, where you can find my [2] branches.

My name is Fredrik Gustafsson, I study electronics with a software path
in Lund, Sweden.

My schedule is a bit strange because of the Swedish semesters, so my
work will begin tomorrow (Monday).

I'm looking forward to work with my mentors (whose already been very
supportive) and the rest of the git community.

[1] My proposal:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/iveqy/1

[2] Github-page
https://github.com/iveqy/git
--
Med vänliga hälsningar
Fredrik Gustafsson

tel: 0733-608274
e-post: iveqy@iveqy.com

* Re: [GSoC 11] submodule improvements
@ 2011-05-08 15:10 ` Magnus Bäck
From: Magnus Bäck @ 2011-05-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Gustafsson; +Cc: git

On Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 14:05 CEST,
     Fredrik Gustafsson <iveqy@iveqy.com> wrote:

> I've been chosen to improve git submodules during the summer. My main
> focus will be to move the .git-directory away from the submodules so
> that submodules can be deleted and created in the working tree [1].

[...]

> [1] My proposal:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/iveqy/1

The proposal says

    The submodule system is widely used, specially within the android
    platform.

which puzzles me somewhat. The Android platform uses the Repo tool
to help out with multiple gits in the same source tree, and Repo
currently isn't based on submodules. Work is however ongoing to
switch Repo into using submodules instead (which would make the
whole tool rather redundant). Are you thinking of that work, or
is there a misunderstanding somewhere?

[...]

--
Magnus Bäck                   Opinions are my own and do not necessarily
SW Configuration Manager      represent the ones of my employer, etc.

* Re: [GSoC 11] submodule improvements
@ 2011-05-08 21:01   ` Fredrik Gustafsson
From: Fredrik Gustafsson @ 2011-05-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Bäck; +Cc: Fredrik Gustafsson, git

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:10:07PM +0200, Magnus Bäck wrote:
> On Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 14:05 CEST,
>      Fredrik Gustafsson <iveqy@iveqy.com> wrote:
> > [1] My proposal:
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/iveqy/1
>
> The proposal says
>
>     The submodule system is widely used, specially within the android
>     platform.
>
> which puzzles me somewhat. The Android platform uses the Repo tool
> to help out with multiple gits in the same source tree, and Repo
> currently isn't based on submodules. Work is however ongoing to
> switch Repo into using submodules instead (which would make the
> whole tool rather redundant). Are you thinking of that work, or
> is there a misunderstanding somewhere?

That senctence can certainly be misinterpret, specially without the
sentence after.

With "the submodule system" I didn't meant the git implementation of
submodules but rather the use of multiple git-repositories connected in
some way.

The git submodule-commands is one way to achieve this, there's many
others, for example (part of) repo.

My goal is that the git submodule system should be good enough to be the
only submodule system needed to be used with git.

I'm sorry for being unclear in the proposal.

--
Med vänliga hälsningar
Fredrik Gustafsson

tel: 0733-608274